Do you accept Apple’s reasoning in slowing down old phones?

Guest thathifiguy

Yep. I'd rather it run slow than shutoff altogether. At least in light of this, they are significantly reducing the price of replacement batteries.

First, let's put this in context. All phone batteries degrade over time. Other phone manufacturers include a 2 year battery warranty, e.g. Google Pixel and all Samsung phones. New Samsung phones have a guarantee that after two years of charge and discharge cycles, their batteries will retain 95% charge of a new battery. 

Let's also remember that in light of this scandal, a number of other makers have come out and said that they do NOT throttle phones when the batteries degrade - HTC, Motorola, Google, and Samsung. 

Apple decided that they would secretly throttle the iPhone's CPU to "preserve user experience". 

If the OS served a pop up notification that went something like this - "We have slowed your phone to preserve your battery life. Having your phone battery replaced will resolve this problem" - that would be acceptable. 

Instead, they decided to keep it secret. Imagine if you brought your car for a 2 year service, and the technicians secretly reduce your engine power by 40% because they see you are wearing out your tyres and brake pads. Then they say that the solution is to replace the car with a new one. 

There is no way anybody should believe Apple. They did it deliberately. 

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Keith_W said:

First, let's put this in context. All phone batteries degrade over time. Other phone manufacturers include a 2 year battery warranty, e.g. Google Pixel and all Samsung phones. New Samsung phones have a guarantee that after two years of charge and discharge cycles, their batteries will retain 95% charge of a new battery. 

Let's also remember that in light of this scandal, a number of other makers have come out and said that they do NOT throttle phones when the batteries degrade - HTC, Motorola, Google, and Samsung. 

Apple decided that they would secretly throttle the iPhone's CPU to "preserve user experience". 

If the OS served a pop up notification that went something like this - "We have slowed your phone to preserve your battery life. Having your phone battery replaced will resolve this problem" - that would be acceptable. 

Instead, they decided to keep it secret. Imagine if you brought your car for a 2 year service, and the technicians secretly reduce your engine power by 40% because they see you are wearing out your tyres and brake pads. Then they say that the solution is to replace the car with a new one. 

There is no way anybody should believe Apple. They did it deliberately. 

Well said.  This is what I was getting at.  

The question in my head still remains, did they throttled the phones to preserve battery life as they said, or was something more sinister; such as to pissed the user off into buying the latest from the Apple econsystem!   It's a sadistic predatory implementation if the 2nd was the real facts, hence a class action is now in the process.   Totally agreed if they implemented an instruction to display a warning when the battery was getting close to being exhausted!  But in real life not all products are operating at the "peak" specifications.  It comes down to tolerances of components,  environment and the way it gets used.  Once the product is in the consumers hands its usage is unique and not one will be used the same.  It's like all vehicles are not tuned properly off the production line,  once they land at there predetermined destination they are then properly setup and tuned as every part of the world exhibit different environmentsl conditions, therefore you can never achieve "peak" specification or performance.

Edited by Addicted to music

Its just another example of planned obsolescence, ie: deliberately make the older product less desirable to use in order to force you into buying the new model (thereby contributing to the increasing global problem of waste production more than necessary).

All companies do the same thing to some degree, but Apple seem to be one of the worst offenders. You've got to laugh at the comment "preserve user experience". Yeah, well we all know what that means, especially with Apple. They are taking their customers for mugs, treating them as fools, and sadly too many of them are willing to comply (just witness the "customer experience" queues of devotees that form outside the Apple temples every time they release a new product). Unfortunately the media are also willing accomplices. Why is every new Apple product release treated as a news story? Its just a new model of smartphone, companies release them all the time, no big deal.

Of course they did it deliberately, its part of their company strategy. If you read the wording of their so-called apology, you can see that as just another step in the strategy.

• Like 3

Interesting

Running an IPhone 4, forget how old it is and it's had 1 battery replacement several years ago, cost $6 from FeeBay.

Works the same as the day it was purchased (the day it was purchased update function was switched off) , has never been updated, why update something that runs perfectly  fine ? Mind it's used as a phone, not a mobile PC Workstation

(similar rules apply to W7 never ever update)

Haven't had any real comparability issues either, generally it's some little patch required, Java or PDF update, rather than a full update or newer OS.

