"bestest" Universal Remote

OK GUYS SUCCESS!! The reason for the BLANKS SCREEN (Custom Activity) is because I didnt define any Custom Buttons...so thanks Kazz...for pointing me in the right direction....

Just had a thought....I was wondering if it was worthwhile inserting into my Custom Buttons, the most used buttons on ALL of the equipment that is being used for the activity....over kill or brilliant? ;) (I think overkill!!)

Nice to hear the success... (And there are lots of people here who know the Harmony, quirks and all). Suggest putting in the commonly used commands in Custom Buttons, rather than ALL. It can be a pain when you have to start deleting/moving lots of custom buttons.

One of the things I like about the Web Software is the Customise Buttons in each activity you get a list of exactly what is assigned to every button on the remote.

The desktop does give a list of all custom buttons or is there something different in the web software ?

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The desktop does give a list of all custom buttons or is there something different in the web software ?

Oh..didnt know there were two versions....I am using the Software for Mac ...which of course communicates with the Logitech Servers...wherever they may be....they might have a web interface accessable via a browser..but I am happy where I am.... :)

I got the JVC X35, it's a brilliant beast, I'm really loving it.

Nice...just googled it...looks brilliant...though one question...apparently there is no "colour management"...does this mean that out of the box settings are almost "near calibrated" settings? :)

ok...Progress Update...(sounds like Facebook, doesnt it?)

- I decided to scrap all the work I had done and begin again...because I found that whilst I wasnt doing things wrong, I did have a better way to create an Activity...and this would allow me to have my favourite channels on my Touchscreen with Icons...

- Have completed half the work and the results are amazing...

I think, and I may be quick to judge...(and I did judge quickly earlier too....the Harmony Remote WINS hands down!!

Here are some of the reasons...

a) I think the Harmony Database is so much superior to the URCs!! It has so much more equipment..I just downloaded the latest information for the URC....and yet, the Harmony could easily configure my DigitalView PVR, Foxtel and Apple TV...the URC struggled

B) The resultant Activity...admittedly you have to get used to it...coming from a different technology...is so much more user friendly...I know that this is much bandied about term...but the result is better than the OEM Remotes...

c) I really like the way the Harmony "lights up" when I pick it up in a Dark room whilst watching the PJ!! Cool feature...reallly!!

Here are some things that the URC scores...

1. It really gives you a level of control that the Harmony doesn't..but for my personal need...it really isnt such a show stopper...

2. The form factor..the way the URC is built...is very "hand friendly"...not to say that the Harmony isn't...but the URC is made up of a rubber type of material...which doesnt leave fingerprints on it...so it looks clean all the time...(anybody that knows me knows I am a fanatic for Cleanliness...infact it might be an OCD)

3. I have dropped the URC on the ground several times...with no apparent damage...I just feel a trifle apprehensive of the Harmony ever falling off the couch...

So, my final assessment...

Harmony 2 - URC 1

Harmony wins!! (Applause !!)

:) thanks guys for all the help and pointers...obviously there are more people out there happy with their Harmonys than I gave credit for!!

Have a nice weekend...I am back trying to create a couple of more activities... ;)

Glad to see another Harmony user happy :-)

As for being user friendly, not so sure... Yes, it is friendly for the initial setups but the quirks drove me insane and some of the advanced things are hidden in obscure areas. Having said that, I have been a delighted user for many years.

I might be getting into that territory with my next question.....:(

How can I add a "continuous key press" into a sequence....for example, to convert my Region Disk Playback from Region B to Region A on my Oppo, I need to press the BLUE button TILL I hear a beep...one press is not going to do it...

Any ideas?

Oh..and BTW, if anybody wants a set of good icons for both FTA and FOXTEL ...PM me with an email and I can send this to you!! I spent an hour or so, converting my favourite channels to the Harmony ONE icon size..(I do not have all the icons...just 40 odd favourites of mine..but you can have it if you want to)

I think I just used multiples of the same key ... IIRC 6-8 worked fine for the Oppo 83 RF setting.

