Ps3's Bluray To Win The War...!?!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As the drip feed of rumours continues that Bluray will be the eventual winner of the format war, Daily Variety has now 'confirmed' that Universal will no longer be backing HD DVD exclusively:

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111797876...yid=20&cs=1

Where in the articles daoes it say

that Universal will no longer be backing HD DVD exclusively

What it does say is

Daily Variety has confirmed that Universal's commitment to backing HD DVD exclusively has ended

This is a poorly written article and your use of no longer would suggest that they will now support another format, but at this point in time this is not the case.

Just needed to clarify this for any one that may be skimming the threads.

ie Universal will continue to support HDDVD and there is no suggestion yet that it will support any other format as you have suggested.

Blu-ray could win high-def battle

HD DVD backers could switch sides soon

By DIANE GARRETT, BEN FRITZThis article was updated on January 10, 2008.

The two remaining studios backing HD DVD could switch sides soon, ending the high-def format war instantly.

Daily Variety has confirmed that Universal's commitment to backing HD DVD exclusively has ended. And Paramount has an escape clause in its HD DVD contract allowing it to release pics on Blu-ray after Warner Bros.' decision to back that format exclusively.More than one option(Co) Daily Variety

Filmography, Year, Role

(Co) Daily Variety

Neither studio is ready to throw in the towel immediately, however. On Thursday, Universal broke its silence about the matter to say that it plans to keep supporting the format for the time being, a pledge Par made earlier in the week. And in any case, U is committed to a series of HD DVD promotions in coming months.

Should Toshiba concede defeat on the format, the decision to drop HD DVD would be made for both studios. But Toshiba doesn't appear ready to do that. At the Consumer Electronics Show, the manufacturer reaffirmed its commitment to the format, noting strong sales during the fourth quarter and indicating it would continue marketing its hardware through 2008.

But retailers may force the HD DVD camp's hand: They're unlikely to keep devoting premium shelf space to a dying format, and at this point, the odds are not in HD DVD's favor. With Warners' defection, only Par and U remain in the HD DVD camp; Sony, Disney, Fox, Lionsgate remain ardent Blu-ray backers. Warner sister companies New Line and HBO are also shifting allegiance to Blu-ray.

Last summer, Blockbuster also threw its weight behind Blu-ray, though some HD DVD discs remain in stores.

And Warner will continue to release HD DVD discs for the next few months to honor its previous commitment to Toshiba, which extends through May 31. Paramount's HD DVD deal, which covers DreamWorks releases, was to run through this year.

This is a poorly written article and your use of no longer would suggest that they will now support another format, but at this point in time this is not the case.

Just needed to clarify this for any one that may be skimming the threads.

How is saying "no longer backing HD DVD exclusively" or "backing HD DVD exclusively has ended" any different?

Edited by Happs

This confirms Universal's commitment to HD-DVD:-url=http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Universal/Industry_Trends/Universal_Re-Affirms_HD_DVD_Support/1362]http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Uni...VD_Support/1362[/url]

and this is not a rumour, this is from Universal themselves. Guess Transformers on BR will have to wait a little longer.

My point really is that if Universal (or any other movie studio for that matter) is not going to support HD DVD 'exclusively' it means that all movies can/will? be produced on every format (at a minimum, or perhaps just in the interim), regardless of which ever format finally succeeds.

So I'm still hopeful that Transformers will become available on BD as well as HD DVD!! ;) Whether it remains available on HD DVD 12-18-24mths from now, well who knows!!

Edited by Happs

Thanks for the link megjar...

One scenario, both formats will continue to survive and all studio’s will no longer be exclusively one or the other and produce on both formats, or another scenario is that one format will become an eventual winner and all studio's will be forced (willingly or otherwise) to adopt a format.

My view (as in my opinion, so as to not cause anyone to think this is based on some unequivocal fact!) is that the latter will be the result. Two formats will not be able to co-exist indefinitely, and the current media (be it rumours, sales stats, official announcements, unofficial announcements...etc) suggest that at this stage BD is taking the lead in terms of an eventual winner.

i dont even know why people buy blu-ray movies. They are so expensive!

