Oppo UHD 4K Owners & Discussion Thread

• Volunteer
4 minutes ago, :) al said:

so back to oppo australia I go....will contact my retailer this morning to make sure they know... 

Good luck with that Al, they are useless, there was a fw updated for the 103/D months ago in the U.S.  and when I contacted Oppo Australia (InterDyn), I was told yes we'll have that out soon, a while later I contacted them again stil same story, will be out soon.................well guess what, it's still NOT OUT.  :emot-bang: 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, wooferocau said:

I have as of this morning ordered the Panasonic UB900 , they have dropped to around the $650 here in Aus now. When it arrives i  will put it up against the Oppo . Will be interesting to see which player i end up holding onto.

Youll also need the fury with it if wanting to do HDR-> SDR

Encountered a harrowing experience while trying to setup the Oppo earlier.  Initially, I had it connected to my Denon X7200WA and after powering up, the Oppo pretty much hung upon starting up.  Powering on and off the Oppo and the Denon did not rectify the problem nor did the changing of HDMI cables or HDMI port connections on the Denon.  Even swapping the same HDMI cable back and forth with the Samsung 4K player (No playback issues with the Sammy) did not help.  Finally decided to connect the Oppo directly to my OLED TV and finally it started to behave properly.  Not sure what is causing the issues but I have initiated the firmware update on the Oppo and the Denon and going to retry the AVR connections tomorrow again.  Not a good outcome while trying to setup a new toy past midnight.  :(

Sorry to hear that. I have the same AVR as yours except that I connect it to my 4K projector via HDCP 2.2 input. Everything works perfectly w/o any issue at first start-up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AidenL View Post
I didn't receive quite as positive a response......

Aiden,

We have no time estimate as to when we will have the HDR Strip function working reliably. It is an experimental features that we will continue to improve through firmware, but we would guess that it will be months before this feature is fully functional with no red-shift.

Best Regards, 

Customer Service 
OPPO Digital, Inc. 
162 Constitution Dr.
Menlo Park, CA 94025
Service@oppodigital.com 
Tel: 650-961-1118 
Fax: 650-961-1119

Seems to confirm what I suspected, which is that they have no SDR tone mapping implemented for HDR to SDR BT2020 (yet)... At least it sounds like they are working on it, otherwise it doesn't really make sense to extend the return window. What they call the red push is simply what happens when you display rec-709 content in BT2020. It's not only red, it's all the colors, red is just the most visible when oversaturated because it's obvious with skin tones. Green is pushed too. And blue.

I hope for owners that I'm wrong, but I'd be surprised if they come up with a fix in weeks, unless they have no issue more important to fix first (i.e. issues which are a problem for every user, not just projector owners or owners of an SDR WCG display).

Been corresponding with quite a few EX UB900 users who jumped and purchased the Oppo, ALL are returning the Oppo and hanging onto the UB900 and in some cases Re-Purchasing the UB900.

Some are because of the disaster with the SDR/HDR mapping, but also the "Soft" nature of the outputted image!! :(

The thread over on the AVS forums ( JVC Owners Thread) is inundated with very unhappy Oppo users .....at the moment!

• Like 1

Did you try using the Denon Setup Assistance.  I had this problem when connecting my Mac Mini for HT on 4520.  Using Assign Input, swapping HDMI etc also did not help until I use the basic Setup Assistance and it worked :)

Encountered a harrowing experience while trying to setup the Oppo earlier.  Initially, I had it connected to my Denon X7200WA and after powering up, the Oppo pretty much hung upon starting up.  Powering on and off the Oppo and the Denon did not rectify the problem nor did the changing of HDMI cables or HDMI port connections on the Denon.  Even swapping the same HDMI cable back and forth with the Samsung 4K player (No playback issues with the Sammy) did not help.  Finally decided to connect the Oppo directly to my OLED TV and finally it started to behave properly.  Not sure what is causing the issues but I have initiated the firmware update on the Oppo and the Denon and going to retry the AVR connections tomorrow again.  Not a good outcome while trying to setup a new toy past midnight.  :(

2 hours ago, wooferocau said:

Already have it..:thumb:

i sold my fury a while back, not sure I really want to go back there. but to be honest with my screen size am happy what benefit HDR brings so while stripping HDR happy to explore its not really a massive drive for me in a player. 

i could purchase a pana...but i know it will not be something i will hang onto long term so will just be something else to buy and sell again. at present just hanging onto the sammy is looking pretty good :)

• Like 2

Can be a myriad of issues here. HDMI handshake does produce this "snowy" anomalies. BUT having say that, if you are able to watch at "certain resolution", then it may not really be an handshake issue per se. Connect the HDMI direct to the display instead of the AVR and try to execute the same thing and see if it is the display or with the issue with the AVR passing through or the doing of up-conversion (imperfect resolution or frequency selected) caused by the AVR in the video chain. When it comes to video and HDMI, the only way to investigate is through elimination.

After some 2-3 hours of testing last night, I came to a conclusion and most likely isn't a cable issue.

Unlike Win7 which had Media Player as DLNA/ SMB server or a dedicated NAS, I'm using Server 2008R2 which doesn't have built in DLNA/ SMB server features.

I was using TVersity Media Server previously and it seems to auto create huge (20-30Gb files in ProgramData) metadata files for thumbnail/ icons etc. which I didn't realise earlier.

Not sure whether those 'extra' data are the culprits to the 'snowy' display.

However now I have uninstalled it and change to Serviio Media Server. So far now issues. ;D

For me, it's a simple solution....

Jus get the "Premium HDMI Cables"

The extra bandwidth n certification by that orange sticker on the packaging box, will give me piece of mind..