So, if I understand your suggestion...in my sequence (limited to 5 key presses), I have the following

- Set Oppo off

- BLUE button press

- BLUE button press

- BLUE button press

- "1" press

- OPPO on..(has to be done externally...because I have run out of slots!!)

Correct, Choppy?

:)

Hmmm ... I am pretty sure the 785 isn't limited to 5 key presses ... you can give it a try ... you can also fiddle with the duration setting on mine making each key press longer ... sounds to me like the One isn;t really the top of the pile! I guess thats why I never bought one LOL!

edit: that limitation is silly ... I am sure I have heaps of macros running more than 5 discrete codes.

That is what it is on the ONE!!

My URC would allow me to control the duration of a key press, so I really didnt have a problem with that....

Hmmm...I think I am beginning to find those little thingys that the Harmony wont do....but still, not such a big deal....

Thanks Choppy...

So, if I understand your suggestion...in my sequence (limited to 5 key presses), I have the following

- Set Oppo off

- BLUE button press

- BLUE button press

- BLUE button press

- "1" press

- OPPO on..(has to be done externally...because I have run out of slots!!)

Correct, Choppy?

:)

There is a limit to of 5 for a custom sequence for buttons.

If it does not work, then try creating a separate Activity called "Change Region" where you can add multiple Blue button presses and see whether this works. You can keep this as a separate activity (but have to shut existing activity, start "change region" activity, stop and re-start previous activity) or embed these additional commands into an activity called "Change Region & Play Movie".

Failing all of that, try contacting Logitech Support.

It is time to try the delays and see whether you can get away with 2 Blue button presses rather than 3. Go to Devices Tab, Settings, 3rd one is for delays. Note down what they are at the moment (likely to be default values), and try changing them up or down. Try not to change these drastically. as they may impact the way your remote operates and it could affect the usability of the Harmony.

Another thing to try is adjust sensitivity of remote. Devices Tab, Troubleshoot, Do not Add Device, look for "name of your device" responds to some commands either too many times or only occasionally. You will get a choice 0 to 5 (with a default of 3).

Have you tried programming the three blue buttons via a learned sequence. I did this once, programmed four button presses in quick succession which is then transmitted as one button press. It worked pretty well most of the time, but from memory it would occasionally miss a key press.

Blonk

Have you tried programming the three blue buttons via a learned sequence. I did this once, programmed four button presses in quick succession which is then transmitted as one button press. It worked pretty well most of the time, but from memory it would occasionally miss a key press.

Blonk

Mate, can you tell me how you did this on the Harmony One (or similar)? Thanks for the suggestion...I did try it but the software quickly registers the first key press and assigns it to the "learned" variable!!

Another thing to try is adjust sensitivity of remote. Devices Tab, Troubleshoot, Do not Add Device, look for "name of your device" responds to some commands either too many times or only occasionally. You will get a choice 0 to 5 (with a default of 3).

I tried this one....but it did not really help...thanks again for the suggestions....

Now, one suggestion that the Logitech guy did give me was this...

- Use the URC MX900

- Learn the sequence with a long hold on BLUE

- Get Logitech then to "learn" this off the URC !!

LOL!!

Mate, can you tell me how you did this on the Harmony One (or similar)? Thanks for the suggestion...I did try it but the software quickly registers the first key press and assigns it to the "learned" variable!!

I just checked and I only use sequences now on my One. I used these with the 880 I used to have, but I think that was an older version of the software.

Blonk

• 2 weeks later...

So my Harmony One couldn't hold it's charge - no power after 1/2 day.. After about 6 months finally decided to take a look, and was quite surprised that the battery is stuck...

Basically had to pry the battery up with a flat head screw driver and pull it out with pliers... The battery is all bloated up... Had the one for ~ 2 years IIRC... Battery on an old 880 also have similar issues. I don't leave the device in the charger so suspect this is probably a batch of bad batts.

Folks with remote that uses this battery (R-IG7, esp if you got this from ~ 2-3 years ago) do a quick check just to make sure the battery is still ok... Very easy to check on the One - if you can't remove the battery easily, it needs to be replaced :D...

Replacement batteries are easy enough to find on ebay or other sources.

• 2 weeks later...