Foxtel Owners & Discussion Thread

I have an image sitting on this computer of my foxtel drive, but I can't upload 320GB, sorry!! Not only do I only have 60GB /mo up and down, at 1024kbit/sec that'd take a phenomenal amount of time (37 days!!) to upload!

EDIT! I just realised I could create an image with nil recordings. Uploading now for you. This is created with Copy+ v1.2.0.5

Download here - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=HKCWIGBE

Hi Ozasis!

Thanks so so much for going to the trouble of uploading the image!!! Very appreciated!!

An update:

I ended up finding my original 320gb drive and put it back in the IQ2... Still got stuck on boot..

Took original drive and erased it and then copied Ozasis's image over to it.. put back in IQ2.. still won't boot...

Took brand new 1gb drive and copied the image across.. Still got stuck on boot

My conclusion is that my IQ2 has a fault that has nothing to do with the HD... I suspect maybe the power supply...

Have a tech coming on Monday to check the box..

Thanks so much again Ozasis!!!

Geoff

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

let us know if he notices that you have opened the iq2 lol

Yes..well there's nothing much more I can do seeing as the original 320gb drive won't boot...

It get's past the 2 lots of blue flashing rings...the fan stops spinning and it just sits there with the red light on the power button..

If anyone has any other suggestions I'm open to it!

I'm at a loss but surely I'm not the first or the last person who has replaced their drive who will need a tech at some point!

Geoff

Well, I used the lastest copy+ to copy the old drive to the 1TB again. Had to delete the partition on the 1TB so lost all my recordings. Put the 1TB back in and so far so good...

and the same thing will happen again, just a matter of time. Format to 500gb and save yourself the trouble.

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but struggling to find 1 definitive answer.

I'm moving to a townhouse which is wired for Foxtel, but they (foxtel) tell me that its wired via satellite and with only one cable so I can't get IQ or HD services. This seems a little strange as I thought the two cables were for the different polarisations (horizontal and vertical).

In South Africa I had exactly the same setup, with a sattelite dish with a single LNB, one cable to a PVR which was a watch 2, record a 3rd and it worked perfectly, except there were a few channels I couldn't get. But the PVR functionality worked perfectly - it wasn't an HD PVR so don't know if that would have worked.

But Foxtel are adament that I can't get IQ because its only one cable. I have yet to speak to the installer as thats only booked for 3 weeks time when I move in.

So if thats all true and I can't get any IQ or HD, I think the next best option would be a standalone HD PVR. I have read there are a few - Beyonwiz, Topfield, etc that can record via AV input. Can anyone give me a brief idea of what the best setup would be if all I really want to do is watch a couple of HD channels (even FTA ones) and record Foxtel shows on a PVR. Would it be possible to get an EPG for Foxtel on the PVR so that I can easily programme the recordings?

Don't really care about media players, streaming, internet connectivity.

Thanks

Wihtout being too obvious i'd just like to double check that an upgrade to a 500GB HDD won't have any problems?

THat's still a more than doubling of storage space compared to the 320GB so would be very handy, especially with free movies coming up.

no problems with 500gb here, i have filled it completely several times and it has not crashed yet. don't think it will.

with the 1tb drives it seems to corrupt itself at a certain point now.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know if theres a way to change the output of the foxtel box from 50hz to 60hz or more? I've noticed with my new tv that 50hz produces horrible stuttering on pan shots (eg the stuff on Discovery HD) and it appears from a bit of research that the tv doesnt handle 50hz tv too well.. Yet it plays 24hz blurays beautifully.

• 2 weeks later...
no problems with 500gb here, i have filled it completely several times and it has not crashed yet. don't think it will.

with the 1tb drives it seems to corrupt itself at a certain point now.

Yes I had trouble with my 1 T drive months ago and went back to the original drive until this week, used copy plus to make a 1 T drive on a WD green.

Weird, it works but all the recorded programs became "failed" but it seems to work OK but the box seems to be crashing once per day requiring a power cycle. Strangely when i put the original drive back in....all of the recorded programs had changed to "failed" also, but it still boots.

Judging by the lack of people talking about this issue in forums I am wondering if it is drive specific. I might try a seagate 1 T drive it to see if it stabilizes. Or I can put a 500GB WD green in it, it just annoys me that when changing drives now everything thats been recorded seems to change to "fail" so I have to pick my time or my wife will eat me. I am wondering if its crashing because the ears drive is not as fast as the 7200 seagate, I would not have thought so but it is worth a try.

Tried to add to my previous post rather than post a new one, for what its worth the 500GB seems stable, no crashes, while not as spacious as the 1T its a lot better than the whats left of the 320 after on demand storage.

