Oppo Plays 4k UHD ISO's!

I have just been playing around with an Oppo 203 ( with updated firmware ) and as an experiment, I tried a 4K UHD .iso which was on an SSD plugged in to the front USB port. And it played it beautifully!  Menu's , HDR, the works!  only thing that didnt activate was the tone mapping feature. But the picture was what you would expect a UHD disc to look like but without the long loading times.  It was way better than the Dune 4k player that  seems to stuff up HDR.  A quick check showed that it wont play 2K bluray iso's - in line with what we already know .   I will try a couple more later to prove it wasn't a fluke

I think we can assume that once the studios find out, Oppo will have to do an update to block  iso access like they had to do for bluray.   I might not update the firmware for a while............

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hi-Fi Whipped said:

What's the size of a UHD ISO?

can be 60 to 100 GB

Helps if you have unlimited or generous download allowance and good download speeds

Tasso ; I have come across some ways to create UHD iso's of a UHD disc but it requires a particular sort of bluray drive 

http://www.redmondpie.com/deuhd-can-rip-4k-uhd-blu-ray-discs/

Is this how you have derived your UHD iso files ; from a UHD disc ? Or if its a compressed Netflix download Hollywood may let it pass , good find and handy in any case :thumb:

Tasso ; I have come across some ways to create UHD iso's of a UHD disc but it requires a particular sort of bluray drive 

http://www.redmondpie.com/deuhd-can-rip-4k-uhd-blu-ray-discs/

Is this how you have derived your UHD iso files ; from a UHD disc ? Or if its a compressed Netflix download Hollywood may let it pass , good find and handy in any case :thumb:

Mine are downloads, full UHD iso only

Interesting. Does it play UHD folders as well or just the .iso images?

Also, is there a limitation on hard drive sizes? I recall the older Oppos would only accept up to 2TB.

I played off 1TB SSD . Haven't tried UHD folders yet

5 hours ago, Tasso said:

Mine are downloads, full UHD iso only

That's still good news ; if Hollywood do scuttle it maybe something like this will pop up ; I don't know if it works and didn't touch mine for fear of losing the iso playback too; before selling :cool:

I just came across these instructions for those who want to restore ISO playback to the BDP-93/95 players:

STANDARD/BASIC MOD:
1. Disconnect ethernet, and any USB devices and power up the player with no disc in the tray.
2. When it displays "no disc" wait for approx 4-5 seconds, and press GREEN-2-2 on the remote.
3. Press "setup" on remote.
4. Scroll down to "Device setup"
5. Place the bar on "Firmware Upgrade"
6. Press RED-8-5-2-0 on the remote.
7. Exit menu again by pressing setup button, NOT the ok button.
8. Now you can downgrade the firmware with the use of a usb stick, just follow the usual instructions from Oppo.

PRO MOD:
1 Disconnect ethernet, and any USB devices, and power up the player with no disc in the tray.
2 Press "setup" on remote
3 Scroll down to "Device setup"
4 Place the bar on "Firmware Upgrade"
5 Press RED-8-5-2-0 on the remote.
6 In this menu, press 1-1-4 on the remote.
7 Exit menu again by pressing setup button, NOT the ok button.
8 Now you can downgrade the firmware with the use of a usb stick, just follow the usual instructions from Oppo.

1 hour ago, cwt said:

That's still good news ; if Hollywood do scuttle it maybe something like this will pop up ; I don't know if it works and didn't touch mine for fear of losing the iso playback too; before selling :cool:

External players like Himedia Q10 Pro will play .iso and UHD/Bluray folders.  They can be connected to Oppo via HDMI in to take advantage of Oppo's video processing , tone mapping etc

17 minutes ago, Tasso said:

External players like Himedia Q10 Pro will play .iso and UHD/Bluray folders.  They can be connected to Oppo via HDMI in to take advantage of Oppo's video processing , tone mapping etc

Good point ; others include the Dune hd solo and the pro4k which give full bd iso menu's as well . The pro4k ironically also has a hdmi2.0 input :winky:  but no tone mapping etc ..

• Like 1

Had a fiddle with mine today. Looks like while it does indeed play UHD folders it won't play BD folders or ISOs, as Tasso previously mentioned. Peculiar!

Oh, and it also had no problem navigating a 3TB drive.

Edited by cashflag
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/3/2018 at 10:38 AM, Tasso said:

I have just been playing around with an Oppo 203 ( with updated firmware ) and as an experiment, I tried a 4K UHD .iso which was on an SSD plugged in to the front USB port. And it played it beautifully!  Menu's , HDR, the works!  only thing that didnt activate was the tone mapping feature. But the picture was what you would expect a UHD disc to look like but without the long loading times.  It was way better than the Dune 4k player that  seems to stuff up HDR.  A quick check showed that it wont play 2K bluray iso's - in line with what we already know .   I will try a couple more later to prove it wasn't a fluke

I think we can assume that once the studios find out, Oppo will have to do an update to block  iso access like they had to do for bluray.   I might not update the firmware for a while............

So, If I understood, Opponent 203 with latest original firmware can play BR UHD 4K ISO but not BR ISO? If so, only on usb drive or also trough LAN connection?

Thx for the info Polve.

1 hour ago, polve said:

So, If I understood, Opponent 203 with latest original firmware can play BR UHD 4K ISO but not BR ISO? If so, only on usb drive or also trough LAN connection?

Thx for the info Polve.

Plays folders too ( BDMV)  with full menu support - which is what I mainly use now.    I haven't actually tried to do this with any other version of Oppo firmware so I dont know what they are supposed to be able to handle.  I'm using beta firmware.

Edited by Tasso

47 minutes ago, Tasso said:

Plays folders too ( BDMV)  with full menu support - which is what I mainly use now.    I haven't actually tried to do this with any other version of Oppo firmware so I dont know what they are supposed to be able to handle.  I'm using beta firmware.

Did you try it through lan? or only USB?

• 4 weeks later...

17 minutes ago, errupin said:

Yes, it sad. I guess I will try with the Oppo, it is extraordinary for music as well. So I understand that i should update firmware to make UHD folders and menu support work, shouldn't I?

It works with Beta firmware- I haven't tried the later one yet