3 minutes ago, 125dBmonster said:

Interesting

Running an IPhone 4, forget how old it is and it's had 1 battery replacement several years ago, cost $6 from FeeBay.

Works the same as the day it was purchased (the day it was purchased update function was switched off) , has never been updated, why update something that runs perfectly  fine ? Mind it's used as a phone, not a mobile PC Workstation

(similar rules apply to W7 never ever update)

Haven't had any real comparability issues either, generally it's some little patch required, Java or PDF update, rather than a full update or newer OS.

I ran the iPhone 4 since its release, never needed to replaced the battery,  only upgraded it to a 5 for 4G because there was an opportunity at work to do so.

TBH,  the iPhones are the only phones that has gone without a glitch, all the other Nokia, Erricson, Motorola didn't last more than 12 months.

11 minutes ago, Addicted to music said:

I ran the iPhone 4 since its release, never needed to replaced the battery,  only upgraded it to a 5 for 4G because there was an opportunity at work to do so.

TBH,  the iPhones are the only phones that has gone without a glitch, all the other Nokia, Erricson, Motorola didn't last more than 12 months.

Yep that's why I stick with it.

Did go to a sony Experia Compact for a few weeks, was nice but didn't like being at work and was literally broken in half when I lent over and it was stuck between me and a wall in my pocket the whole time, write off sadly. 

Service Tech told me to stick with the 4 for as long as humanly possible. 

Would like a hot spot function though, my only wish of the I4.

Happy New Year !!!! and no updating :) 

17 hours ago, warweary said:

What's really needed is a way to permanently stay with one particular ios version that is working sweet on ones iphone.

+1, agree totally

Although to make mega millions of dollars in profit, those that make the phones think differently, obviously

I have no difficulty with Apple's logic though I would like to know by how much the performance has been "throttled".  Where I do disagree it that they didn't give the consumer the choice to throttle or not.  

For many users phones are more like a workstation and become progressively more intensively used to a point where they are working to their limits, so you suffer reduced performance or upgrade.  If you don't use it intensively then it will perform much as intended.

Consumer choice!

If slowing the phones down preserved battery life then that’s a better evil than phones simply failing quicker without the added feature. It’s simply to most a different reason to complain instead of complaining about phone batteries going kaput. 

Me, I keep up with tech, so it’s not an issue. 

57 minutes ago, Saxon Hall said:

Do you have an opinion on Apples announcement that they deliberately slowed down the phones?

I am interested, as you are are a long term user of their products

5 hours ago, 125dBmonster said:

Works the same as the day it was purchased (the day it was purchased update function was switched off) , has never been updated, why update

My sister came for a visit the other day with her ancient iPhone 4.

Never been updated and I was surprised how quick it was.

My iPhone 4s was unusable by the time I got rid of it after a couple updates.

I have an iPhone 4 as well. Back then I had already suspected that iOS updates were slowing down the phones (after what happened to my iPhone 3). After I replaced it with another phone, I kept it in my drawer and refused to update to the new iOS. 

Then a friend asked to borrow my iPhone 4. He updated it to the new iOS. What WAS a smooth running phone suddenly became a slow wreck. On top of that, apps kept crashing. 

Using an old OS on a smartphone these days does not work for a few reasons. Firstly, third party apps get updated and will not run on older operating systems. Secondly - even if you don't want to update the apps, the apps might force you to update by refusing to launch unless the latest version is installed ... which requires a new OS. It might work for you if all you use is SMS, the dialler, and a web client. 

The phone I replaced the iPhone with, a Motorola Atrix, still works. It won't run any of the new apps but it is as quick as the day I bought it. 

The iPhone 4 now sits in my drawer next to all my retired phones. Incidentally, my old flip phone Motorolas still work perfectly, albeit with dreadful battery life. 

13 minutes ago, Tim D said:

My sister came for a visit the other day with her ancient iPhone 4.

Never been updated and I was surprised how quick it was.

My iPhone 4s was unusable by the time I got rid of it after a couple updates.

Yep, bit of a bugger that. The phone Dealers will encourage updating, same with the PC Sellers actually.

2 hours ago, JSmith said:

1400 MHz to 600MHz.

JSmith :ninja:

So you are saying it is running at less than half speed?

Any idea what the the criteria are for initiating the slow down --- age? battery cycles ?or condition?, or just model number?