I prefer the PC based sharpening system I have used for many years, cleaner and much more subtle.

+1 ffdshow is a killer software app once you get to know it I haven't seen the Darblee in action so maybe not a valid comment.

At least ffdshow is freeware if using a computer as a video streamer its a must have.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Inspired by Minty and Mercury's comments I finally connected the Darbee Darblett and experimented with 55% - 60% as suggested by AVS members and users here. I was astounded by the difference on the Hi-Def setting. I did not expect it to look that good. Certainly keeping it connected and at that setting. The demo setting is very helpful.

Blade

Inspired by Minty and Mercury's comments I finally connected the Darbee Darblett and experimented with 55% - 60% as suggested by AVS members and users here. I was astounded by the difference on the Hi-Def setting. I did not expect it to look that good. Certainly keeping it connected and at that setting. The demo setting is very helpful.

Blade

LOL! I'm the same ... But still have this feeling we are doing something unnatural to the signal!

I'll chime in. Been using mine on the Kuro and the old Panny AE700 projector and pretty much leave it at 60% HD mode. Not artifacts and it doesn't look artificial at all to my eyes. Checked calibration on my Spears and Munsil BR also and no issues present.

I've had a fiddle changing to game mode and full pop on animated films and that looks CRAZY.

Very happy with it!

I'm yet to purchase my projector, my room is nearly finished :D I have a high quality 12m hdmi cable and i'm worried if i add the darbee in between the projector>hdmi>darbee>hdmi>avr that it will become too long at 13-14m. Minty and the rest of you guys did you have any dramas with hdmi cable length when adding in your darblet? Is 13-14m too long?

Sure. By "fidelity" in this context I mean rendering the displayed image as close as possible to the original source content. With the Darblet, depending on the content, I am seeing artifacts in the video image that are not present in the original. For example, in Skyfall there is a scene where M is wearing a patterned black jacket (from memory, it's about when she's in the room with the coffins lying in state). When the camera pans the jacket shows a pronounced "scintillating" effect where the lighter pattern on the jacket strobes against the dark color of the fabric. I only see this effect when the signal has passed through the Darblet. With only the Lumagen video processor in the signal path I do not see this effect. There is no way the jacket would look like this to the naked eye when the scene was shot. The Lumagen rendering of the scene is good, the Darblet renders artifacts in the video image.

I have seen a similar "scintillating" pattern in a scene with high contrast fine detail during panning when I was testing the Darbee, luckily after some adjustments on the PC and the Darbee I was able to eliminate it. Like you, I'm not going to put up with issues like that.

I'll take a look at Skyfall and see if I can see any problems, but so far so good on the titles I have viewed. I am not using the Darbee alone, all video is preprocessed before the Darbee gets a go at it so that could be the reason I don't see any significant problems with the Darbee at 30% or less.

...I have a high quality 12m hdmi cable and i'm worried if i add the darbee in between the projector>hdmi>darbee>hdmi>avr that it will become too long at 13-14m...

I have seen issues with very short cables (0.6m specifically), but not long cables (15m).

I'm yet to purchase my projector, my room is nearly finished :D I have a high quality 12m hdmi cable and i'm worried if i add the darbee in between the projector>hdmi>darbee>hdmi>avr that it will become too long at 13-14m. Minty and the rest of you guys did you have any dramas with hdmi cable length when adding in your darblet? Is 13-14m too long?

As Blade said, no issues. I've had mine setup since the day I received it from the GB. Have it setup as -

Projector - 1m HDMI - Darblett - 10m HDMI - Lumagen - 1.5m HDMI - Integra

I've had the Darblett reset itself twice, no idea why it does so and quite common amongst AVS users it seems. Easy to go into the menu and fix.

Mine sits up on the curtain pelmet to the rear of the projector and the remotes bounces the signal off the screen no worries, better than the projector in fact. Easy to experiment with different settings.

Yes some nice stuff there, I'd love a Kaleidescape system, someday maybe...

Kaleidescape is the best part of my system by miles...to be able to stream all of your BR/DVD/CD content from a server as a bit-perfect copy of the original disc, virtually instantly, wherever you want it, without the FBI warnings and no top menu to navigate, etc, is simply brilliant. But it is pricey, for an entry level new Kaleidescape system (a 1U server and BR disc vault/player), you're easily looking at $25,000+ here. And that was before the exchange rate took a hammering.

Blade

Good to hear mate. 50-65 on HiDef seems the sweet spot for getting great detail and pop without introducing any obvious video nasties. Great also to hear so many users using the same or similar settings and being so pleased with the results. No surprise really that someone around here would want to argue otherwise, probably because the aspect ratio battle has petered out for the time being and he needs something else to amuse himself with hehe.

Kaleidescape is the best part of my system by miles...to be able to stream all of your BR/DVD/CD content from a server as a bit-perfect copy of the original disc, virtually instantly, wherever you want it, without the FBI warnings and no top menu to navigate, etc, is simply brilliant. But it is pricey, for an entry level new Kaleidescape system (a 1U server and BR disc vault/player), you're easily looking at $25,000+ here. And that was before the exchange rate took a hammering.

