Flattening warped records

On Monday I received the newly remastered "Fear of a Blank Planet" only to discover last night that both discs were horrendously warped. The good folk at Burning Shed are sending a replacement, gratis, however I'd love to see if the concept of weight+time can actually work. Many years ago I tried the same using 2 panes of glass and a warm car which resulted in flatter vinyl but also loads of surface noise.

The question is, do you simply leave the record in its' poly sleeve on a flat surface and pile (carefully) some weight on top, then leave it for a week? Or two?

The records are unplayable, especially with my low-rider Stanton, so I have nothing to lose. But I'd like the best shot at a good result. 

So with this method what should be directly contacting the record surface?

I used to use the poly sleeve, with thin cardboard on top/bottom. And then slabs of granite. 

If its unplayable then one or two weeks probably wont help unless its in a very warm room. Temperature is the key to how long it might take.

See if any fellow SNAérs have a vinyl flat you can borrow.  Make sure you clean the record before flattening regardless of the method you use and as @Citroen has already said, heat is the key element (as is a flat surface obviously).  I reckon you need to get your record above 45 degrees, but that's based on previous experience and gut feel (and seeing how vinyl starts getting slightly floppy in my ultrasonic cleaner around this temp), nothing scientific.

1 hour ago, Citroen said:

I used to use the poly sleeve, with thin cardboard on top/bottom. And then slabs of granite. 

If its unplayable then one or two weeks probably wont help unless its in a very warm room. Temperature is the key to how long it might take.

Our spare bedroom gets the arvo sun and is normally closed up (hence gets stifling) so that may work. I don't have much granite but I may be able to round up some glass and a few books. Actually I think the desk in there would work just fine as a base.

55 minutes ago, ABG said:

See if any fellow SNAérs have a vinyl flat you can borrow.  Make sure you clean the record before flattening regardless of the method you use and as @Citroen has already said, heat is the key element (as is a flat surface obviously).  I reckon you need to get your record above 45 degrees, but that's based on previous experience and gut feel (and seeing how vinyl starts getting slightly floppy in my ultrasonic cleaner around this temp), nothing scientific.

I'm not sure how many flattening machines are knocking around SA, if any. So- vacuum clean, fresh poly bag, warm room, flat surface, weight and time. This will be interesting.

Grizzler,

ive got a vinyl flat you can borrow. Give me a call when you want to pick it up. I’ll be at WOMADelaide all weekend (incl. Mon) but if you drop bye before 10am I’ll be home. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Grizzly said:

I'm not sure how many flattening machines are knocking around SA, if any. 

At least one!  :thumb:  Good luck and remember to vacuum before flattening, otherwise noise can be an issue.  If it's really badly warped, I doubt you'll get it flat, but you should be able to get it to a playable stage.

Ive had a Vinyl Flat for a few years and have straightened some fairly warped records with excellent results. 

For the price i cant recomend them enough, even with the heating pouch they arent too expensive.

Shame your not in WA.

Great album by the way, didnt know they reissued it.

• Like 2

Ive had a Vinyl Flat for a few years and have straightened some fairly warped records with excellent results. 

For the price i cant recomend them enough, even with the heating pouch they arent too expensive.

Shame your not in WA.

Ol' mate Frank has me sorted with his record squisher. I'll pick it up Monday.

Stevie Wilson remastered Blank Planet, Deadwing and Absentia. I have #2 and #3 is on its way. Deadwing is proper lovely so I have high hopes for the others!

Shame your not in WA.

What's your opinion on the chances of recovery?http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5aa11429662b7/20180306_214535.mp4

18 minutes ago, Grizzly said:
5 hours ago, Butcho said:

Shame your not in WA.

Read more  

What's your opinion on the chances of recovery?https://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5aa11429662b7/20180306_214535.mp4

Look without seeing how bad they are its hard to say but i would be fairly hopeful.

Look without seeing how bad they are its hard to say but i would be fairly hopeful.

That link was a short video of the badness.

9 hours ago, Grizzly said:
17 hours ago, Butcho said:

That link was a short video of the badness.

The record flat will work a treat on that MP4 clip.Just dont over cook it.Leave it in the pouch until fully cooled down.

• Like 1

So I popped in the squisher and subsequently into the cooker for 4.5 hours today and let it cool for a good hour or so with the result being a substantial reduction in the "North Sea" vibe I was experiencing. There is still a little wobble evident so I may give it another run for 5 hours and see what the result is. All in all this gadget really works!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The only drawback to purchasing a new VF is the freight cost of $100usd for the discs and a pouch, ouch! (I just had a quote) 

• 1 year later...

Thought of sharing this as I came across the rather Diyed way of flattening record at someone's place few months ago.

According to my friend, the success rate of flattening the warped records is about 85%-90%.  Heating degree is 48'c for at least 5hours.

Those not terribly warped records are able to restore to its good shape  although they're not 100% flat compares with the original ones. 

I have no ideas what the heating device is , the warped record is sandwiched between the heavy tempered glass, covered with a small towel on top surface for 'toasting' as part of the heating process.

The safeness of this approach is yet to be proven 100% but I was told he's yet to destroy any flattened records so far.

I used to send my warped records for de-warping service at Goldmine using ORB ( if i'm not wrong ), about $10 each, the success rate is almost 95% and those that are failed to be recovered after flattening, they won't charge for it. 

Flat record.jpg

• Like 1