Not sure if this the right thread, but is there any recent news about using external drives with the IQ2? Now that the larger internal drives are so problematical, it would be great if Foxtel got their act together and enabled the use of external drives to give us the capacity we need for that HD goodness.

It get's past the 2 lots of blue flashing rings...the fan stops spinning and it just sits there with the red light on the power button..

I am seeing the same issue with my 1Tb drive :(

Will swap back in the original drive tomorrow but at the moment IQ2 will not boot.

Edit: Swapped it back now and its working ok with original drive... So what is this issue people are saying they see quite often with 1Tb and what is the solution?

Edited by phoenixdigital

There is no solution (yet, however there probably won't be one), and that itself is the problem...

How common is this issue? Does it happen approx to 10% - 100% of people? Just curious to whether I will bother re-adding it again.

Whats the maximum size that people have put in which have no issues?

Edited by phoenixdigital

http://www.channelnews.com.au/Content_And_...t/IPTV/J7K2B7U7

New Foxtel Set Top Box 2012

Foxtel is set to launch a brand new IP enabled box in an effort to attract new consumers to their TV subscription service.

Speaking at the ASTRA conference today, Kim Williams, CEO of Foxtel, said that the company was struggling to attract new customers because of Freeview, the launch of new HD channels and the introduction of new IP enabled content services in Australia.

The new set-top box, which is due in the 2012-2013 financial year, will deliver cloud based services, be IP–centric and have expanded storage capability.

In the past, Foxtel has deliberately restricted their customers from having access to attach storage devices or internet based services by disabling components within the current Foxtel set top box offerings.

Williams said: "Our new set top box will be web-based and allow for greater personalisation via the introduction of new software. It will be hot-wired to the internet, have better storage and a will be cloud based offering."

Williams said that currently the churn rate at Foxtel was approx 12.7 percent. However, he admitted that the company was struggling to attract new customers which had forced a re-think of the Foxtel "brand, content and delivery systems".

He also revealed that Australia watched less TV than the US or the UK.

In Australia, according to OzTAM, Australians watch 22 hours of TV per week, while in the US consumers watch 34 hours, and in the UK, 28 hours.

Williams said that for Foxtel to survive and grow they have to deliver better customer service, more exclusive content and be competitive in the availability of their services across multiple devices, spanning smartphones, tablets, PCs, TVs and gaming consoles.

More to follow.

• 3 weeks later...

I have searched for a few days but cant find an answer to my simple question.

I have my main tv connected to my IQ2 by component. Im trying to run another out from the scart/component connection. I can get picture on only one tv, but sound on both. Option 1 and 2 give me a picture on the main tv (component) but no pic on the second tv (scart/component). Option 3 and 4 do the oposite (Pic on the scart/component, no pic on the component)

Another issue i have is that trying HDMI from the IQ2 to any TV gives me nothing! Regardless of video setting.

HD menu is set Auto for resolution video setting on option 1 or 2. When i do plug in the HDMI cable i get a HDCP error message, but it goes after 2 secs. But there is no output on the HDMI source on the TV.

Can te IQ2 box output component and scart at the same time? From what ive read here, it should.

• 2 weeks later...

When I connect my IQ2 via HDMI I notice that there is a significant lag in response to pressing buttons on the remote. If I change the connection to component the lag disappears and channel scrolling etc is instantaneous. Is this a common problem?

Does anyone know if theres a way to change the output of the foxtel box from 50hz to 60hz or more? I've noticed with my new tv that 50hz produces horrible stuttering on pan shots (eg the stuff on Discovery HD) and it appears from a bit of research that the tv doesnt handle 50hz tv too well.. Yet it plays 24hz blurays beautifully.

Does your TV have image/motion enhancement settings? If so, try turning them off for the input to which the IQ is connected. I had this problem with a Panasonic LCD that has "motion picture pro" defaulting to MAX. Turning it off fixed this problem on the TV itself and on the IQ2 (most noticable during fast moving football).

Help!

This upgrade sounded easy enough in the earlier posts, so I gave this a go. The 1Tb drive did not work, so I swapped the 320 back in. The box would boot up, but planner only showed a message about bringing the mode out of power save mode.

I figured something had changed the properties of the 320Tb drive, so I downloaded an image from this forum and used copy+ to put that on the 320 drive. Now the box will not boot. When powered on, everything lights up and then it goes into standby mode with only the Red light. You can see that command are being received from the remote (the blue light on the box comes on to show commands being received) but it does not respond.

I had thought that I could simply Hard Reset the box or similar and have it format the drive, but I have found no way to do this. Any help would be really appreciated.

I have the IQ2 , ie, Pace tdc851nf

Cheers.