Yes the price is the only thing stopping me and I was so dissappointed when I found out how much it costs, it really does look like a brilliant system. I've had Sonos for 6 years now and the thought of physically loading a cd into a player seems prehistoric. Sonos changed our lives with music listening, I've no doubt Kaleidescape would do the same with our movie viewing.

I have had some sync problems with the dune since installing it ... Essentially requires the Integra to be on HDMI (Main) output only for a rock sold connection.

Thanks guys looking forward to ordering my screen and projector :) still cabling the roof and tidying it all up! I'll update my build thread with photos once its finished :)

It is a nice polished system but its really not worth the money..

I have seen and used a Kaleidescape system and while i did like it, i have been doing the same thing at home for years for $2000

Htpc>Bluray burner>Dvdfab>Mediaportal.

I rip my bluray movies 1:1 without all the fbi warnings/trailers ect. I turn my htpc on with my ipad, mediaportal opens automatically ( instantly mind you, i use a SSD ) then im browsing my entire movie collection or tv series and personally the way i have set it up it looks and feels better than Kaleidescape :)

Each to there own!

Thanks guys looking forward to ordering my screen and projector :) still cabling the roof and tidying it all up! I'll update my build thread with photos once its finished :)

I have seen and used a Kaleidescape system and while i did like it, i have been doing the same thing at home for years for $2000

I rip my bluray movies 1:1 without all the fbi warnings/trailers ect. I turn my htpc on with my ipad, mediaportal opens automatically ( instantly mind you, i use a SSD ) then im browsing my entire movie collection or tv series and personally the way i have set it up it looks and feels better than Kaleidescape :)

Each to there own!

Actually some of those Mediaportal Skins look extremely good mate. PM me with your HTPC setup etc - I need a new project :)

Cheers

Blade

I'm sorry but there is no way you can have Kaleidescape capability in any home built system, how do you overcome the copyright legalities of BluRay?

Edited by beejay76

Well if the system is based arround blu-ray Iso's then it's no different bj than the original disc. And yep bit perfect. That I know off. That's the whole idea of an iso.

But yeah am sure kaleidoscope brings some other gains.

I'm sorry but there is no way you can have Kaleidescape capability in any home built system, how do you overcome the copyright legalities of BluRay?

Hi BJ,

Programs such as DVDFab (There are many others that perform similar tasks) remove Disc Protection during the "ripping or extraction" phase:

DVDFab

Extract:

"DVDFab Blu-ray Copy for Mac is the first full-featured and the most powerful Blu-ray copy, Blu-ray burner, cloner and Decrypter software on Mac

This Blu-ray copy software for Mac can remove all known copy protections including the newest MKB v26 and bus encryption, BD-Live, and UOPs, thus can copy any Blu-ray onto your Mac, or any blank Blu-ray disc with very fast speed. Don't be surprised that Blu-ray Copy for Mac even can burn Blu-ray to any blank DVD/AVCHD disc. It will be constantly updated to remove newest protections and work with all Blu-ray burners and Blu-ray discs"

Input Blu-ray-Video disc, Blu-ray folder, ISO image file Output Blu-ray-Video disc, DVD-Video disc, AVCHD disc, Blu-ray folder, ISO image file

As Al suggested the most common format to "rip" to is ISO which can be played by the majority of HTPC's and/or Media Players such as Dune or Popcorn Hour. Whilst I respect Kaleidescape as a product the above process in conjunction with the aforementioned Media Players (or HTPC) can achieve the same thing but for a fraction of the outlay.

Blade

Edited by BladeRnR

Tons of ways mate. Use I use DVD fab......Kadelscape is good but you can acheive the same thing for a LOT less...

I haven't checked in a while, but I think the copyright act allows for format shifting, so as long as you own the disc, you are fine.

Each to there own!

Now this i want, 2 grand vs. 25 grand and basically the same, where do i sign-up! :lol::huh: :huh: :lol:

Seriously, htpc stuff, ripping, burning, streaming, media players, popcorn hour, it all does my head in. I've searched numerous forums and websites and i end up more confused than ever, it really does seem to be a secret society with access denied to basic guys like myself :hmm: (read into that what you like!) :lol:

Can someone point me in the right direction please, basically i just want all my Blu-Rays stored on a computer and be able to stream them to my theatre room with 1080p picture and HD audio.

Sorry for the complete off topic post.

Cheers.

Mediaportal is the front end Minty. Basically a program that runs as soon as you turn your htpc on. It displays all your cover arts and makes it look like a massive ipad on your tv. Essentially its a computer with lots of storage that plays back all your media.

It sounds like you watch blurays and you have the discs. And you would like to watch them without using the discs..

Popcorn hour is a media player it access's your harddrive and plays your movies.. So you can have a htpc in your lounge room and you can have a popcorn hour in your bedroom that can access all your media on your htpc. This is the way i choose to do it.. I don't need a Htpc in every room i only need 1 and i use media players in other rooms that are all networked to the HTPC.

