Panasonic Dmp-Ub900 Uhd Blu-Ray Player

Found a button on the remote today :unsure:

Phone image, so not good quality.

It looks as though it upscales the video. I get the same video out info on 3 different movies I tried. I'm not sure if this is a good or a bad thing?

4K%20Apr%202017%20-%20001_zps68zpokwe.jp

1 minute ago, Spearmint said:

Found a button on the remote today :unsure:

am sure theres some buttons on it i havent tried yet :D 

2 minutes ago, Spearmint said:

It looks as though it upscales the video. I get the same video out info on 3 different movies I tried. I'm not sure if this is a good or a bad thing?

probably want to check your output settings. what its telling you is the source format above on disc 4k uhd / 24 4:2:0 10bit

and it is being output via hdmi 4:2:2 12bit so being chroma upsampled

this is not a bad thing. and its a necessary thing as the format on disc... I have no idea why but it is not something supported by the hdmi spec for 24p to transport over via hdmi.

http://www.acousticfrontiers.com/uhd-101-v2/

so the player has to upsample. just matter if whether you go to 4:2:2 or 4:4:4

i wouldn't worry too much about it spearmint unless seeing some side effects e.g. banding in which case id drop back to 10bit as pana suggests. 

I checked out the settings, and the info on the settings page says to set it on 12bit unless you get video banding or other issues in which case drop it back to 10bit or off. I've left it at 12bit, as I find playing blu-ray and DVD both upscale nicely to 12bit

5 hours ago, Spearmint said:

I checked out the settings, and the info on the settings page says to set it on 12bit unless you get video banding or other issues in which case drop it back to 10bit or off. I've left it at 12bit, as I find playing blu-ray and DVD both upscale nicely to 12bit

am not seeing banding either so mine is also just left running on 12 bit :) 

as a note, you can also get banding via source e.g. the blu-ray of hacksaw ridge from the us is pretty bad for this by reports, i saw two instances on the local blu-ray

33564630755_a2a6c53d22_c.jpg

32721153874_cd522d3b2b_c.jpg

this is not present on the uhd version and just really sloppy / compromised mastering on behalf of the studio I suspect,

ps how have you found the dvd upscale spearmint. i find annoying the stair step / jaggies on dvd of the pana that see on both my plasma and projector. I sent the picture below to pana and while got a response really nothing to resolve,

I have many concerts still on dvd and also some movies etc that have never made it over to blu-ray let alone uhd, maybe there is a setting that will fix this perhaps but if there is, I havent discovered as yet ! 

33345250424_1a575a20de_b.jpg

this is just about my main bug bear with the pana, (apart from no ways to region free with mod). and oh perhaps not as many apps as get with say the sammy uhd player...

Hmmm doesn't look to flash Al, I'll put on a few concert disc's and check it out.

Stoked, only one of the UHD, included Blu-ray I bought in from the US, Patriots Day is region coded, the others are region free :)

Edited by Spearmint
  • Like 1

On 4/22/2017 at 11:30 AM, :) al said:

am not seeing banding either so mine is also just left running on 12 bit :) 

as a note, you can also get banding via source e.g. the blu-ray of hacksaw ridge from the us is pretty bad for this by reports, i saw two instances on the local blu-ray

this is not present on the uhd version and just really sloppy / compromised mastering on behalf of the studio I suspect,

I went and bought the local blu-ray of Hacksaw Ridge. Great movie and like yourself I didn't see any banding with the player set at the default Automatic and 12bit. Interesting with this blu-ray it doesn't up-sample the bit rate, I'll check a few others including a couple from the US to see if this is the common output for blu-ray's

Hacksaw%20Ridge%20Apr%202017%20-%20001_z

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, we are about to buy tomorrow our Panasonic DMP-UB900 4K player.

Any tips for easy use on settings would be appreciated. Using I think (dont know yet) the HDMI 1 to the New Telle and using the HDMI 2 to the AMP.

