Hdtv Prices

Well, i had a disappointing day tv shopping today. I went to every known electrical store in the Chatswood area and no-one would price match the $1280 for the W5500. The cheapest price i was given was $1,500 from the Good guys.

Jbhifi seems to know that this price match has came from the net and wouldn't touch it with a 10ft barge pole, their best price was $1,550. So, anyone looking to get it for $1280 anywhere in Sydney, good luck!

Edited by poppy

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope you got it, I forwarded you a copy at 9am this morning but got an out-of-office autoreply.

[/quote

Thanks very much. I did receive it but had no luck with getting any store to price match it. Most stores were out of stock of this model

So i guess I wait until the new year, and hopefully the retails business slows down, we have a couple of interest rate rises so people stop spending and they have to push the tvs in the first quarter of 2010.

Cheers

Well, i had a disappointing day tv shopping today. I went to every known electrical store in the Chatswood area and no-one would price match the $1280 for the W5500. The cheapest price i was given was $1,500 from the Good guys.

Jbhifi seems to know that this price match has came from the net and wouldn't touch it with a 10ft barge pole, their best price was $1,550. So, anyone looking to get it for $1280 anywhere in Sydney, good luck!

Chasing a Sony 40W5500.

Used the $1280 receipt all around Canberra. No one would come close. JB hifi said there were "issues" with price matching off the internet lately. Good guys showed me their wholesale price which was $1468.

Eventually got one at Bing Lee for $1460 which I think is still a great deal considering the redemption blu ray player and 3 year warranty (both of which have been extended to 31/01/10.)

Went to Harvey Norman Fountaingate yesterday, asked the salesman what their policy is on price matching, he said we'll match a price, why what have you seen, I said, would you match another Harvey Norman on a 54S10 at $1,999, - No definately not - that's way below cost, oh and we don't have them in stock anyway....

As I was walking out, another salesman approached me and asked if he could help, I asked if he had any 54S10's in stock, he checked the computer, yeah I've got half a dozen in stock....but he still wouldn't price match the $1999.

On the topic of Harvey Norman, I noticed that their scamming is still going on.

I was in one of their stores yesterday and there was a guy who was looking for a Sony 40" W5500. The ticketed price was $1679 and the guy asked for the best price. The salesman said "I'll do it for $1650". $29 discount which works out to just 1.72% off. WTF ? The jerk still wanted to buy it so the salesman decided to twist the knife further - he sold him a Monster HDMI cable for $150 (for use with the free BD player which will arrive later) and the idiot said "OK". After seeing this, the salesman went for the jugular and brought out his masterpiece - a Monster antenna cable which he sold for a further $75.

When the salesman turned around, I gave him a knowing look. He turned away and dragged the buyer towards the payment counter in a wild hurry. And to top it off, the JB Hi-Fi 3 levels down had the Sony ticketed at $1600 !

HN's nonsense doesn't end here. As I was walking away, another salesman asked me if I wanted to know anything about TVs. I asked him about one of the frameless 47" LG LCDs (it was the SL80 and the ticket price looked quite decent). I was looking for something bigger. He said "it doesn't come in sizes over 47 inches". This was proven to be false because LG makes it in 55". Then he said "you should buy LED TV" and showed me the Sony Z5500. I told him "this isn't LED backlit" but he persisted with his arguments saying "it is backlit and it's 200Hz".

How many more lies will these people tell ?

Got the 54S10 for $1650 + $339 4 years extended warranty = $1989 from DJs

You think its worth $85 a year for extended warranty? Can cancel the warranty within 21 days

Sash could yo post a receipt for that. Wanta go pick one up at that price.

thx

You think its worth $85 a year for extended warranty? Can cancel the warranty within 21 days

-

Whoa, that's a very good price, where is this DJ's ??? and can you post up a copy of the bill...

picked up KDL52Z5500 yesterday from Sony Centre Chatswood for $2849 plus $155 for 4 yrs extra warranty (total $3004)

Lucky we didn't buy from JB the day before (they didn't have stock) for $3250 (including 3 yrs extra warranty)

Anyone wants to buy Sony, I suggest please check Sony Centre, they're doing great prices atm

Edited by St33p

Thanks for that, however is it possible to leave in the store and sales assistant info intact? And perhaps show the whole receipt (you've cropped it a little tight)?

It's a great price and I'm sure some merchants will use these excuses not to price match. I'd say even walking into a David Jones store you'd find it difficult to get a price match with that info missing.

Thanks.

Wow , noone in Brisbane will touch $1999 let alone $16 ish ..

I wonder how some people do these prices whilst others just laugh.

Even though I really want a 58 this would be so tempting.

Also ... where did the extra $1000 come from? Its a kinda odd receipt $1650 + 0 +0 = $2650

Edited by jadel