JVC X7900 / X9900 Owners Discussion Thread

Hi all. Looks like I am going to have to install my x7900 and set the lens shift at the extreme end of the vertical range, ie. my projector has to be quite a bit higher than the top of the screen but can be center aligned horizontally. I have read that some projectors can suffer a little from image "focus and uniformity issues" with lens shift in the extreme end of the range. It is not suggested that this is a major issue in the real world. Just curious though, is anyone using their JVC with extreme lens shift settings noticed any image problems? I ask as it might impact on my decision to include an extension column which is otherwise highly undesirable in our setting.

Cheers,

Allan

49 minutes ago, bigkid said:

Hi all. Looks like I am going to have to install my x7900 and set the lens shift at the extreme end of the vertical range, ie. my projector has to be quite a bit higher than the top of the screen but can be center aligned horizontally. I have read that some projectors can suffer a little from image "focus and uniformity issues" with lens shift in the extreme end of the range. It is not suggested that this is a major issue in the real world. Just curious though, is anyone using their JVC with extreme lens shift settings noticed any image problems? I ask as it might impact on my decision to include an extension column which is otherwise highly undesirable in our setting.

Cheers,

Allan

Hi Allan,

i have the jvc X35 and I have it at the extreme vertical shift and don’t notice any issues. 

Cheers,

K.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bigkid said:

Cheers,

Allan

My x7900 is as far across and down as possible. No issues that I've noticed.

• Like 1

Looks like the 'HDR' setting on the projector may not be switching between your normal mode (for a non HDR picture content) vs HDR content.
Does your projector do a loud click when switching a 4K HDR content?

If not, it's not engaging HDR mode on the PJ.

Try turning off any forced picture modes or res at the player. Set it all back to UHD Auto res, auto colour, auto chroma.
Don't force anything.
If this fixes it, press Info on the PJ and see what res, colour, etc it is receiving.
And see if the PJ has switched to HDR colour profile mode or not.
Your player, hopefully, displays a HDR logo when playing HDR content like a 4K movie that has HDR.

If not, your player has the issue.

So I just hooked my PS4 up to my 7900 via a NAD 777v3 for the first time and the image I get is attached. The colors are all messed up. I have high speed 4K HDMI cables from EZYHD hooked up (2M to Amp and 5M to Projector). My Apple TV is passing 4K HDR 60HZ fine. I swapped the HDMI cables and no change.

Any one come across this before?

Cheers
EC9CEE5D-D1BF-41D8-88DD-9C85EDF67B97.thumb.jpeg.f8788f9e48cf36f08b85a31393e73b47.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all.

We are still yet to install our new x7900 projector. Local installers seem to be flat chat. In the mean time I have been upgrading our HTPC so that it is suitable for playing UHD discs. I intend using the Intel processor graphics. Not that we have many UHD discs, just looking at future-proofing, and gotta see Attenborough's latest! ? However, the reason for my post is that we have a lot of DVDs ripped to a NAS. Typically we watch these using VLC, although I am looking into MPC-HC. My concern is for the several thousand of old movie rips we have, think 1940's and 50's, and now playing them on a much larger screen than we have been previously used to. Some of these are 480p and 576p. I am expecting some degradation in quality. I have not paid much attention to upscaling before, but it may be something I need to look into now. Whatever solution I come up with needs to be simple to operate as my other half has no interest in going beyond turning the system on and clicking 'Play'. So, my query is what is the upscaling like on the JVC? The alternative, something like MadVR with MPC-HC at the source looks quite daunting and a lot of much trouble. Given the quality of the x7900 do I need to be concerned about upscaling at the source HTPC, or can I just leave it to the x7900? Or, is there a simple, 'other-half' friendly solution to ensuring the best quality from poor quality content?

Appreciate your advice.

Cheers,

Allan

Edited by bigkid

If you use a PC for playback it will be doing the upscaling to 4K in video hardware, like it or not. I can't comment of the quality of Intel's inbuilt video, it never used to be much good.

Software upscaling with sharpening is definatelly better but not strictly necessary.

When playing PAL DVD's (50Hz) make sure you run your desktop at 4K 25Hz or motion will be bad. The picture will be pretty ordinary no matter what you do as DVD is very low resolution and old DVD's used dodgy compression.

• Like 1

Thanks Owen. Bit hard to test without a 4K 'screen' to send to. All the player is doing for now is upscaling to 1080p. The 'GPU' is not working much at all.  Quite frustrating having to wait on installation. Fingers crossed for next week. If the Intel doesn't work out I can always start looking for a separate GPU with more grunt.

Thanks for the tip on the 4K 25Hz for DVD.

Cheers,

Allan

• 1 month later...

Loving the X9500 I picked up a little while back and then had someone professionally calibrate. Absolutely chalk and cheese step up from the JVC X5k range.

The detail captured in some of the shots in A Star is Born is quite impressive.....

Just took this screenshot with my iPad and while it looks good it doesn’t do justice to the image on the screen, very happy with our X9900.

7DD6B548-6CC3-499F-8844-AB404FF19000.thumb.jpeg.53e2b52f17387f3d4fda6f71ca4bebc5.jpeg
  • Like 1

Hey everyone,

I watched Game of Thrones Ep 3 the other night on my x7900. I struggled with some of the dark scenes to see what was going on. I watched it again last night on my LG OLED and the difference was massive. 

