Foxtel Owners & Discussion Thread

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds interesting, but I still find it hard to understand what you need 1000GBs of tv for?

Surely once you have seen a show, movie, documentary the mystery and fun is over. Why would you watch it again? And if you don't watch it again, what purpose is there in hording them all on a HDD which will eventually go back to Foxtel (assuming the IQ2 becomes obsolete one day).

It's like reading a book, how many people read a book more than once (a few I know, I've read two books twice but that is it, mainly no one!) The only reason you keep a book is because up till now the only way to get access to the book was to buy the thing, then you are stuck with it on a shelf for decades, they don't broad cast books so to speak. Of course the kindle etc now allow for you to own the rights to read it but once you have read it you can delete the text off your device and download it any time you like in the future. You don't need to hoard it for a nuclear holocaust...

So I am curious what do you guys actually do with your time, do you have jobs and family LOL! I assume you might run kids shows over and over (but then again there are over 7 kids channels that run fresh content 24/7 too).

I just can't see any benefit to having so much 'temporary' digital storage of Foxtel content. I can't find the time now to enjoy what is broadcast daily, let alone slog through 1000GBs of archived stuff that will be rebroadcast in a weeks time anyway.

Am I missing something?

It's purely for convenience for me. Once HD came along if you recorded any sports or anything HD you'd fill the hard drive up in no time and overwrite some show that your kid or your wife had hoped to watch. Multi-hour hd sports events and series linked Fox 8 HD were what forced me. We eventually got to the point of having half the disk 'Keeped'. you'd end up with a few series linked shows and a couple of movies you'd end up with less than a week before shows started getting recorded over. it ended needing to have a regular meeting of householders as to what got deleted or spend $100 upgrade the hard drive and live with the occasional unwanted overwrite - well so far none since the upgrade . Heaps less time and hassle upgrading the hard disk than listening to another "where's my desperate housewives" or finding out the game you recorded on the weekend got wiped because someone series linked a TV1 weekend special. I think the more relevant question would be why would foxtel provide such a small hard disk on a device where they make bulk recording so easy, and really push the watch what you want when you want. If you're reasonably indiscriminate in what you watch and when it's true there's heaps to keep you going without the need for a disk at all, but if have particular tastes at particular times the 320Gb (well I believe it's more like 160gb once you allow for their on demand stuff) is just far too small. I personally don't think 1000gb is necessary; more so that 320gb is way to little, but given the pricing that's the one that will go in.

Aw crap, so you're telling me if I go upstairs and turn the TV on my 'special edition' 1TB IQ2 is not going to work??

Been away for a few days, just got back tonight. We haven't turned on the TV yet. Almost nervous to do it now! It'll suck losing recordings, but it'll suck even more having to go back to 320GB's. Sh*t, I'm not even sure where the old 320 is, will have to go digging for it if mine has joined the screwed club.

Ok I'm off to check it....

.....and mines still ok :)

Might just mean the update hasn't rolled around to our box yet though. The IQ2 is showing software version: 96.2.7.1.11.26, OS version: CO22P27 and EPG Software version: U_1.6.18. Is this the updated one you guys have?

Edited by Musketeer

This thread just got scary!! :(

Mine's still working fine on firmware 96.2.7.1.11.26, OS C022P27 EPG U_1.6.18 too... Is there a later one? Maybe I can save my recordings by pulling the drive out now before a firmware upgrade is forced?

you both have the latest firmware and software updates

consider yourself lucky

i don't know why it doesn't effect everyone

i only had around 30% left on my box at the time it crashed, maybe that had something to do with it?

Edited by Junkyard

I think you might be onto something... My 1TB was about 95% full and it freezes on startup.

One thing I noticed is that it takes almost 20 minutes to reset the box with the (almost full) 1TB drive in it, but only 30 seconds if I put the original 320GB (and almost empty) drive in. Is anyone else seeing times like this?

Could it be that my IQ is about 65% empty? Do you guys having problems have drives over half full? Maybe big drives cause some sort of issue with the new software when they go over a certain amount of content?

Just noticed your edit Junkyard. Could be it.

It all depends on weather you initially used copy+ to format your drive. you will have issues if you used copy+

It all depends on weather you initially used copy+ to format your drive. you will have issues if you used copy+

If the Foxtel survey I have just completed is anything to go by, then this whole concept of breaching your agreement with Foxtel by substituting hard drives becomes obsolete.

They are finally looking at introducting external hard drive capabilities to the IQ and IQ2, with multiple hard drive capabilities.

Cheers,

Jabba.

Hi,

The latest Foxtel IQ2 software update has definitely done something relating to bigger hard drives than the original 320Gb.

I'd purchased a 1TB WD AV drive some 6 months ago and after a few teeching problems on the 1st day, all was well.

