Oppo UHD 4K Owners & Discussion Thread

I don't think JB will be available right after the launch of 203. The key thing to wait for 203 is 4K BR playback plus its usual support over SACD etc.

You are better off with Media Player if you require cracked cinavia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I contacted Oppo to see if there would be any significant improvement in the GUI as that is their Achilles ankle of the player, unfortunately there is no real meaningful change coming in the new model so chances are I may not buy one. If any of the early adopters can post some screen shots that would be greatly appreciated.  

1 hour ago, Silent Screamer said:

I contacted Oppo to see if there would be any significant improvement in the GUI as that is their Achilles ankle of the player, unfortunately there is no real meaningful change coming in the new model so chances are I may not buy one. If any of the early adopters can post some screen shots that would be greatly appreciated.  

This new model release isn't about new menus gui's or anything. These new model releases are for one reason and one reason only UHD blu-ray :)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, :) al said:

This new model release isn't about new menus gui's or anything. These new model releases are for one reason and one reason only UHD blu-ray :)

au contraire, the worlds most attractive and feature rich Lamborghini is useless without doors. For me who currently has no UHD content, that is secondary to the GUI.

16 minutes ago, Silent Screamer said:

au contraire, the worlds most attractive and feature rich Lamborghini is useless without doors. For me who currently has no UHD content, that is secondary to the GUI.

I think you miss the point. the reason for this release is purely UHD, dont expect anything else.... like gui improvements or anything.

if not wanting UHD or interest in it. dont buy or consider this model. buy the model previous or something else :)

i personally found the gui on cambridge models better than oppo equivalent, though have not seen anything re cambridge doing anything in this space :)

14 hours ago, Hydrology said:

Yeah while its not the prettiest GUi in the world its certainly functional - Whats the issue with it @Silent Screamer ?

In a nutshell the Picture / Music / Video screen. Having to go up and down the menu to switch between media types does my head in. For example let's say I want to listen to the Eagles "Hell Freezes Over" FLAC album. In order to get there I have to...

Turn the player on (ok that's pretty standard) it comes on as "No Disc" and I have to arrow across three times to the right to "Network" (or two times left, generally missing it on the first go, back, forth, back) and press enter. There is no favorites where a path can be shortcut to, and perhaps "Network" could be right next to "No Disc".

Next comes up a list of available devices, unfortunately my NAS box is called WAREHOUSE so I have to arrow down all the way to the bottom of the list. If the player allowed looping over from the top I could arrow up one to get to WAREHOUSE

Next is the Photo / Music / Video screen. Who actually views Photos on there player as a "primary" function for it to be listed number one? So need to arrow down one for "Music" and press enter.

Next I have 4 HDDs in my NAS box so I have to arrow down three times to get to Volume_4 where music is stored and press enter. Scroll down to the "Eagles" folder on the root menu and press enter. Scroll down a few more times to pick the album I want to play and press enter. Choose the song I want and press play.

NOW... Let's say I wanted to do so A-B testing like I did the other day to see if the video version of the same album sounds any better...

So I press stop on the song, press return to get back to the albums, press return again to get to the root menu on Volume_4, press return again to get to HDD list, press return again to get to the Photos / Music / Videos, arrow down one and press enter.

Arrow down three more times back to Volume_4 and press enter (waiting for it to spin up the drive again), scroll down to "Eagles" folder again and press enter, scroll down to the "Hell Freezes Over" video folder and press enter, press enter on Video_TS and press play.

By which time I have completely forgotten what the FLAC sounded like...

If the player got rid of the Photo / Music / Video option, I could have gone up one folder entered the video and played it.

Oppo said the reason they have it the way they currently have it is so people who have multiple file types on the system don't have to see files they don't want, but my argument is that people who are organised and have their media properly structured are being disadvantaged for those that can't get the crap together.

Oppo further argued that even when it is properly organised there are still going to be other files like logs, cue files etc etc. My argument is that most people don't need text files to be displayed period on a player you can use your computer to read them, just have photo,music and video formats show up. Let everyone else trim out the stuff they don't need or arrow past one inconvenient file instead of having to perform a dozen actions to avoid it.

