Should I Buy A Ps3 From Hong Kong?

Seriously,anyone know of any online shop in Honk Kong to buy from.

was all set to buy local,but the prices ive seen here for HK PS3's is

pretty good.

The ones on ebay are around $720 delivered to Aus,much dearer then what has been

stated in this thread.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well i just purchased it from ebay. since i couldnt find any other way to get the ps3 from HK. I got it with an extra controller and 2 games.

package was: 80gb ps3, extra controller, ghost recon 2 travel adapter, delivery $718.99 + $65 for fight night round 3

None of the ones on ebay i have seen have come with any kind of extras.

There all pretty much around the $700 mark delivered for the console only,no extra

controller or games.

Who did u buy from.

HKD$3780 is the official price at sony store, you get a free game of your choice as well. most of the game stores or electronic stores sell for HKD$2800-3100 just for the 80G console

Oh - where would you go to get HKD 2800 - HKD 3100? I'm sure my English speaking "bargaining" didn't help as I couldn't get them to budge on the RRP. Visited about 6 different stores and none of them would budge a cent. Also, to buy the console at RRP HKD 3780, I needed to buy a game from them as well. That wouldn't not have been a problem if they had the game I wanted (F1 Championship) in stock, which they didn't. 2 stores that had F1 Championship didn't have the console in stock. In the end, I managed to find a store that said it was ok if I didn't buy a game from them.

I only shopped at the major chains because I can at least be confident I won't be dealing with some shonky stolen/fallen of the back of a truck item. At least I can take comfort in t hat I did save about AUD 400 compared to buying in Oz. All in all, I bought the console (comes with a free extra controller), F! Championship (from another store) and Blueray remote for about AUD $670 - can't complain about that.

+ Able to play games from anywhere

+ Able to play Region A BD (buy from say Amazon - cheaper and bigger range than Oz)

+ Able to play Region 3 DVDs w/upscale (grabbed a few... new releases are about HKD 100 on avg ~ AUD 15)

+ Save about AUD 400

- Cannot play Region 4 DVDs (so my collection at home will have to be happy continuing their partnership with my 6 yo DVD player)

- Cannot play Region B BD (at least I won't be sucked into impulse purchases when visiting JB and the like)

(but that also means I cannot borrow or rent Aussie BD)

- Cannot play my PS1 or PS2 games. Well, I still have the PS2. I suppose I'll have to use that for the PS2 games.

Also, I was trying out the BD remote to check that it works. Being a complete moron when trying to following the onscreen instructions which said something like press the Enter and Start button at the same time to activate/sync the remote with the console. I was pressing the Enter button on the remote and the Start button on the controller... and kept trying without success. Tried again the following night, and realised that there is a start button on the remote! Tried that and --> Bingo! D'OH!

Oh - where would you go to get HKD 2800 - HKD 3100? I'm sure my English speaking "bargaining" didn't help as I couldn't get them to budge on the RRP. Visited about 6 different stores and none of them would budge a cent. Also, to buy the console at RRP HKD 3780, I needed to buy a game from them as well. That wouldn't not have been a problem if they had the game I wanted (F1 Championship) in stock, which they didn't. 2 stores that had F1 Championship didn't have the console in stock. In the end, I managed to find a store that said it was ok if I didn't buy a game from them.

I only shopped at the major chains because I can at least be confident I won't be dealing with some shonky stolen/fallen of the back of a truck item. At least I can take comfort in t hat I did save about AUD 400 compared to buying in Oz. All in all, I bought the console (comes with a free extra controller), F! Championship (from another store) and Blueray remote for about AUD $670 - can't complain about that.

+ Able to play Region A BD (buy from say Amazon - cheaper and bigger range than Oz)

+ Able to play Region 3 DVDs w/upscale (grabbed a few... new releases are about HKD 100 on avg ~ AUD 15)

+ Save about AUD 400

- Cannot play Region 4 DVDs (so my collection at home will have to be happy continuing their partnership with my 6 yo DVD player)

- Cannot play Region B BD (at least I won't be sucked into impulse purchases when visiting JB and the like)

- Cannot play my PS1 or PS2 games. Well, I still have the PS2. I suppose I'll have to use that for the PS2 games.