I was watching Foxtel the other morning at 4.00am and noticed the IQ2 unit rebooted, which is usual at this time, started downloading the software update, finished, rebooted and I got the message:

Searching for listings

Please Wait

It just seems the IQ2 is freezing or crashing.

I called Foxtel to organise a service call, was scheduled for this morning.

Thought I better put back the original 320Gb hard drive, turned IQ2 box back ON and it started OK.

Checked the 1TB AV in PC and files and drive are OK, used HDD Regenerator v2011 all night doing a scan and No Bad Sectors.

Decided to purchase another 1TB WD today to check, same thing, IQ2 box just freezes at the same spot.

If I find out any more, I'll report back.

Cheerz :):D;)

Hi,

I think if you used IQ2 Full System Reset, the 1TB drive will be formatted as a 320Gb, I think this happened to me.

Ended up doing this using the hidden Full System Reset menu option on my IQ2. That seemed to fix it and its working good now :) Guess something got corrupted diuring the copy process.

did a foxtel tech help ?

Could it be that my IQ is about 65% empty? Do you guys having problems have drives over half full? Maybe big drives cause some sort of issue with the new software when they go over a certain amount of content?

I don't think so. I'm on holidays at the moment, and I'd pretty much worked my way through all the stuff I'd recorded. I was at about 90% empty when mine froze.

I'm going to format the 1TB again later tonight and give it another shot.

Edit - just reading through some of the old posts in this thread it appears that there may have been three different firmware versions with Copy+ that worked with this upgrade (1.2.0.3, 1.2.0.4 and 1.2.0.5). I can't remember which version I used. This may only affect one or two versions? :shrug:

Edited by Iglesia

Yeah my 1tb drive has the same problems as everyone else.

I forced a system update trying to fix it which took hours and improved nothing and was probably a bad move... http://www.cnet.com.au/how-to-reset-and-up...d-339292204.htm

Was about 80% full but when I hook it up to my PC it now only says it's using 185GB and lots of files are missing. Original HDD works fine.

Guess I'll have to wait like everyone else and hope the new version fixes things.

Hi,

Apparently Sky + might have a partition limit of just over 500Gbs.

I'm using Copy+ to copy about 500Gbs to a new 1TB WD, I want to see if the amount of files on the hard drive is causing the problem, my IQ2 hard drive had probably around 650Gbs on it.

If the new 1TB hard drive with around 500GB of files halts the IQ2 loadup, I'll use Copy+ to resize the partition to about 640Gbs, the copy files to it.

Keep you posted, there has to be a reason why the IQ2 software update is causing problems, I suspect either size of hard drive partition, or amount of files on the drive.

Yeah my 1tb drive has the same problems as everyone else.

I forced a system update trying to fix it which took hours and improved nothing and was probably a bad move... http://www.cnet.com.au/how-to-reset-and-up...d-339292204.htm

Was about 80% full but when I hook it up to my PC it now only says it's using 185GB and lots of files are missing. Original HDD works fine.

Guess I'll have to wait like everyone else and hope the new version fixes things.

Hi,

Well, I'm confused at the moment and not sure which way to proceed.

OK, here goes.

I used the new 1TB WD (not 1TB WD AV) and copied about 450Gbs of data from my previously working 1TB WD AV and it now says it has 58% FREE, so I expect about 420Gb or so was copied.

I left the new 1TB WD as a 936Gb or so partition.

Plugged into Foxtel IQ2 box and IQ2 fired up with no issues.

My question:

With IQ2 new software update, when IQ2 boots, has it got a total recognizable file limitation of say 640Gbs as my previous 1TB WD AV hard drive would've had more files than 640Gb.

Maybe a safer bet might be to purchase a 640Gb WD if IQ2 can't function with more capicity of files.

Hi,

Apparently Sky + might have a partition limit of just over 500Gbs.

I'm using Copy+ to copy about 500Gbs to a new 1TB WD, I want to see if the amount of files on the hard drive is causing the problem, my IQ2 hard drive had probably around 650Gbs on it.

If the new 1TB hard drive with around 500GB of files halts the IQ2 loadup, I'll use Copy+ to resize the partition to about 640Gbs, the copy files to it.

Keep you posted, there has to be a reason why the IQ2 software update is causing problems, I suspect either size of hard drive partition, or amount of files on the drive.

Hi,

When using Copy+ to copy IQ2 files from previous 1TB WD AV, I got this error message 3 times:

Can not determine Endian format, or VC2 incorrect.

Then it listed individually 3 directories and failed to copy these.

To reduce files on hard drive, I OMITTED all of the On Demand files which was probably in excess of 100Gbs.

Installed 1TB into IQ2 and it booted fine and shows 52% free.

To test further, I deleted the 1TB WD AV volume so I could copy files from the newer 1TB WD back to the 1TB WD AV and see if this works in IQ2 box.