Edited by Silent Screamer
  • Like 1

No 1 reason I long since moved on from using a blu-ray player as a media player.... there are far too many cheaper better options...

at one stage I sold off all my media players too by the way...not saying there is likely a PERFECT solution. but am relatively happy these days but mainly because only use the blu-ray player for disc replay...

ps also feel free to drop oppo your suggestions.... I wrote them an email with a long list following the oppo 95..... they acknolowdged and listened to just about every one of them with subsequent releases...still not complexly though and why moved across to a cambridge as next player instead :)

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, :) al said:

I think you miss the point. the reason for this release is purely UHD, dont expect anything else.... like gui improvements or anything.

if not wanting UHD or interest in it. dont buy or consider this model. buy the model previous or something else :)

i personally found the gui on cambridge models better than oppo equivalent, though have not seen anything re cambridge doing anything in this space :)

From a marketing perspective is it not smart to add new features make improvements to the GUI to help sell the player?

The reason I updated my BDP-83SE to the BDP-105D was primarily to get a better network menu, the player was still working fine. If Oppo made some significant improvements to the GUI on the UDP-20x player I would more than like update just to get a better interface.

I even bought a $300 Med8tr X10003D to plug into the Oppo to get a better network media player but that just adds unnecessary complications and possible degrades the sound. If they refuse to update the GUI to something more friendly they are basically forcing me to consider other manufacturers which is not smart marketing.

22 minutes ago, :) al said:

No 1 reason I long since moved on from using a blu-ray player as a media player.... there are far too many cheaper better options...

at one stage I sold off all my media players too by the way...not saying there is likely a PERFECT solution. but am relatively happy these days but mainly because only use the blu-ray player for disc replay...

ps also feel free to drop oppo your suggestions.... I wrote them an email with a long list following the oppo 95..... they acknolowdged and listened to just about every one of them with subsequent releases...still not complexly though and why moved across to a cambridge as next player instead :)

Watching programs like Beyond 2020 and other future technology programs they are always flogging the idea that we only need one device to control it all. I really think Oppo are doing themselves a disservice by not stepping up to the plate to be that one and only device we need.

For the majority of the semi low - mid - semi hi end guys that love music / movies Oppo has the name, the hardware, and the reputation to go on and be a dominant market leader in that space if they could offer some Kind of Med8tr or XBMC type level interface where people can do everything they need and have a rockin disc player as well.

Bet a lot of other branded hardware would find the shelf if they did. You went Cambridge, I may do something similar, do you really want to be driving people away from your brand or to it?

Quite personally I think if Oppo had half a brain they would create a means to make the software section of the player open source, so enthusiasts could either install programs like XBMC or write their own, where the better adds on help sell the player.

look what ever oppo or you or I think. no ONE thing can be all things to all people. you just end up with a swiss army knife of a thing rather than anything dedicated to a task. plenty will be happy with the swiss army knife others will look else where ?

its why I moved away from my blu-ray player being my do it all media source. its a bit like "smart TVs" when theres nothing bleeding smart about them when a $50 $100 media player will all and more and better than anything can build in any telly...  

while oppo might do some gui changes or whatever, am just letting you know the primary driver for this model release is UHD. if wanting something else I wouldnt bet on it ! :D but shouldnt stop you still letting them know... they do indeed listen :)

Yeah well they do know my position and my reasoning for change but the response I got was of a polite nature this is the way we do it and probably won't change anytime soon. Which is a pity because I am a massive Oppo fan myself, and if $50 media players can have a smart and intuitive interface for $50 I really don't see why a player approaching $2000 for the top of the line model can't.

But I guess we can only wait and see what they do when it is released.

pretty wrong that the Oppo site advertises that it might not even be a December release and stores are still aloud to sell a pre order.. Thats going to get a lot of people hopes up for a nice Christmas present and if it falls through a lot of disappointment :(

Anybody know much about AKM DACs?  And yes I suspect most people buying this would use it primarily as a transport?  Any info on video processor?  Will this do the magic to DVDs and now for UHD TVs BDs that we all know and love Oppo for?

Also asked Interdyn via online chat and got offline email response:

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your interest in the Oppo UDP-203, the 4K Player Flagship from Oppo.

We are very excited about this product, and are awaiting further information in regards to pricing. At this time, we expect the product to be available before Christmas, and will keep you up to date when dates and pricing are confirmed.

If you have any further queries, please reply back to this email and we will get back to you.

Kind regards,

Guillermo Jaravata

Interdyn