Ces 2011 - Star Wars Blu-ray Announcement

Not sure why, these would have to be the longest loaders yet.

Well I must be lucky, haven't timed it but must be about 30sec load time on the OPPO 83 B) After reading all the horror stories I was expecting a long wait......was pleasantly surprised.

It's actually one of the fastest FOX title I've played in a long time, granted I've only loaded ep I, IV and a couple of the extra discs so far.

Have to say I was rather happy with the sound on ep I, I don't recall it sounding that good before.......but it has been a few years since I last watched it.......it's like Star Wars on steroids ;)

And what, no THX :huh:

Cheers

Edited by MACCA350

I have only watched Ep I so far and the picture quality doesn't seem a lot better than an upscaled DVD

I was playing it at about -16db and during the Pod race my yamaha amp just switched it self off

and had a message check speaker wires.

It happened again a minute or so later and I reloaded the Blu ray,

after that I turned the sound down a little and the rest of the movie played ok

I have only watched Ep I so far and the picture quality doesn't seem a lot better than an upscaled DVD

I was playing it at about -16db and during the Pod race my yamaha amp just switched it self off

It was probably just your neighbours with a long range yamaha remote. :lol:

Hmmmm, not good as that sounds like clipping

So has everyone received their sets from Amazon UK? Because mine still hasn't arrived yet friends who ordered (and shipped at the same time) already have their copies, some since Monday.

Just my luck that this will be the first title from Amazon (either US or UK) to go walkabout :(

Got mine on Monday, which was shipped on the saturday (9 days earlier). Hopefully yours turns up. I get all my stuff sent to work - a lot easier than worrying about posties leaving things on the doorstep

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that my copy also shipped on the Saturday as well. It was a few hours later than people I know (I ordered later) so maybe mine went slow post? It does say Royal Mail though

Edited by kurgan

So has everyone received their sets from Amazon UK? Because mine still hasn't arrived yet friends who ordered (and shipped at the same time) already have their copies, some since Monday.

Just my luck that this will be the first title from Amazon (either US or UK) to go walkabout :(

You're not alone! Mine is yet to show up too. I'm hoping it's there when I get home today. Being sent via Royal Mail so I was hoping for a quicker delivery.

You're not alone! Mine is yet to show up too. I'm hoping it's there when I get home today. Being sent via Royal Mail so I was hoping for a quicker delivery.

It seems most people got theirs on Monday. Mine arrived on Tuesday.

I noticed on eBay yesterday, there's a guy selling 10 of them with a buy it now price of about $97. They're obviously UK versions from the stickers on the front. What a ripoff.

Clipping is the speakers requiring more power than the amp can provide and I believe it is worse for the speakers than the amp.

Does that mean my amp is not up to the job or a problem with the Blu ray source ?

So turning the volume down meant less power required

kopthat

do you run a powered sub-woofer?

If not, and clipping keeps occurring, then that might be a lowish cost solution. The sub will manage the low frequency and the power requirements, taking a bit of pressure of the amp and your front speakers.

benje

kopthat

do you run a powered sub-woofer?

If not, and clipping keeps occurring, then that might be a lowish cost solution. The sub will manage the low frequency and the power requirements, taking a bit of pressure of the amp and your front speakers.

benje

I originally had Klipsh Quintet III and overall they didn't sound too good and someone suggested

I get a couple Jamo 605 fronts and that did the trick, but they also have small subs in them,

so now I have a 7:1 setup.

I know there are some dials on the Klipsh sub that sets how of the LFE goes to it and the rest of the speakers

Edited by kopthat

Clipping is the speakers requiring more power than the amp can provide and I believe it is worse for the speakers than the amp.

Clipping is actually chopping the peaks off the sign wave making it effectively DC in that part of the AC sign wave. The speaker attempts to reproduce it and as a result you hear distortion. The worst case is that the DC fries the voice coil of the driver.

Adding an Active Sub + BM will help here because you effectively take the large excursion sign waves away from the amps/speakers that may not be capable of such reproduction at high levels. This is in part why THX made their speakers SAT/SUBs. It allows easier speaker placement as well as the benefits of bi-amping such as lower distortion, higher dynamic range and wider frequency response.

Clipping is actually chopping the peaks off the sign wave making it effectively DC in that part of the AC sign wave. The speaker attempts to reproduce it and as a result you hear distortion. The worst case is that the DC fries the voice coil of the driver.

Adding an Active Sub + BM will help here because you effectively take the large excursion sign waves away from the amps/speakers that may not be capable of such reproduction at high levels. This is in part why THX made their speakers SAT/SUBs. It allows easier speaker placement as well as the benefits of bi-amping such as lower distortion, higher dynamic range and wider frequency response.

Yes as per - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clipping_%28audio%29

Agree one can lower power requirements by having an active sub and only sending higher frequences, say over 80Hz as per THX to the speakers and anything below to the sub.

That or get a beefier AVR with more power. Active sub is probably a better solution.

I originally had Klipsh Quintet III and overall they didn't sound too good and someone suggested

I get a couple Jamo 605 fronts and that did the trick, but they also have small subs in them,

so now I have a 7:1 setup.

I know there are some dials on the Klipsh sub that sets how of the LFE goes to it and the rest of the speakers

Hey Kopthat,

Klipsh Quintet III run best with the sub set @ 120hz. Meanwhile ensure that your amp setting for your speakers are set to small.

Active sub is probably a better solution.

It is the ONLY solution IMO.

When you set up your system to large speakers, no Sub, the LFE track is not actually decoded. To compensate for this, the consumer mix has LFE encoded in both the front left and right channels at -10dB so you still hear the LFE channel.

When you set up your system to large speakers plus SW, the LFE track is decoded. The bass needs to be attenuated by 6dB and because the speaker all face different directions, some times you can get acoustic phase issues.

When you set up your system to small speakers with SW, you get all the bass plus the LFE directed to the SW. There are no phase issues because all the bass signals are in-phase and being reproduced by the one speaker. The ONLY thing that can go wrong is that some SWs just can't handle the huge demands of LFE+summed bass and they blow up.

Got mine from Amazon UK yesterday ordered on the 12th loaded ROTJ using OPPO 95 with July firmware got to menu in about 1 minute did not have any problems with slow loading.Will start watching them tonight to see if any probs arise