Oppo UHD 4K Owners & Discussion Thread

Nothing wrong with your file. It’s perfectly fine. I suspect it could be due to the AVR not having the latest EDID specification for Atmos....all equipment need to conform to this standard for it to work properly 

Bro, there is no such thing as EDID for Atmos...EDID is related to Display Information signal send out from source to display. Atmos is an audio container, there is no link or connection to EDID.

Anyway back to the question of Dolby Atmos not able to be played back on Oppo, I have tried many times in the past and some mkv able to playback Dolby Atmos track just fine - for instance, if you download a test clip  from Dolby website which was encoded in mkv format, it can actually playback fine on Oppo UDP-203 with no issue...but for some, it won't. This led me to believe that encoding could be issue. If we do a remux using say mkvmerge (MKNVToolNix) and make it m2ts, it sometimes work, sometimes don't...The only way Dolby Atmos work is to have the movie encoded in BD ISO or BDMV file structure...The point here is Dolby Atmos in mkv is a hit or miss thing for Oppo...because there is too many issues related to compatibility.

Bro, there is no such thing as EDID for Atmos...EDID is related to Display Information signal send out from source to display. Atmos is an audio container, there is no link or connection to EDID.

Anyway back to the question of Dolby Atmos not able to be played back on Oppo, I have tried many times in the past and some mkv able to playback Dolby Atmos track just fine - for instance, if you download a test clip  from Dolby website which was encoded in mkv format, it can actually playback fine on Oppo UDP-203 with no issue...but for some, it won't. This led me to believe that encoding could be issue. If we do a remux using say mkvmerge (MKNVToolNix) and make it m2ts, it sometimes work, sometimes don't...The only way Dolby Atmos work is to have the movie encoded in BD ISO or BDMV file structure...The point here is Dolby Atmos in mkv is a hit or miss thing for Oppo...because there is too many issues related to compatibility.

exactly what i thought and i actually told the LG engineer off in Singapore for taking the easy way out and pushing the blame to Onkyo without any evidence. Back then i was troubleshooting an issue on Dolby Atmos not playing vide netflix to AVR. I was convinced it was a Netflix or an LG issue. They later troubleshoot and escalated the issue to LG Korea and found that the firmware of the AVR was the culprit. I was told by LG engineers in Korea that they have this EDID standard that somehow affects the Audio Return channel, and that is causing the Dolby Atmos passthrough to fail on the AVR. At the same time they confirmed that denon has a similar issue. Yamaha AVRs were working fine and certain models of Onkyo working fine, which is why i am checking if doggie is using a Denon. They helped me write in to Onkyo to explain the cause and Onkyo promised a release firmware upgrade on 31st Jan18. True enough, after the firmware update on the RZ5100, everything works like a charm. Be it netflix atmos, ARC, Remux on oppo, everything pass through without issues.

exactly what i thought and i actually told the LG engineer off in Singapore for taking the easy way out and pushing the blame to Onkyo without any evidence. Back then i was troubleshooting an issue on Dolby Atmos not playing vide netflix to AVR. I was convinced it was a Netflix or an LG issue. They later troubleshoot and escalated the issue to LG Korea and found that the firmware of the AVR was the culprit. I was told by LG engineers in Korea that they have this EDID standard that somehow affects the Audio Return channel, and that is causing the Dolby Atmos passthrough to fail on the AVR. At the same time they confirmed that denon has a similar issue. Yamaha AVRs were working fine and certain models of Onkyo working fine, which is why i am checking if doggie is using a Denon. They helped me write in to Onkyo to explain the cause and Onkyo promised a release firmware upgrade on 31st Jan18. True enough, after the firmware update on the RZ5100, everything works like a charm. Be it netflix atmos, ARC, Remux on oppo, everything pass through without issues.

Firstly, I have to applaud LG for been THE MOST RESPONSIVE manufacturer. For every iteration of their OLED 4K TV, you can see how much effort they put in and also quick to get issues resolved on display related issues. Kudos to them...

Thanks for the info related to the ARC and firmware related fix for AVR to get proper bitstreaming of Dolby Atmos working on the LG TV.  This seems to be a fix targeted at AVR connected to a TV source because of the built in Netflix app. But the question here is...for those w/o it...meaning media player, bluray player such as Oppo. For what its worth, if Onkyo and Yamaha can do it right, especially the former releasing a fix last month, perhaps Denon and Marantz (D&M) can do something about it as well. But for the time I have my Oppo UDP-203 pairing up with my Denon X7200WA, it did not work as well as I hope when it comes to mkv files with Dolby Atmos embedded tracks. Just wondering, if LG is kind enough to write in to Onkyo regarding their ARC related issue which they claimed to be a bug with their EDID, can they also write in on behalf of the D&M groups as well?

Yes the LG Engineers went all the way to get this resolved, one of the main reasons why I have been an LG customer for many years, I still support LG because their Engineers and CS are really good and know what they are doing.

Same for Oppo. Some of the remux files that couldn’t be played back on popocorn vten and a400, actually played flawlessly on the Oppo. The only downside so far is inability to play bdiso and ripped BDMV with full menu. Apart from that, it is a first class HDR bluray player 205. Still the player to beat for 2018. Interface, compatibility, quality, everything seems good.

Doggie may wanna try this:

1.after firmware update, reset to factory default

2. Erase persistent storage

3. Connect using a single HDMI straight from Oppo to AvR.

4. Switch off ARC on avr.

Try the above and report back if this works.

I’ve tested again on my oppo 205 last night , a few of the remux mkv files playback perfectely for Atmos HDR, no problem at all.

Doggie may wanna try this:

1.after firmware update, reset to factory default

2. Erase persistent storage

3. Connect using a single HDMI straight from Oppo to AvR.

4. Switch off ARC on avr.

1. waiting for new firmware. None reported for Au models

2. might do that but my player is brand new

3. always did that

4. always did that

FYI bd-mod has officially announced can downgrade jailbreak any version of 10X & 20X. For 20X version will be 0329. No need send the set can remote jailbreak. Can use special code SGSPECIAL to get USD$10 discount!

I am having trouble with my 203,I'm watching TV series blind spot ,it is dtsma 5.1
But oppo will only output to my marantz pcm 2.0?
Have tried changing audio output setting from auto to bitstream doesn't make any difference ?help please
Cheers Muri

• Volunteer
6 minutes ago, muriwai said:

I am having trouble with my 203,I'm watching TV series blind spot ,it is dtsma 5.1
Have tried changing audio output setting from auto to bitstream doesn't make any difference ?help please
Cheers Muri

@muriwai Have you checked that you have the correct audio selected in the disc menu?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, muriwai said:

Cheers Muri

have checked audio on disc selected muri ? just some times they default to pcm 2.0

also wonder if a print error on sound track does happen

no idea on specific series sorry

and oh ... havent put the dvd/blu-ray in by mistake ? have done that before :D 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, muriwai said:

Disc menu only one option
Dtsma 5.1
Long hold of info button on oppo confirms this as the audio,then when I scroll down to bottom of that info it shows output of pcm 2.0
It's doing my head in

hmm can imagine doing head in. is this only disc this happens on muri ? that would be odd. or some setting changed recently ? 

otherwise i hope cwt's onto something.

ps what is marantz info saying ? 

Done firmware update. Erase persistent storage.

MLP Atmos.

But sending out MPCM 7.1.

My display says Atmos so I would assume it works. I am using stereo, prior to the firmware update, the sound was distorted.