Foxtel Owners & Discussion Thread

In short, the box has a 4th tuner which you can't access. This tuner is used exclusively by the iq2 to record content to your on demand and box office on demand sections which is stored in a seperate partition on it's HDD. Unfortunately you have no control over this, and provided the box is connected up and has standby power, it will occasionally start obtaining content.

Thanks for the info, mate! :)

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sorry if this is in the wrong place, new here, iv had a search around the forum but cannot find info relating specifically to my question.

im looking at getting foxtel installed in my shed. i already have 1 standard foxtel box inside through telstra, just trying to find out the best way to go about this?? whats a rough cost?? whether i would have to get a sat dish on the shed or a cable running from the box inside?? i would much prefer a dish as i am not willing to run cables through the house and out doors etc or to have them installed through the walls of the house as it is solid brick.

i live in the port adelaide area.

the point i want the box installed is around 25 metres from the box inside.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!!

Please be gentle I'm new to this. I've just ordered my IQ 2 box. Currently I have the IQ box running to 3 televisions. Main tv through tv scart to component. 2nd tv video scart to composite and 3rd tv composite to composite. All work at the same time obviously on the same channel. My question is this – with the IQ 2 can I run these 3 outputs at the same time? HDMI to tv HDMI, component HD to tv component, tv scart to tv composite? I've read many posts about this but I'm still a little confused. Some posts state that you cant get HDMI and component HDMI from the iq2 box at the same time. I really need the three outputs to work or I might as well stay with the IQ box

IQ2 question.

I schedule a lot of Sport which generally goes over time, I know you can add the 20min's to the recording but often isn't long enough, Golf for example if there's a Play Off

it can over by 1+ hours. Nascar if it rains can go over by 3+ hours.

My question, am I missing an option to extend manually, or am I stuck with recording unwanted programs at the end of my scheduled recording.

Realistically there needs to be an option to add 10-20-30-60-90-120 mins to recordings, just like my Tivo. For me this would could be done in a Firmware Upgrade.

IQ2 question.

I schedule a lot of Sport which generally goes over time, I know you can add the 20min's to the recording but often isn't long enough, Golf for example if there's a Play Off

it can over by 1+ hours. Nascar if it rains can go over by 3+ hours.

My question, am I missing an option to extend manually, or am I stuck with recording unwanted programs at the end of my scheduled recording.

Realistically there needs to be an option to add 10-20-30-60-90-120 mins to recordings, just like my Tivo. For me this would could be done in a Firmware Upgrade.

I find that with sport events that are likely to run overtime, the best option is to do a "manual" or custom recording via the setup options. Just like the old VCR recording days.

Cheers,

Jabba.

Edited by JabbaTheHutt

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
just had to keep this mega topic going!!! Will foxtel be adding any new HD channels soon?

More are expected in the usual Oct/Nov revamp period when the charges usually go up.

Two transponders will be needed for the Comm games in October so expect some new stuff about a month later.

There have been long term plans for a major improvement to the Discovery channels later this year and the rumoured 2nd BBC HD channel (that isn't simulcast like UKTV HD is) was expected this year. Plus a Fox Sports 4 HD or Fox Sports Classics would be needed pretty soon to avoid scheduling conflicts.

An educated guess would be that a new full transponder with 5 new HD channels will be added in November.

Edited by davmel

Had IQ2 installed last week as an upgrade from a non-IQ box.

Long story but we are on satellite (42 building MDU) and had to re-route one of the feeds from a bedroom to the lounge so that we had 2 feeds for the IQ2 box.

Had to book the install as a standard IQ box as the Foxtel phone operator would not accept that we could get an IQ2 install. Thankfully the contractor did have an IQ2 box in his van & install was perfect. (am on the 10.7GHz LNB and was getting all channels)

He said that we would have to ring up Foxtel and change our package to an HD package. Question I have though is how can I find out a current list of which HD channels are available for Sydney satelitte customers ? At the moment it appears that I am getting all HD channels (excluding FTA) except for the following (I was on an existing Platinum package) ;

• UK HD - when channel selected no picture & message to contact Foxtel to upgrade package
  • W HD - when channel selected no picture & message to contact Foxtel to upgrade package
  • Discovery HD - not even appearing on channel list (Do get Discovery World HD though)

So if I contact Foxtel & change my package from Platinum to Platinum HD will I get all of the above or are they not available to satellite customers ? If so may just leave as is & hopefully only pay the Platinum package.

Cheers,

youngstar

[*]UK HD - when channel selected no picture & message to contact Foxtel to upgrade package

[*]W HD - when channel selected no picture & message to contact Foxtel to upgrade package

Sounds like you need them to get your card entitlements updated since there is no reason they won't work if you get all the other channels. Your card is just missing the entitlements.

[*]Discovery HD - not even appearing on channel list (Do get Discovery World HD though)

Discovery HD was renamed to Discovery World HD about 5 months ago.

Sounds like you need them to get your card entitlements updated since there is no reason they won't work if you get all the other channels. Your card is just missing the entitlements.

Discovery HD was renamed to Discovery World HD about 5 months ago.

Many thanks :)

• 3 weeks later...

hi guys. i have what seems to be an unusual problem, at least from the perspective that i haven't been able to find any other similar cases from my internet searches. i had foxtel hd installed yesterday. the technician didn't have a hdmi cable with him at the time, so he just connected the iq2 box with the component cables already there connecting the previous iq box. i had no problems after this was done and was able to access all channels as normal and all digital free to air channels incl the hd versions of each (i only have satellite foxtel so have to watch free to air hd channels through the tv channel)

then today i got a hdmi cable which i connected. when i went to watch 7hd earlier i got a message saying no signal. it was the same story with all free to air digital and hd channels. no signal at all. i have attempted to re-tune the free to air channels and have had some success. 1st off i was able to get sbs and ch 31 only. now when i run the auto tune i am only able to get all of channels 7 and 9 and 31 up and running but no ch 10, sbs, abc. i have run the auto tune half a dozen times and just keep getting the same channels, 7 9 and 31 only

can anyone shed some light on what the problem could be?

thanks in advance

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mullos_j

Anyone know if you can just use a program like Acronis True Image to clone the orginal Seagate drive as im already well familar with the program? Thanks in advance.

Edited by mullos_j

SUCCESS! 91% :D

A couple of older recordings failed, and the first few that didn't fail have black screen at the start and end but are playable in the middle.... but most are perfectly fine still.

The HDD that was in my iQ2 prior to my switch was the st3320820sce.

That model of HDD is optimised for DVR's as it says on the seagate website, so the stock HDD's are 'Special' for the IQ2,

Also in that series of HDD's there are 750GB variants as outlined in this fact sheet,

Thanks,

ddddddddd!

Anyone know if you can just use a program like Acronis True Image to clone the orginal Seagate drive as im already well familar with the program? Thanks in advance.

You can try.

If the IQ does not see the new drive then you know that Acronis True Image cannot do the job

I consider myself a seasoned geek in many ways, but for some reason I've always freaked myself out about dealing with HDDs due to static etc and have hardly had any dealings with installing them... Any instructions or reassurance for a newbie who freaks out easily about ruining a HDD with static?! lol

I have handled drives more times than i can count and have never had one die due to being handled incorrectly.

Just touch the case of the PC/IQ before touching the drive to ground yourself and you will be fine.

• 2 weeks later...

I 've had my hard drive upgraded for sometime now. 1 Tb. No problems till today, the IQ2 must have rebooted overnight and now freezes at the searching for listing part of restart. Anyone else had issues like this? I'm not sure if it's related to upgrading the hard disk or not.