Western Digital Wdtv Live Hd Media Player (wdtv2)

Has anyone seen any of these in Australia yet?

They are out in the US. They have a few extra features than the first version such as an ethernet connection and component out.

RPM Computing has them listed but I have never dealt with them.

WDTV Live at RPM Computing

Here are some pics from AVS with comparisons to the original version.

back panel comparison

You Tube showing different menu

The originals are currently at Office Works and they said they should have the new version in stock in a few weeks dunno about JBHiFi who also has the originals in stock.

Edit Australian Box Pic WD TV Live

Australian part number WDBAAP0000NBK-AESN - google finds a few local stores with them

Edited by theslydog

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are out in the US. They have a few extra features than the first version such as an ethernet connection and component out.

I have been looking at these too. I want to know how the ethernet connection works. What I can do with it. Has anyone found a User Guide for these?

Regarding RPM Computing, they say lots of nice words in their Terms & Conditions but I cant find a physical address for them anywhere. That's one of my tests for dealing online. If I cant find a real phone number (not 1800, 1300 or 13) and a physical address then I dont deal until I get a positive feedback from others. I cant find them in the White or Yellow Pages. Their card surcharge is high at 2.4% and they process cards through PayPal which usually means another fee. The delivery charge is OK at about $18 (for me) and it's insured.

edit: I just noticed that Centre Com has dropped the price by about $50. It is now about $200. I would pay that bit extra because I have OK experience with them.

edit: I have just found this link to Whirlpool Forums which then gives you a link to another forum and eventually the User Guide.

Edited by BobD

I have been looking at these too. I want to know how the ethernet connection works. What I can do with it. Has anyone found a User Guide for these?

Regarding RPM Computing, they say lots of nice words in their Terms & Conditions but I cant find a physical address for them anywhere. That's one of my tests for dealing online. If I cant find a real phone number (not 1800, 1300 or 13) and a physical address then I dont deal until I get a positive feedback from others. I cant find them in the White or Yellow Pages. Their card surcharge is high at 2.4% and they process cards through PayPal which usually means another fee. The delivery charge is OK at about $18 (for me) and it's insured.

edit: I just noticed that Centre Com has dropped the price by about $50. It is now about $200. I would pay that bit extra because I have OK experience with them.

edit: I have just found this link to Whirlpool Forums which then gives you a link to another forum and eventually the User Guide.

Im a bit the same no physical address no phone - I will not be dealing with them.

Thanks for the link.

It is worth having a read of the avsforums thread on the WDTV2

BTW i-tech has them listed with the correct product code but old version product picture for $181 - might give them a ring to see it is correct or an error. i-tech

BTW i-tech has them listed with the correct product code but old version product picture for $181 - might give them a ring to see it is correct or an error. i-tech

I was just having a look at i-Tech. I have never dealt with them but they push all the right buttons. One thing I like is they keep responsibility for the goods while in transit. Most others disclaim all responsibility once they hand off to the courier. The price is right at $199 delivered ($14 for me) with CC surcharge included.

Re the old picture. The product description is sparse and underneath the have a statement Product image and description may vary due to insufficient information from vendor. Please base you purchase decision on the product title and vendor code.. In this case there is certainly not much can be found from Western Digital.

I was just having a look at i-Tech. I have never dealt with them but they push all the right buttons. One thing I like is they keep responsibility for the goods while in transit. Most others disclaim all responsibility once they hand off to the courier. The price is right at $199 delivered ($14 for me) with CC surcharge included.

Re the old picture. The product description is sparse and underneath the have a statement Product image and description may vary due to insufficient information from vendor. Please base you purchase decision on the product title and vendor code.. In this case there is certainly not much can be found from Western Digital.

I sent them an email as couldnt get through on the phone always said all sales lines are busy ring back later. If they are slow to reply may go the Centre Com option.

Edit

Actually Skycomp have them for $182. I have ordered and picked up from them quite a bit and found them to be very reliable. so will go this route.

Edited by theslydog

I sent them an email as couldnt get through on the phone always said all sales lines are busy ring back later. If they are slow to reply may go the Centre Com option.

Edit

Actually Skycomp have them for $182. I have ordered and picked up from them quite a bit and found them to be very reliable. so will go this route.

Yeah, I had second thoughts about i-Tech as they have a bad rep in Whirlpool. I also bought from Skycomp and it was dispatched today. I guess I will get it Monday or Tuesday. I am in country VIC about 100 km west of Albury.