Even with HK PS3 I think you will buy local Aus. BR discs if they are competitively price because a lot of Aust. release BRs are region free, I have a HK Ps3 but I bought Spiderman 1,2,3 pack, shooter, hellboy, ghostrider and 300 because the price on most of these discs are cheaper than what I can get from Amazon.

Even with HK PS3 I think you will buy local Aus. BR discs if they are competitively price because a lot of Aust. release BRs are region free, I have a HK Ps3 but I bought Spiderman 1,2,3 pack, shooter, hellboy, ghostrider and 300 because the price on most of these discs are cheaper than what I can get from Amazon.

He's right. Check out this site which lists region B (Europe, Australia) Blu Ray that can be played on region A players, and vice versa.

http://bluray.liesinc.net/

5th OCT PS3 price from one HK local store:

80G + 2 Controllers + VF5 + one game of your choice = HKD$3760 (AUD$546)

80G + 1 Controllers + VF5 + one game of your choice = HKD$3480 (AUD$505)

The 40GB PS3 will be on sale in Australia from October 11. Ephraim says the new model's A$699.95 price point and the PS3's upcoming library of games will significantly increase sales of the PS3 down under between now and Christmas, tipping a doubling of the PS3's current install base of approximately 83,000 units. "We think now that with the price reduction, we're going to come very close [to] if not exceed doubling that number by the end of this year," he said.

http://au.gamespot.com/news/6180611.html?o...orenews;title;1

Can you PM me the address + contact of the store??

Hi,

I was wondering did you check in your PS3 or did you carry it via hand luggage? I am thinking to get one as well!

Aand i suppose getting past customs is no problems?

Cheers,

Kenn.

+ Save about AUD 400

Just a question as I'm thinking of purchasing a 40Gb PS3 from Play-Asia,

With the warranty, say something on the PS3 screws up, do I have to send it back to where I purchased it? Or will Sony AU fix it?

I have no problems with buying overseas especially for the cheap Blu-Rays I can get from Amazon it's just the warranty that's worrying me.

And also, I heard rumours that the 40GB PS3 doesn't contain the universal power supply...this isn't true right?

Thanks in advance

Edited by cazzy

In regards to bringing it into the country...

customs should be fine... I think you can bring in/import up to $1000 AUD of goods, before you are taxed. The only issue is weight, and how much you can carry over all

Anyone bought in a PS3 from the US??? any issues there with BD?

In regards to bringing it into the country...

customs should be fine... I think you can bring in/import up to $1000 AUD of goods, before you are taxed. The only issue is weight, and how much you can carry over all

Anyone bought in a PS3 from the US??? any issues there with BD?

It's "only" $900, and only $450 if your under 18. Which i think is still ok as the PS3 is < $450 AUD in asia and other countries right now?

+1 also interested in where i can get these prices in HK.

Anyone has any idea will the US ps3 which is the NTSC version work with the games selling in Australia? I'm planning to buy a ps3 from US but is worried the NTSC version will not work with the games in Australia since it is PAL oin Australia.

Thanks heaps for reply...

Anyone has any idea will the US ps3 which is the NTSC version work with the games selling in Australia? I'm planning to buy a ps3 from US but is worried the NTSC version will not work with the games in Australia since it is PAL oin Australia.

Thanks heaps for reply...

From what I know, all ps3 games are region free.

From what I know, all ps3 games are region free.

I been told the same thing also, but I went to places like JB and EB Games, all the games they note region 4 at the back. And I am wondering since is different region will it work? Besides that, some website actually stated the Games as PAL and HK or USA console is actually NTSC or NTSC-J. I still not sure, but I think they should work.