All wired up with 2 HDMI's so just waiting for the Player.

14 minutes ago, said:

Plug in and go ...

Have completely wired 3 spaces in the cabinets and each has 2 HDMI Cables leaving the cabinet where one of them goes to the amp and the other goes to the new TV. New Telle will have for the Oppo 103D and the Panasonic UB 900 and the OPPO 203 or an newer model

Edited by Blackman

20 hours ago, Blackman1503561291 said:

Have completely wired 3 spaces in the cabinets and each has 2 HDMI Cables leaving the cabinet where one of them goes to the amp and the other goes to the new TV. New Telle will have for the Oppo 103D and the Panasonic UB 900 and the OPPO 203 or an newer model

The only thing the OPPO does over the pana is play SACD. If you watch DVD's it upscales better. Otherwise the Pana will do everything you need for BR and UHD

33 minutes ago, jutta said:

The only thing the OPPO does over the pana is play SACD. If you watch DVD's it upscales better. Otherwise the Pana will do everything you need for BR and UHD

Unless you also want Dolby Vision at some stage which I expect Blackman would want since LG is supporting Dolby Vision in a big way. 

David Katzmaier ‏@dkatzmaier 1h1 hour ago
Giles Baker, SVP @dolby told me Dolby Vision 4K BD discs expected 1st half 2017, players later in the year.

Wont be long it seems ? though we already have the players ; btw Samsung have their own dynamic metadata preference - very hard to get ce's to drop their own proprietary solution which consequently leads to Als scenario ;) Note hdr10+ is a 10bit technology and dv is 12 bit but will it matter to most ? doubtful perhaps.. 

https://news.samsung.com/us/hdr10-plus-samsung-amazon-video-deliver-next-generation-hdr-video-experience-updated-open-standard-hdr10/

On 05/05/2017 at 0:08 PM, doggiehowser1503564764 said:

Unless you also want Dolby Vision at some stage which I expect Blackman would want since LG is supporting Dolby Vision in a big way. 

Yes I will put up photos on my LG thread on my three spots for three players. the number ONE up the Top is for the OPPO but its missing for now until I read that Oppo is the same of better than the Pana.

2 hours ago, jutta said:

I don't understand why you'd want the pana if you're buying the Oppo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mmm good point jutta ; I would have waited a few weeks and bought  a pana ub300 Blackman [  you don't really want to pay more for multi analog out that you wont ever need ] and wait for the oppo to get dolby vision and discs to turn up - it may be a while .... Then compare ; it could save heaps = do you really need sacd disc playback.. The oppo doesn't have 4k Netflix or possible 4k amazon either.

In the interim you can see if your Yamaha avr can handle a true UHD hdr10 signal from the pana's single hdmi output . If its got a clean passthrough there is no need to run separate video/audio hdmi outs [ and you will have tested it for when you want to sell]  . Thats what an avr is designed for ; easy switching of hdmi and losing the inevitable rats nest of cables...

I'm more than happy with my Pana and glad I got it when the Oppo was a buggy mess. But if you want Dolby Vision there's just no point in buying both. It's silly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

34 minutes ago, jutta said:

I'm more than happy with my Pana and glad I got it when the Oppo was a buggy mess. But if you want Dolby Vision there's just no point in buying both. It's silly

It seems Samsung wants hdr10 plus to become a standard which is logical :)

Made available to third party companies in March of this year, HDR10 Plus is a form of metadata analytics developed by Samsung

so theres maybe an outside chance  pana will license it ....? no extra chipset like dv is a plus

On 2017-5-6 at 3:56 PM, powerav said:

http://www.panasonic.com/au/consumer/home-entertainment/blu-ray-and-dvd-players/dmp-ub400gnk.html

Gee whiz this and the 300 are gonna be cheap when the hit stores, the 400 looks good and not too many differences from the 900.

Interesting, I noticed that the 300 doesn't  have twin HDMI outputs. No good for me with an older AVR that doesnt pass 4k video.