I know OLEDS have the best blacks. But I am wondering if there is something I can be doing with my x7900 to be a bit better? 

I have not modified anything. I was on Cinema mode, Low lamp, Auto 1, Contrast 0 and brightness 7.

its not calibrated at all. Would that make a big difference?

I was watching a 1080P version through Plex on a PS4.

Cheers

7 minutes ago, Dbuns said:

Hey everyone,

I watched Game of Thrones Ep 3 the other night on my x7900. I struggled with some of the dark scenes to see what was going on. I watched it again last night on my LG OLED and the difference was massive. 

I know OLEDS have the best blacks. But I am wondering if there is something I can be doing with my x7900 to be a bit better? 

I have not modified anything. I was on Cinema mode, Low lamp, Auto 1, Contrast 0 and brightness 7.

Cheers

just down to calibration....

have you setup for output on the projector ? with a light meter ? for SDR-SD/HD blu-ray you want minimum 12-16FL nominal 14fl at centre of screen. for UHD HDR you want 30FL

also worth looking via the clipping charts with the masiciola files re brightness and contrast settings :)

if a bit too much perhaps consider a professional calibration ? 

these things can be set and forget but just with a little bit of setup effort which is easily done and with not a lot needing to be done. a pro calibration will 100% i am sure take to another level past the basics :)

have posted in the thread above some basics, including re light meter and such .... 

No I haven’t calibrated it, past playing with some setting in the menu.

I will take a look at your post on autocal tonight. 

Any idea on what a professional calibration costs?

cheers

2 minutes ago, Dbuns said:

No I haven’t calibrated it, past playing with some setting in the menu.

I will take a look at your post on autocal tonight. 

Any idea on what a professional calibration costs?

cheers

400-500-700 just depends how much you want calibrated how many sources etc etc. theres a few options. 

but if you have a light meter just to get the output right is about 5min of work :) 

note I am NOT talking about an autocal...jsut some basics... which you will still need to do irrespective of autocal. 

if want to look at autocal that has a whole thread on own as probably seen :)

3 minutes ago, Dbuns said:

Anyone on here have similar issues, or compares that episode with their JVC to an OLED or similar?

anyone will unless they dont setup for it .... projectors are not plug and play they need to be setup to suit installation... ie throw... screen size.. and for respective source SDR/HDR or you are going to see what seeing...

if someone takes out of box and plugs in and its fantastic its probably just pure luck or they down know any better / what it can be like :) even with just the basics :) 

1 hour ago, Dbuns said:

Hey everyone,

Cheers

Apparently Poxtel reduced the compression on replays after the well deserved sh!tstorm of criticism - did you record the first broadcast and rewatch it, or was it one of Poxtel's later broadcasts? If it was the latter, then that might go a long way to explaining the differences.

33 minutes ago, Dbuns said:

No it was off a 1080P file played via Plex on a PS4. The same version and quality was played on both devices.

OK. not sure what your issue was. Picture quality was abysmal in parts on our 65" LG C7 OLED.

So I just installed Plex on my Apple TV 4K. Massive difference from the PS4?! I’m swapping between the two sources playing the same file and it is night and day. Go figure hey.

OLED is still better obviously. But I’m going to at setting the projector up properly

• Like 2

On 04/05/2019 at 9:48 AM, Dbuns said:

Anyone on here have similar issues, or compares that episode with their JVC to an OLED or similar?

I have a JVC  X7000 and an LG OLED. The former cannot achieve what the latter can regarding blacks regardless of calibration. Projectors still have a long way to go to match OLED (virtually perfect blacks). I doubt that it will ever be achieved; in fact the latest generation of JVC projectors cannot even achieve the black levels of the previous generation.

To get the absolute best black levels from your projector (but still inferior to OLED) your room must be as dark and as non light reflective as possible.

You don't want to go past brightness +2 max on the JVC, you will totally kill it's contrast ability.

Make sure the room is very dark too. Also Auto 1 is very agressive, with game of thrones being well under 1% ADL for the whole episode it would have clamped the iris for almost the whole show. That would have clipped blacks. Best to use Auto 2. It's less agressive and won't so much have that issue.

Also what gamma are you using? Normal? If so that's ok. That's gamma 2.2. if using 2.4 and that show is dark you could try 2.2 and it will look better.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

What is an expected lifespan of a bulb in an x7900?

I've had my projector for 2 weeks and just stumbled across the lamp hours menu and it's over 100 already. 

I must've left is on or something as I definitely haven't actively used it for this long. I'm assuming out of the box it would have been zero but i didn't check at the time. 

I've since changed the setup so it will turn off after 4 hours. 

3 minutes ago, Scotttj said:

What is an expected lifespan of a bulb in an x7900?

I've had my projector for 2 weeks and just stumbled across the lamp hours menu and it's over 100 already. 

I must've left is on or something as I definitely haven't actively used it for this long. I'm assuming out of the box it would have been zero but i didn't check at the time. 

I've since changed the setup so it will turn off after 4 hours. 

is it new or 2nd hand ? the bulb hours do clock over pretty accurately.... perhaps had indeed left on or something ?  and yes should be 0 out the box if brand new.... unless dealer did a shifty or something .....  

as far as life span its 4500 in low lamp level. which is about right i think. I have read some who have had 3000 or so hours wiht no drop off...

• Like 1