Ps3 Dts-hd Ma Support On The Way

ok i recieved a copy of Pans Labyrinth tonight on BR and popped it in the PS3. I have a Yammy 1800. The Newline HD intro at startup up indicates its outputting in 7.1 PCM, but the menu and film only ouput in 5.1 PCM. Anyone else have this issue? The SP3 says its outputting DTS HD MA 7.1, but the reciever isnt getting it.

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok i recieved a copy of Pans Labyrinth tonight on BR and popped it in the PS3. I have a Yammy 1800. The Newline HD intro at startup up indicates its outputting in 7.1 PCM, but the menu and film only ouput in 5.1 PCM. Anyone else have this issue? The SP3 says its outputting DTS HD MA 7.1, but the reciever isnt getting it.

Here is a list of various 7.1 movies hazzad that explains the 5.1 pcm

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=81...p;postcount=212

The 'limited ' nomenclature on the menu some speculate is to do with the code used ; who knows :huh:

New line use a different map system for the audio tracks too apparently so there will hopefully be a firmware upgrade ;)

Edited by cwt

Thanks mate. Hopefully there will be a fix. Tell ya what ..the amount of time you waste on non compliant harware, incorrectly/badly/lazily authored discs and general stuffing around along with firmware upgrades...makes me wonder how we actually ever get around to watching anything.

Here is a list of various 7.1 movies hazzad that explains the 5.1 pcm

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=81...p;postcount=212

The 'limited ' nomenclature on the menu some speculate is to do with the code used ; who knows :huh:

New line use a different map system for the audio tracks too apparently so there will hopefully be a firmware upgrade ;)

My receiver reports all 7.1 channels working on The Orphanage from New line

My receiver reports all 7.1 channels working on The Orphanage from New line

Its all over the place Mo; to add to that Run Fatboy Run is another New line? disc that is fine .Plenty of second guessing over at bluray com in this thread -

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?p=816539#post816539

It may depend on how these discs are flagged to downmix to the 5.1/6.1 channel maximum we have had till now with the lossy codecs ?

Its a very complicated codec dts hdma compared to dolby truehd Mo and the speaker configurations this bloke shows how difficult steering discrete channels can be for it :o

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=81...p;postcount=187

Maybe it would be good for sony to clarify exactly what is meant by limited . Certainly stop the speculation ;)

Edited by cwt

OK, have firmware 2.30 on PS3, have Yammie 1800AVR connected to PS3 via HDMI.

Put in 1 x copy of SUNSHINE, which should have a DTSHDMA track (according to the audio specs and as seen in the disc menu), put yammie on 'straight' mode and best my receiver says is 'DTS'

Any ideas where my settings or problem could be?

Ta

OK, have firmware 2.30 on PS3, have Yammie 1800AVR connected to PS3 via HDMI.

Put in 1 x copy of SUNSHINE, which should have a DTSHDMA track (according to the audio specs and as seen in the disc menu), put yammie on 'straight' mode and best my receiver says is 'DTS'

Any ideas where my settings or problem could be?

Ta

If the yammie is displaying "dts" then you have the ps3 sit to bitstreaming. Change this to PCM as the the PS3 can only pass DTS-MA as PCM.

If the yammie is displaying "dts" then you have the ps3 sit to bitstreaming. Change this to PCM as the the PS3 can only pass DTS-MA as PCM.

Thanks Razza,

I tried this but then all i got on my yammie was 'PCM' where DTS was? Is this again a feature with the Yammie's like what preacher is discussing above with the Onkyo recievers?

Edited by Livingthedream

• Volunteer
Thanks Razza,

I tried this but then all i got on my yammie was 'PCM' where DTS was?

That's right, because the PS3 is decoding it and sending it as PCM signal to the AVR.

That's right, because the PS3 is decoding it and sending it as PCM signal to the AVR.

^^ what he said :)

Also if you press triange and click on info at the top of the screen it will display the audio codec.

• Volunteer
^^ what She said :)

Also if you press triange and click on info at the top of the screen it will display the audio codec.

Just a small correction to your post. ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Sony PS3 fw 2.35 and still only 5.1 DTS-MA channels from Pan's Labyrinth, not 7.1 DTS-MA.

Some how, I dont think Sony will fix the 7.1 DTS-MA 'problem'...

why would you think that.. when ps3 released.. they never said they were gonna have a release of dts-ma anyway.. see wt happened.