As it's officially certified to give out all that is required...

;D

For the peace of mind, I've ordered few certified BJC to replace my current AQ cables which will be relegate to be used on Starhub set-top box.

Side note. Is there any shop/ place that sell latest 'Certified Premium HDMI Cables' with sticker in SG. None of the HDMI cable found in Challenger are officially certified.

I'd like to physical see the product and play play with scanning of the QRcode. :P

Had similar problem. Am using Denon X4200 and there was no image on my projector. I switched the HDMI cable around and also into different ports but just couldn't get anything except audio. Before I gave up for the night, I switch the HDMI out on my Epson TW8200W to HDMI 2 and the image is out, crisp and clear. Has yet to confirm if it was really the port and I'll get to the bottom of it when I try again tonight.

+1

yes i have got the Tera Grand HDMI 2.0B Premium Certified cable from Amazon as well. Not too expensive and it gives you the Peace of Mind, rather than having to plug it in and out and second guessing which equipment is having issue. As for Monoprice, somehow the quality of the redmere HDMI 2.0 is not better than an Aiborg HDMI 1.4. So ive left that option out and went for the tera grand instead.... You have already spent $900 for UHD player, $20 for the certified cable for peace of mind makes sense to me...

There is a new certified premium cable from Monoprice.

http://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=102&cp_id=10240&cs_id=1024021&p_id=15427&seq=1&format=2

Unlike the older one, it was previously mentioned that it could sustain up to 18Gbps but now downgrade to 10.2Gbps data throughput.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRPVFk87oaxRvm3mjRyAfUu_rmyVfYGqntu_pYRZf6cZqYmu7XKimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcTFjvdSHR7t6tFIxHcZuWysGwZbD6LCvrJWRDoDRPwvJIBkQdk5

spoke to retailer today. was assured I wouldnt be left in the lurch holding a turkey :D 

the benefit of buying from a good retailer such as tivoli that stand by their customers ! 

also spoke to interdyn again today when they rang me after speaking to the retailer. was told there has been quite a bit going back and forth. things like the hdcp error to non compliant display are on their radar. also things that work on he sammy and not on the oppo due to their menu and such.

so fingers crossed something in the pipeline was assured the base hardware is right just some firmware tweaks changes required.

so not buying a pana or anything ... but might hang onto the trusty sammy a bit longer as well. trusty sammy who would think the words go together even mentioned in the same sentence :D

• Like 1

• Volunteer
31 minutes ago, :) al said:

so fingers crossed something in the pipeline was assured the base hardware is right just some firmware tweaks changes required.

I have no doubt that with their track record, Oppo will sort out the issues.

I found the pq to be better than the Sammy so happy with that.

I had no issues with the one movie I've watched so far, with HDR,  still the odd issue with the home screen to the TV but I'm sure it'll get fixed.  :D

I hope to get some time over the Christmas break to get a few more movies under the Oppo's belt and hopefully all run as well as Pacific Rim did. :D

• Like 1

Yea I saw the certified version of monoprice. I bought the hdmi 2.0 version monoprice redmere that sort of support speeds up to 18gbps. NOT impressed honestly. Inferior compared to some 1.4. Back then I bought some spare banana plugs, this is new and kept in the toolbox sealed. Here is how it looks today at pics below, still in plastic...I don't hold anything against monoprice, but as a consumer I would think twice b4 getting the monoprice ....that is why I opted for Tera grand, the only other certified hdmi2.0b but I have no idea how good this cable is, arriving this week to test it out...it looks quite similar to the one cash bought from Japan...hope the new monoprice certified is an improved version...

i bought 6 more!!

"Premium" HDMI CERTIFIED Cables are the way to go!!!

hehehehe!!!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

if u r in the camp that believe's the premium certified cables are hogwash...

then do enjoy the problems with the uncertified n older spec hdmi cables..

no one can help u out, with any problems..

hehehehe!!!

cheers!!!

14 hours ago, wooferocau said:

I have as of this morning ordered the Panasonic UB900 , they have dropped to around the $650 here in Aus now. When it arrives i  will put it up against the Oppo . Will be interesting to see which player i end up holding onto.

Where did you buy one for $650?!!

spent a bit of time going back to some basic calibrations with the oppo and also the JVC. last time did setup on the JVC was on zero hours. now 365 hours later probably worth revisiting.

found lamp had dropped off a tad as can be expected. also rechecked once brought back up both colour and brightness etc this all for blu-ray/DVD. then went across and re checked the JVCs user setting for output and also re did setup for HDR. Decided to aim for 100 nits this time. Was surprised just how far out this was. I guess with previous setup and the samsung it according to recommendation it used built in settings. Not using those on the oppo means need to make those on the projector. 

then gave UHD a whirl. Adjusting colour for skin tones pulled that back as well. Used life of pi given the very natural scenes in it. Also then checked Lucy and then even Mad Max plus resisted I am legend as well.

Overall I have to say am very pleased overall with UHD blu-ray off the oppo. can achieve natural colours, and very good detail. things like the noise in I am legend are a lot more aparent now, I dont think the oppo is masking detail, in fact its quite abundant. No hint of red push or anything. Its all coming up a treat.

with all that done... now cant wait to watch another full movie ... wondering what to line up :D

Just collected my set today, plug and play, changed some settings on avr and Oppo, no issues, firmware update took few mins and HDR is stunning !! Immediately could tell the difference in audio quality, Atmos rocks! Can't wait to blast on weekends ! Confirmed the cable provided is premium certified! Here is how it looks after verification. Ahhh how I wished they had gravity in 4K Atmos