6moons review of SGR Elite amp

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Drizzt

ow very exciting. Ill read it now.

Thanks for the link jaspert.

Edit: What a fantastic review. I'm so happy to see another Aussie audio company start to get some well deserved recognition for their outstanding work thus far. Congrats guys.

Edited by Drizzt

I spoke with Harry last year who had nothing but praise for his son. Upon reading the article it does appear he is a genius at his craft!

I am looking forward to the production of their mono block power amplifiers in the near future.

Great write-up EK,

What a wonderful success story the SGR team is becoming. I had a good feeling about these guys when I first met them two-and-a-half years ago, it's fantastic to see they are fulfilling their dreams so determinedly. The enormous pleasure their system has given me over the time it has been at my home has been quite an addition to my life enjoyment. Hopefully the new facilities (which I would love to visit) will be the end of the development delays experienced by the early purchasers of SGR equipment, though knowing the team as I do they will always be developing new gear, so there will always be eager audio fans patiently waiting for their "babies" to appear

Thanks guys, keep up the good work.

Grimmie

G'day,

Thanks for the link to the review. Is that the first independent SGR review published, or have there been others?

Lots of interesting stuff on the internals and design (maybe too much detail given the copycats out there), some history of the company and shout-outs to all involved, followed by a relatively brief review of the amplifier's performance. I've seen these amps up close, and visually they are a little different (the granite fascia and Xbox-like design may not appeal to some). Not heard 'em however as I've only listened to the Convex series speakers (CX4F and CX3B) with their plate amps.

--Geoff

Haven't read the whole review yet, but am a little undecided about the look of this amp, but that's a minor concern if it performs, some serious heat sinks on that thing :)

Oh I'd love to hear the SGR gear with a decent tube pre like the Supretek. It would add the body & romance I like I suspect. Didn't YSW add a tube pre of late - a Lamm? I bet his system sounds amazing now.

Not crazy about the styling..but hey...it certainly is unique and original. Looks a little like a Transformer that had sex with a granite kitchen top. As Ed said - love it or hate it it certainly grabs your attention.

Congratulations Ralstons - well deserved praise from a highly creditable source. Keep up the good work.

Oh I'd love to hear the SGR gear with a decent tube pre like the Supretek. It would add the body & romance I like I suspect. Didn't YSW add a tube pre of late - a Lamm? I bet his system sounds amazing now.

Not crazy about the styling..but hey...it certainly is unique and original. Looks a little like a Transformer that had sex with a granite kitchen top. As Ed said - love it or hate it it certainly grabs your attention.

Congratulations Ralstons - well deserved praise from a highly creditable source. Keep up the good work.

Hehehe, I suspect the audio compass chez Skywalker may be calibrated slightly more to your liking these days Tricka, but glowing glass (Lamm is very different to Supratek BTW) is among many, many, many interesting changes since you last visited and each contributes in its own way.

The EL-series amps will certainly polarise opinion with their styling, no argument from me. I have an EL-15 stacked atop an EL-30 for each speaker and when tucked neatly between rack shelves it looks very cool indeed, at least to these eyes. They are very heavy buggers for such a compact design as my bad back suggests.

I would have liked more detailed comparisons with Ed's NuForce amps also but you can't please everyone. It was a very nice write-up with some great photos of the internals and the one-on-one with Stuart provided some nice context for the international readers.

YS

A great write-up EK, I enjoyed the read.

Congratulations, and all the best to the SGR team. Hopefully this is just the beginning of a long and successful journey.

There is no doubt about the attention to detail in all of their products, it certainly does make them a stand-out from many other offerings.

That was a great read,, very enjoyable!!

I'd love one of those beasts!!

I had the chance to go down there and (briefly) meet the team,, and it was a pleasant experience.. I went there with the intention to buy and 18" driver and build my own baffle.. But, once I saw one of their empty baffles, I quickly noticed the build quality was quite exceptional,, so I ordered one, and am waiting patiently :)

I reckon it wont be long before I start "planning an upgrade" incorporating one of those amps reviewed in that article :D

Cheers..

have been waiting for this one. Thanks Jaspert, will read it later this arvo.

Tricka, i had a supratek with mine, but felt felt the moon gave me that little extra.

The supratek had a little more bottom end, but easily replicated with the control one has on the crossovers

It really is fantastic to see some recognition of the hard work the Ralstons have put in along the way and especially to see some focus on the electronics.

Lots of people now have listened to the SGR speakers and are blown away by the quality on offer, however it is all too easy to overlook the electronics that form the backbone of the speakers and make it all happen. Some well deserved recognition S.

Well done to both SGR and the reviewer. I really enjoyed reading that article :)

Great to see some more widespread recognition of this great brand and of the dedicated team of three. I've been out of the loop for a while so the news of a new production facility is very exciting. Well done to Harry Stuart and Anne.

Cheers

M

Interesting review, I enjoyed reading it. I'm not sure whether the amp that I heard (about a year ago) was this amp, part of this series, or an earlier amp. I think it might have been part of this series.

It seems that Edgar found it to be a very neutral and capable amp, and I agree (if that's what I heard!).

BTW, what a well-behaved thread this is :).

Thank God for that!!

I think an SNA SGR day would be a great idea...but PLEASE not on a Saturday!!!

Cheers

M

Interesting review, I enjoyed reading it. I'm not sure whether the amp that I heard (about a year ago) was this amp, part of this series, or an earlier amp. I think it might have been part of this series.

It seems that Edgar found it to be a very neutral and capable amp, and I agree (if that's what I heard!).

BTW, what a well-behaved thread this is :).