The main benefit of Htpc is that it is a windows based computer as soon as new formats are available you download an update. I have been stung in the past with mediaplayers once a new format comes out or a new codec its no longer compatible. I have an old Tvix and old Mvix box sitting collecting dust which at the time cost me $350-$400 each.

If you know your way around a windows pc, and i mean turn it on and double click on icons you are good to go mate ;)

I tend not to plug my website but check it out http://www.htpconline.com.au/What/index.html and watch the video. If you like what you see i can build one for you and ship it down to melb :)

Hey Minty,

You have quite a few people here who can lend a hand if you get into trouble. Computers are my Bread n Butter mate (And there's no end of users who already play their files off a server/htpc/media player - Woodlake did it with his dedicated theatre) so if you're interested jump right in. The HTPC offered by <HTPC> :) - is good value and like any good HTPC unit it looks like a a piece of Hi-Fi equipment. You could go massive local storage in the HTPC itself (Multiple local HDD's) but that will just generate a lot of heat or you can buy a separate NAS (Basically just a big HDD farm) where you can rip and store all your movies to. There's a few good front ends around (PLEX, XBMC & Mediaportal). Once it's all setup, the HTPC will function just like a regular BD player but with no FBI warnings etc to bother you (And no waiting to load the disc either...because there isn't one!) and with all your movies at your fingertips (No getting up to change discs). The BD rips are all 1:1 exact bit for bit copies with all HD sound intact so they are inditinguishable from the physical disc.

Having said all that I have yet to jump in myself just because I'm a bit of a traditionalist and old foggy when it comes to playing movies. One day I'll make the move to just pure files and a HTPC. But like any old *astard I hate change :P

DVDFab is on special at the moment as well. I use both Aiseesoft and DVDFab for ripping / converting to watch on iPad.

Cheers

Blade

Edited by BladeRnR

Mediaportal is the front end Minty. Basically a program that runs as soon as you turn your htpc on. It displays all your cover arts and makes it look like a massive ipad on your tv. Essentially its a computer with lots of storage that plays back all your media.

It sounds like you watch blurays and you have the discs. And you would like to watch them without using the discs..

Popcorn hour is a media player it access's your harddrive and plays your movies.. So you can have a htpc in your lounge room and you can have a popcorn hour in your bedroom that can access all your media on your htpc. This is the way i choose to do it.. I don't need a Htpc in every room i only need 1 and i use media players in other rooms that are all networked to the HTPC.

The main benefit of Htpc is that it is a windows based computer as soon as new formats are available you download an update. I have been stung in the past with mediaplayers once a new format comes out or a new codec its no longer compatible. I have an old Tvix and old Mvix box sitting collecting dust which at the time cost me $350-$400 each.

If you know your way around a windows pc, and i mean turn it on and double click on icons you are good to go mate ;)

I tend not to plug my website but check it out http://www.htpconlin...What/index.html and watch the video. If you like what you see i can build one for you and ship it down to melb :)

Hey Minty,

You have quite a few people here who can lend a hand if you get into trouble. Computers are my Bread n Butter mate (And there's no end of users who already play their files off a server/htpc/media player - Woodlake did it with his dedicated theatre) so if you're interested jump right in. The HTPC offered by <HTPC> :) - is good value and like any good HTPC unit it looks like a a piece of Hi-Fi equipment. You could go massive local storage in the HTPC itself (Multiple local HDD's) but that will just generate a lot of heat or you can buy a separate NAS (Basically just a big HDD farm) where you can rip and store all your movies to. There's a few good front ends around (PLEX, XBMC & Mediaportal). Once it's all setup, the HTPC will function just like a regular BD player but with no FBI warnings etc to bother you (And no waiting to load the disc either...because there isn't one!) and with all your movies at your fingertips (No getting up to change discs). The BD rips are all 1:1 exact bit for bit copies with all HD sound intact so they are inditinguishable from the physical disc.

Having said all that I have yet to jump in myself just because I'm a bit of a traditionalist and old foggy when it comes to playing movies. One day I'll make the move to just pure files and a HTPC. But like any old *astard I hate change :P

DVDFab is on special at the moment as well. I use both Aiseesoft and DVDFab for ripping / converting to watch on iPad.

Cheers

Blade

Thanks Htpc-online and Blade, some great info there and i will be pursuing this further. I've probably learnt more in the last 30 mins than i have in the last 3 years. I'll take this to PM seeing we are entirely OT, might even start a new thread on the topic if a search doesn't bring up an appropriate thread on it. I do re-call reading something from i think Htpc-online last year about htpc's but i'll have to check.

Thanks again :twitch:

If I can work out dvdfab minty you can ; its all logical and the easiest is creating an iso either full disc or main movie ; here's the new 9 user manual tutorial in here -

http://www.dvdfab.com/tutorial

Once you have your iso you can compress to a smaller size with bd ripper and lose extra subtitles / lossy soundtracks if you want . I got lucky recently as I had bd ripper and they gave me 3d ripper for free but if you can wait for certain titles hd decrypter is free and gives you a main movie iso :)

excuse the o/t.

Edited by cwt