Magic Pvr Arrived Today

If this is caused by the auto repeat remote function added since 2013-7-16 (firmware 6.05 beta), you should see other buttons behaving similarly erratic, e.g. pressing up/down once causes the corresponding action to be done twice. If you do see this, then you can use an old firmware that does not have this feature (6.04 or before). If you don't see this, there may be another problem, and please try a factory reset.

In addition to the physical remote controls, you may also try the free Android / iOS Magic TV Remote app, if the Magic TV is connected to a WiFi router.

I only seemed to have a problem turning the Magic on with the remote, once turned on(usually with the power switch on the back of the Magic) I was actual enjoying the extra features of the latest firmware, EPG updating in standby, scrolling through lists by holding down the up down arrows etc.

I only seemed to have a problem turning the Magic on with the remote, once turned on(usually with the power switch on the back of the Magic) I was actual enjoying the extra features of the latest firmware, EPG updating in standby, scrolling through lists by holding down the up down arrows etc.

I seem to of fixed my problem with the 6.06au firmware, i downloaded a fresh copy of the 6.06au firmware and extracted to a different thumb drive, i did a factory reset on the magic tv and then flashed the 6.06au firmware, and then did another factory reset, after doing all of that i am not having any issues with my Magic TV, it's now working perfectly.

I still think your HDD may be dying. It's best to backup unwatched programmes to 3.5" USB HDD first, if you can't watch them all ASAP.

The "slowdowns" returned, so I swapped the HDD with a spare and after a couple of weeks the problem hadn't recurred, so I purchased and installed a new HDD, and now a few weeks later the problem is back... grrr..

Any suggestions? Re-flash the firmware maybe?

The "slowdowns" returned, so I swapped the HDD with a spare and after a couple of weeks the problem hadn't recurred, so I purchased and installed a new HDD, and now a few weeks later the problem is back... grrr..

Any suggestions? Re-flash the firmware maybe?

1. If possible, perform a low-level scan of the "new HDD" for bad sectors using a PC.

2. Factory reset, then turn off Instant Rewind as I said before.

3. Swap back to the "spare HDD" and see if it makes any difference.

4. Make sure you don't have too many recorded programmes - I think several hundred should be fine. If you use USB HDD(s) with the Magic TV, try removing them (when powered down).

5. Replace the power supply (DC 12V 4A 5.5mm x 2.1mm).

6. Replace the SATA cable.

Edited by wklie

• 1 month later...

Hi all

FYI

I wanted to get some recordings made on my Windows Media Centre PC onto my Magic 4000.

I was successfully able to do this using MC-TVConverter http://mctvconverter.vivolum.net/ to convert the WTV file to TS. I then used tsMuxeR http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=168539 to convert it from TS to M2TS.

The recordings seem to play back perfectly on the Magic (via the HD Camcorder menu with external USB drive plugged in).

There might be a better way to do this (using commerical software?) but at least this method worked well and is free.

Does anyone know if it's possible to copy these files into the standard playback list rather than having to go into the HD Camcorder menu? I can copy them onto the internal hard disk but they still appear under the HD Camcorder option.

Thanks!

Edited by Austin

• 4 weeks later...

Should have updated my controller problems. Reverted to previous firmware version and all was well, then yesterday it prompted me that a later version was available , so did that on air and its all good so far.

At least I know if it goes crook again I can always go back to previous version.

Would still love to know why they aren't importing them anymore as they are awesome machines. How come the kiwis can get them but we can't?

Edited by gawaterman

Would still love to know why they aren't importing them anymore as they are awesome machines. How come the kiwis can get them but we can't?

This depends on the distributor. For a long time it was not sold at a normal price, only because a certain financially significant event occurred that affected the original distributor.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Posting really just to bring the "Magic PVR" forum back to the top of the page / list.

I check this log several times per week hoping there will be a new feature / news / general discussion about our beloved Magic box.

One question though, I see a fair bit of hype for "Freeview Plus". I personally dont have my box configured for Freeview, prefer the unbridled 4000 firmware, however my Mum prefers it as she likes the EPG interface, series recording etc.

So, is Freeview Plus in anyway an upgrade path / option for the Freeview standard available on the 3700 firware ?

As it will probably be WKLIE who will answer, thanks for your ongoing and tireless support of the Magic Community.

Cheers

So, is Freeview Plus in anyway an upgrade path / option for the Freeview standard available on the 3700 firware ?