Yeah, I had second thoughts about i-Tech as they have a bad rep in Whirlpool. I also bought from Skycomp and it was dispatched today. I guess I will get it Monday or Tuesday. I am in country VIC about 100 km west of Albury.

LOL ordered one from Skycomp today as well. Got them to update the picture on their page to the correct one while I was at it - has the correct one now of the box.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes these are in current Dick Smith catalogue for $199

http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefro...uct/View/XH1208

RPM Computing has them listed but I have never dealt with them.

WDTV Live at RPM Computing

Here are some pics from AVS with comparisons to the original version.

back panel comparison

You Tube showing different menu

The originals are currently at Office Works and they said they should have the new version in stock in a few weeks dunno about JBHiFi who also has the originals in stock.

Edit Australian Box Pic WD TV Live

Australian part number WDBAAP0000NBK-AESN - google finds a few local stores with them

Anyone here got a WDTV live and want to pipe in on wether they are any good or not?

$199 @ DSE seems pretty good and I've suggested to a friend that he consider it, so like to know if there are any major drawbacks to the unit.

I had my wife grab one of these today at JB. She was picking up an Ipod Nano and dock, so the guy did the WD TV Live for $160. :D

I'm thinking of going back and getting another one, as this one is supposed to be for the kids loungeroom (I'm going to rip all their DVD's to ISO and attach a external drive to it).

Pedro.

Anyone here got a WDTV live and want to pipe in on wether they are any good or not?

$199 @ DSE seems pretty good and I've suggested to a friend that he consider it, so like to know if there are any major drawbacks to the unit.

I purchased one last Friday from DSE.

It doesn't play as many files as my BeyonWiz does and those that it will play usually drop the network after about 5 mins. Seemly I'm not alone with this problem. No sign of a firmware update, or even acknowledgment of the problem from WD, so...

It's going back today.

Seemly I'm not alone with this problem. No sign of a firmware update, or even acknowledgment of the problem from WD, so...

There is a firmware update out at Version 1-03-01 . The size is nearly 13MB zipped and unzipped . I have had it since 23 October. I have it on my PC disk at the moment waiting until I get the chance to install it. I am too busy with WIN 7 right now. I dont have any probs which is why I am slow to install the new firmware.

Edited by BobD

Have had a limited play with this device using the std 1.03.01 firmware (not B-rad’s yet).

I have an old Pentium D dual core 3.6GHz with XP as a file server and it finds the shares fine, it also finds PS3 media server, Tversity and another NAS on my GB lan.

So far it has played all files in Tversity fine (mostly 720p avi and mkv) but not PS3 media server or the NAS, which only play some files.

It plays all types of 720p files and BD 1080p .ts files fine from a share folder but not iso’s which stutter after a few minutes.

Cant remember if I tried 1080p mkv files yet or not from a file share folder.

So far it seems to pass through DD HD and DTS but not DTS MA.

Have had a limited play with this device using the std 1.03.01 firmware (not B-rad’s yet).

I have an old Pentium D dual core 3.6GHz with XP as a file server and it finds the shares fine, it also finds PS3 media server, Tversity and another NAS on my GB lan.

So far it has played all files in Tversity fine (mostly 720p avi and mkv) but not PS3 media server or the NAS, which only play some files.

It plays all types of 720p files and BD 1080p .ts files fine from a share folder but not iso’s which stutter after a few minutes.

Cant remember if I tried 1080p mkv files yet or not from a file share folder.

So far it seems to pass through DD HD and DTS but not DTS MA.

I've had mine for about a week. Media format and audio are great just like the USB-only version. I've had no trouble accessing shares on my home network, but DLNA via media server is another matter. I have a vista machine set up to share, an XP also set up to share and a ReadyNas Duo with DLNA streaming enabled. Video and audio works fine from all media servers, but I cannot get photos to display from the ReadyNas Duo (latest firmware) - the WDTV-Live reports an absurd pixel width/height and fails to render. No such problems with the exact same images from the PC-based media servers.

I suspect the problem is with the ReadyNas Duo, but haven't had the time to work it through.

Other features of the WDTV-Live:

* YouTube videos - nice idea, but it's a pain to search for videos by keyword

* Flickr - again not fun to search

* Pandora - does not work outside US

* More photo transitions - YAY

* Audio sync correction - was this also on the previous model?