If it fires up OK, I purchased a Hotway PROBOX 3.5" HDD ENCLOSURE for SATA I and SATA II hard drives, it can be connected using USB cable or eSATA, I plan to connect the cable directly to the IQ2 mainboard and have an external HDD, it gets pretty hot in the IQ2 box.

I'm starting to think it's the total GBs of files stored on the IQ2 hard drive that's the problem rather than using a 1TB drive, maybe it has a 500Gb, 600Gb or whatver reading limit, who knows.

Edited by daMANiack

I was just trying to work out why Copy+ didn't display any of the recorded shows on my 1TB HDD even thought all of the files are still on the drive in their appropriate directories. I ended up nosing through the copy+.log file in c:/Program Files/Copy+/ and it lists all of the iQ2 database information on the recordings, but after each listing it says "The recording directory is not valid!"

This may even be why the iQ2 is freezing up on startup when it sees this long list of recordings and for some reason the directories are coming up as invalid.

At least I can parse the log file and extract a list of all of my recordings. If it turns out that I can't get them back I'll have a ready-made list to feed to the BitTorrents. ;)

Hi,

I purchased from JayCar:

DIGITECH 2.5"/3.5" SATA HDD to USB2.0 & ESATA DOCKING STATION - $49.95

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=XC4690

SATA to eSATA 0.9" cable - $9.95

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=PL0757

and unscrewed the USB connector on the back of the IQ2 box so I could insert SATA end through the USB hole, removed the HHD sata cable from mainboard and connected the SATA connector to mainboard.

Plugged eSATA cable end into DIGITECH Docking station, plugged in power adaptor, turned IQ2 box and docking station ON and 1TB WD AV hard drive is functioning perfectly.

For simplicity, I put the IQ2 and Docking Station power plugs onto a double adaptor so if I need to turn off the IQ2 box, the hard drive turns off as well. Obviously, both are powered at the same time when power is turned ON.

Now, if I ever have a IQ2 boot problem, I can within a few seconds, turn both units off, remove 1TB and replace with original IQ2 320GB hard drive to determine if the 1TB HDD is the problem

If for

I was very excited when I found this topic this morning. I've been wanting more capacity for my IQ2 ever since I got it.

But after reading through this topic and seeing the recent firmware indroduced issue, am I correct in understanding that right now we can't do the upgrade - that we'll have to wait until the software guys come up with a workaround? Or does this problem just affect those that have already made the switch to a 1Tb drive?

Best Regards, Lloyd Borrett.

Hi,

From my testing, it's unknown why the latest IQ2 software update caused problems with the IQ2 bootup process.

You can upgrade to a 1TB, I personally wouldn't go any higher.

I think problem since latest software upgrade, is with IQ2's ability to read more than maybe 500Gb, 600Gb of files on hard drive, unknown at this stage.

I currently have 58% free so I have around 400Gb of files stored on my 1TB WD AV HD.

Only way I can test, is allow the file stored capicity to increase, monitor the % and if IQ2 box fails to bootup one morning, seems to reboot around 3.30 to 4.00am most mornings, I can turn IQ2 + SATA Docking Station OFF, take out 1TB and replace with original 320Gb IQ2 hard drive. Turn IQ2 back ON and if it starts, the MAXIMUM CAPITY is around last known 936Gb * % USED.

If the IQ2 boot problems with 1TB hard drives is capacity of stored files, you can use Copy+ when copying files from one drive to another, resize the IQ2 hard drive partition size.

I've kept the newer 1TB WD HD (non AV) so I can reduce file capicity of stored files by copying from IQ2 1TB AV drive to this 1TB, it seems the only way to beable to reduce the files on a IQ2 HD if you can't access the drive through IQ2. You can tell Copy+ what files to OMIT before you start the copy process.

I hope this answers your questions, please feel free to contact me (Ken) on 0417-122333 if you have queries and would like to discuss.

If IQ2 has a maximum capity of stored files, I will resize partition when using Copy+, this will be maybe the safest bet.

I was very excited when I found this topic this morning. I've been wanting more capacity for my IQ2 ever since I got it.

But after reading through this topic and seeing the recent firmware indroduced issue, am I correct in understanding that right now we can't do the upgrade - that we'll have to wait until the software guys come up with a workaround? Or does this problem just affect those that have already made the switch to a 1Tb drive?

Best Regards, Lloyd Borrett.

Edited by daMANiack

Hi,

I purchased from JayCar:

DIGITECH 2.5"/3.5" SATA HDD to USB2.0 & ESATA DOCKING STATION - $49.95

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=XC4690

SATA to eSATA 0.9" cable - $9.95

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=PL0757

and unscrewed the USB connector on the back of the IQ2 box so I could insert SATA end through the USB hole, removed the HHD sata cable from mainboard and connected the SATA connector to mainboard.

you could just use the existing eSATA connector by plugging it into the first SATA interface on the mainboard, and plugging your external drive into that... might be a bit cleaner. :)