Should I Buy A Ps3 From Hong Kong?

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys im in Hong Kong right now for a few days and im thinking of buying a PS3, are there any downsides apart from the blu=ray region coding.

It can be had for around $620 Australian with any game of my choice.

Nocode

Resale value would be the only negative that I could see but in all honesty I would only have a Region A player for Blu-Ray as there will always be more titles available in the US through Amazon than here in Oz.

If it were me I would get the PS3 there and bring it back with me.

Bought mine in HKG. Haven t had an issue even with blu ray region coding. most titles ive found are region free and the ones that arent you buy from amazon (huge range) and at cheaper prices than Aus anyway. You will also find alot of members on this board with import consoles who also have blu ray region A disks and you cant trade with them on this board.

So really i find the only major issue's are

a) if it breaks in warranty has to go back to country of warranty (i beleive)

B) getting firmeareupdates from the jap website which i find hard to navigate as my Japaneses isnt too good. however im sure once i set my ethernet cable up and not just use my usb to do the firmware upgrades it will just download automatically

c) and yes resale (but why would you resell a blue ray player that plays games!)

Enjoy

Edited by Livingthedream

I have a Japanese version. With ethernet, the firmware updates are found automatically . There is also no problems registering for the Oz PS Store.

+ Region A player (for me)

+ Cheaper

- Region 2 DVD

- Jap PS1/PS2 compatability only

- Warranty (although apparent PS3's are much more reliable (so far) than XBox 360's)

Guest Flex1503561254
I have a Japanese version. With ethernet, the firmware updates are found automatically . There is also no problems registering for the Oz PS Store.

+ Region A player (for me)

+ Cheaper

- Region 2 DVD

- Jap PS1/PS2 compatability only

- Warranty (although apparent PS3's are much more reliable (so far) than XBox 360's)

I am too thinking to get a ps3 from Japan where I will be going next month. do you remember how much it cost you? the spec? is it 60 gb? is there any tweak to modify the region compatibility? Thanks

I am too thinking to get a ps3 from Japan where I will be going next month. do you remember how much it cost you? the spec? is it 60 gb? is there any tweak to modify the region compatibility? Thanks

I got a Japanese version (60GB) from HK (yesasia).

I've done no tweaking. It is region-a (bluray) out of the box.

I don't play dvd's or ps1/ps2 games on it.

PS3 games are region free.

Hi guys im in Hong Kong right now for a few days and im thinking of buying a PS3, are there any downsides apart from the blu=ray region coding.

Nocode

$620? You can do better than that. I picked up the 20Gb version, Resistance, 2nd controller, & blue tooth remote for $3200 HKD, which at todays rate is about $490 AUD ($450 AUD it worked out to be earlier this year when i was there).

Nocode

Cheapest / Best place in HK to buy PC / Consoles / games etc is in Sham Shui Po...........the have a few arcades there.

Don't buy from tourist places like Tsim Sha Tsui

Cool Eddie thanks, leaving Hong Kong Sunday night and made up my mind not to buy one from here, but if the 60gig comes down in price on the weekend I might change my mind...again.

Thanks

p.s If the next firmware update had Blu-ray Region free it would be as good as sold

sorry, i just got some info, 80G won't be available until next Saturday, don't know about the price yet. 60G is already selling at discounted price, pretty good deal i would say.

sorry, i just got some info, 80G won't be available until next Saturday, don't know about the price yet. 60G is already selling at discounted price, pretty good deal i would say.

60GB version is good enough and if you want one with bigger hard drive simply buy a 2.5'' SATA 160GB HDD for about $140 undo a few screws and take the old drive out, plug in the new drive and tightened the screw and then put old hard drive on ebay. It is cheaper than going for 80GB version of PS3.

Edited by jliang70

Im still in 3 minds about buying a ps3 from Hong Kong, yes, no and maybe.

The new 80gig is out and can be had for around $650 Australian dollars.

Would anyone be interested in buying it from me if i dont want it, it will be brand new in the box, if i open it i will keep it.

If people are interested please let me know it will ease my mind if i can offload it, remember it wont be used at all, but will be the Jap version, if i decide to sell.

Sorry for repeating myself but im down to my last dollars when it comes to buying a ps3 over in hong kong.

Cheers

Nocode

I live in Hong Kong. I would try either the Golden Computer centre in Sham Shui Po (exit D2 from memory) first floor or Oriental 188 Shopping Centre, 188 Wan Chai Road, Wan Chai. This is not the popular computer centre locate above Wan Chai tube or the one down the road at 288 Hennessy Rd.

You *should* be able to get the best price from Sham Shui Po as its huge. Don't look to keen or green, as they are quite expirienced at taking gweilo's for a ride.

Also if at all possible don't go on a weekend and you'll waste your time arriving before 2PM. Later the better really as they are open really late.

Markus

Bought mine in HKG. Haven t had an issue even with blu ray region coding. most titles ive found are region free and the ones that arent you buy from amazon (huge range) and at cheaper prices than Aus anyway. You will also find alot of members on this board with import consoles who also have blu ray region A disks and you cant trade with them on this board.

So really i find the only major issue's are

a) if it breaks in warranty has to go back to country of warranty (i beleive)

B) getting firmeareupdates from the jap website which i find hard to navigate as my Japaneses isnt too good. however im sure once i set my ethernet cable up and not just use my usb to do the firmware upgrades it will just download automatically

c) and yes resale (but why would you resell a blue ray player that plays games!)

Enjoy

Amazon are ok with shipping Region A disc's to oz? Nice.

Would anyone be interested in buying it from me if i dont want it, it will be brand new in the box, if i open it i will keep it.

If people are interested please let me know it will ease my mind if i can offload it, remember it wont be used at all, but will be the Jap version, if i decide to sell.

Sorry for repeating myself but im down to my last dollars when it comes to buying a ps3 over in hong kong.

Cheers

Nocode

i would buy from you if you live in Adelaide. so $650 and with 2 controllers? that's a great deal.

Cheers

Nocode

I will buy it from you if you are in Melb but at that price I think you can easily off load it on Ebay or on this forum.

Guest VISUAL AID

QUOTE(nocode1 @ Sep 14 2007, 11:54 PM)

Sorry for repeating myself but im down to my last dollars when it comes to buying a ps3 over in hong kong.QUOTE(nocode1 @ Sep 14 2007, 11:54 PM)

Does it come with any games.

Exactly the thread I'm looking for.

Planning to buy a PS3 but don't want to get the Aussie

one because of the region and price.

Was thinking of the US one with the 80GB

but since HK also has the 80GB then it's fantastic

From my experience, in HK you have the HK version

(so I don't think it will be Jap) with a warranty from Sony HK

and the 'other' which has no warranty.

Wan Chai was a good place to look around

and another place which I forgot the name.

If you take the MTR from Kowloon, it's a few stops.