The only dvds that i own are Music dvds and the free dvds that i got when i bought my dvd player about 1000 years ago. I will be renting blu rays though thats for sure.

Also has anyone noticed that blockbuster have a great range of Blu rays to buy for $25-30 (normally they are $40-50 i think) and a great range to rent from as well. But no sign of any HD DVDS....

hopefully when bluray dominates the market, the price of movies could drop to more reasonable prices

Funny you should say that, as I suspect that the HDM is actually cheaper than DVD's were at there same stage of life! Notice that a great deal titles are now $29 odd bucks at JB, which is reasonable for a format in it's infancy!

This confirms Universal's commitment to HD-DVD:-

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Uni...VD_Support/1362

and this is not a rumour, this is from Universal themselves. Guess Transformers on BR will have to wait a little longer.

What that Universal statement says is they will 'continue to support the HD-DVD format'. Note omission of the word 'exclusively'. They have not said they will not also release material on BD - ie be format 'neutral' for at least the term of the agreement with Toshiba. Indeed, the 'out clause' might only be on the 'exclusivity' component, not the whole deal with Toshiba.

Transformers on BD is therefore quite possib;e.

Funny you should say that, as I suspect that the HDM is actually cheaper than DVD's were at there same stage of life! Notice that a great deal titles are now $29 odd bucks at JB, which is reasonable for a format in it's infancy!

You must shop at a different JB's from me then. 95% of titles in Melbourne seem to be $34.95 or more, and plenty at $40+.

Universal have announced continual support of HD DVD and the Xbox 360 is Definitely NOT getting Blu-ray.

Can we close this crap now?

Boy the number of beat up threads these days just to score some cheap points or justify ones own purchase or insecurities is astounding. How about we all get back to enjoying movies and games and discussing that?

Thanks for the link megjar...

One scenario, both formats will continue to survive and all studio's will no longer be exclusively one or the other and produce on both formats

A most likely scenario. Contrary to all Sony fanbois, HD-DVD is not dead. It will be interesting to see if Warner adds more features to HD-DVD versions of movies being released from them between now and May. Example, Blood Diamond had the online features that the BR version did not.

In terms of HDM pricing in general, I tend to agree. Do you all remember that when the original DVD's first came out they were often in excess of $35-$40? Some 'high end' quality ones and live concerts/music ones were upwards of $60 and this was over 10 years ago. So in comparative terms, current pricing is much more affordable, and the prices will definitely go down as HDM sales start to overtake DVD. I bought them then too, the bane of being an early adopter hey! :lol:

I took advantage of getting a few movies a few weeks ago when JB's had a buy 2 get one free offer, for some titles it actually made HDM cheaper than their DVD equivalents! Oh and I recently bought the BD edition of the Planet Earth box set from Target actually; and there was less than $10 total price difference between BD and DVD.

Edited by Happs

• 1 month later...

At the risk of fuelling the fire even more (and I know some of this has been discussed in other forums), but to update this one with more info on BD seemingly winning the format war, here are a few interesting articles:

http://seekingalpha.com/article/64894-sony...-lesson-learned

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cf...jectid=10491964

http://www.news.com.au/technology/story/0,...5014239,00.html

... and many more just like this all over the net...

With Best Buy, Netflix, Wal-Mart, Blockbuster etc in the US announcing BD exclusivity - my opinion is that the rumours of Toshiba pulling out of the race in the near future are likely to be true. With such as loss of market share, HD will simply be unsustainable. If only BD was region free hey....!!!

So I'm glad I opted for a PS3 and I'm still hopeful I'll be able to own Transformers on BD very soon :D

Edited by Happs

HD-DVD will be virtually dead by the end of this year. You are delusional if you think otherwise :rolleyes:

If your responding to my post. I was referring to price of movies and i believe that its not a surefire bet

that there will be price drops on local bluray movies anytime soon.

Edited by ledge