No, at this point Magic TV will not be adopting Freeview Plus (HbbTV). That would be a huge investment. Even our MHEG engine provider abandoned its HbbTV effort some time ago, even though HbbTV may be gaining momentum. In addition, I doubt it would run well on the 500MHz CPU in the Magic TV.

I've been monitoring the forums and web for Freeview Plus discussions, but I don't see that many, even though 3 brands of TV can now access Freeview Plus (if I understand correctly). I'd like to know whether Freeview Plus here would go down the same fate as Freeview EPG, or has a better future.

Edited by wklie

I suspect that Freeview Plus will be as popular as the old freeview followed by very few of the watching public. I could only find LG and Sony TVs able to access Freeview Plus and no PVRs to date.

Humax 4tune PVR does Freeview Plus, also Beyonwiz T3 I think.

• 1 month later...

For the past few weeks in the evenings, I haven't been able to watch programs much at all via my Magic. The picture almost continually breaks up on all channels, screen goes black, picture freezes, screeching sounds, etc. On screen I then almost constantly get the error message "No Signal - please check aerial/antenna cable". There have been quite few storms recently in the area - rain, thunder, etc - and some very hot days. I have plugged the same antenna cable directly into my TV, and reception is perfect. I haven't gone back yet over the previous 1800+ posts to see if anyone might have had similar problems in the past.The HDD is only about 5% full and the remote wotks perfectly. The front panel problem reported previously has fixed itself.

I'm in a complex of 18 units served by a large tall tower antenna. A neighbour has just told me that it was decommissioned a few weeks ago, and replaced by a tiny basic antenna on one of the nearby units. I thought this might be the cause of the problem, but as I mentioned above, I get perfect reception on all channels when the antenna cable is plugged directly into the TV.

I'm think my Magic could be dying:(

I have plugged the same antenna cable directly into my TV, and reception is perfect.

How about the loop out from Magic TV? If the antenna cable is plugged into the Magic TV, then looped out to TV, does TV still have perfect reception?

I'll google a bit to see if there are any posts about the Magic power supply failing. As for the loop, my Magic Owners Guide page 20 states the Antenna Loopthrough is only used if one wants to retain analogue TV reception. The area I live in has been totally digital for several years.

The loop out passes through digital signals as well, not just analogue. Please check whether the loop out works.

From time to time power supplies do fail. Specs: DC 12V 4A plug size 5.5mm x 2.1mm

Edited by wklie

I meant checking whether the TV can still receive all the channels properly from the loop out of Magic TV. The TV remote should be used, not the Magic TV remote. The TV should not need re-tuning (if it has already been tuned when the antenna is directly plugged into it.)

If there are more than one kind of failure symptom, consider replacing the power supply. If there is only reception problem, and If the loop out does not work but a direct connection to TV works, then an IC known as ASL033 may be faulty.

If there is a Magic TV remote problem, try the iOS or Android free remote app.

Edited by wklie

Thought I'd try a few more ideas before reporting back.

First I should point out I bought the Magic in April 2012 and I've never ever used the loop before. It doesn't work using the Magic Remote as I then can't change channels.

Using the TV remote with Loop. I get black screen with "No Service".

I noticed that my Freeview timer recordings were all there - nightly news - so checked them. All OK.

Under the assumption the Magic was recording programmes OK, I decided the HDMI cable connecting the Magic & my TV could be at fault. I switched it with the Blu Ray cable. Much better - no "anntenna" on screen message..

So, tonight, it all ***seems*** to be working OK again. The remote is VERY slow to change channels. Battery checker indicates they're OK, but have inserted new ones tonight. Remote still very slow after fresh batteries.

Freeview EPG - the large on-screen one - doesn't work on Prime7, and takes multiple presses to appear on other channels, if at all.

So, at the moment, not sure if my Magic is suffering from old age, or needs a new power supply (where do I get one?), or the IC ASL033 is faulty (not sure what that means or what to do).

I'll see how it all goes over the next few days, and whether the problems re-occur.

Much appreciate the advice so far:)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks wklie for the suggestions.

Before I go any further, will a Factory Reset erase all my HD recordings?

At the moment, c.7.55 pm Saturday night, the Magic is totally non-functional with or without remote. No matter what I try - on/off, rescan, etc. Not recording at all. Front panel not lit up at all. On screen alerts so far " no time", "check antenna/aerial" as before, "no channel available" :(