Should I Buy A Ps3 From Hong Kong?

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i am in HK now, and actually just bought the new 80GB version. However I am suffering from buyers regret. I researched quite a bit about the region compability and in the end decided that:

a) Seems all games are region free, so no worries

b ) Blue-ray region A, so can play all BD from the US (you can buy them cheaper than Oz. and probably have a better range).

c) DVD region 3 (umm ahh... maybe ignore this since this is cheaper than Oz)

It's © that's giving me second thoughts. Initially I thought I would probably just use it for Blue-ray, and get those shipped from the US. However, I do have a DVD collection that I'm not going to be giving up, and those are mostly Region 4, which means I cannot play them on the PS3. I suppose I could buy a dedicated BD player in Oz later, but not keen to clutter up the living space.

Appreciate any thoughts people have when considering buying an overseas PS3. I know there are people out there who are only interested in buying Region A, so maybe I should offload mine (it's still brand new!)?

Edited by Buzzard

Appreciate any thoughts people have when considering buying an overseas PS3. I know there are people out there who are only interested in buying Region A, so maybe I should offload mine (it's still brand new!)?

I think you would have no problems whatsoever in offloading it here; there'll be no end of people who don't give a rats what DVD region it's set to. I, for example, have a far better standalone dvd player than what's in the PS3, so I can't ever see the region being a problem for me. I imagine I'm not alone in that.

Precisely Thudd.

I actually have a decent range of R3 asian dvds, so an HK (R3/RA) PS3 was fine for me. But the dvd region coding didn't really matter as I already have a standalone upscaling region free dvd player. I'm surprised that more people like yourself Buzzard don't already have a R4 or region free dvd player, considering how cheap they are now. I saw one for under $50 the other day!

What i don't understand is why people are considering buying the 80GB HK PS3 when the 20GB model is cheaper. Unless you need WiFi there's no reason to pay a premium for more HDD space when its so easy to upgrade the PS3 HDD???

Yeah, I have a region free DVD player, but as mentioned I want to try and keep the living space free, so have the one unit (ie Oz spec PS3) that can play all would be ideal. I haven't quite decide what I will do though, because my iniital plan was to have my current DVD play R4 discs and use the PS3 for Blue-ray (buy from US or other Region A). Games of course not an issue. But (ok, I'm a novice here, so go easy) I understand the Blue-ray player on the PS3 would upscale the DVD? I have seen DVD players that can upscale, but how would the picture/audio quality compare to that from a blue-ray player?

Appreciate any thoughts. Cheers.

Yeah, I have a region free DVD player, but as mentioned I want to try and keep the living space free, so have the one unit (ie Oz spec PS3) that can play all would be ideal. I haven't quite decide what I will do though, because my iniital plan was to have my current DVD play R4 discs and use the PS3 for Blue-ray (buy from US or other Region A). Games of course not an issue. But (ok, I'm a novice here, so go easy) I understand the Blue-ray player on the PS3 would upscale the DVD? I have seen DVD players that can upscale, but how would the picture/audio quality compare to that from a blue-ray player?

Appreciate any thoughts. Cheers.

Yep, the PS3 will upscale sd dvds to 720p, 1080i, 1080p but only over HDMI.

The picture and audio quality of an upscaled sd dvd will never match the quality of a well encoded blu-ray disc (blu-ray and hd dvd having 4-6 times the amount of data stored compared to sd dvd). But if your referring to the upscaling quality difference between an upscaling sd dvd player and a blu-ray player, then thats a very difficult question to answer. It all depends on the quality of the upscaling chip used in the player, some are better than others...

Also, upscaling only effects the picture quality, the audio will remain untouched.

Hopefully one day there will be an sd dvd region free patch/hack available for the PS3, until then, i'd find a space for both, so your covered for your sd dvd playback. I wouldn't worry about the upscaling of sd dvds as you'll find its hard to go back to them after watching true HD material.

I am trying to get a price for the PS3 80Gb HK PAL version also!! I wonder if there is a way to email the Golden Computer Centre for a quote and what the shipping charge will be? :rolleyes:

HK PS3 are not PAL version and it is region A for Bluray disc and region 3 for DVD.

HK PS3 are not PAL version and it is region A for Bluray disc and region 3 for DVD.

I have heard from alot of suppliers in Hong Kong that it is a PAL version but as you stated, Region A for Bluray and Region 3 for DVD. Maybe those suppliers that have told me it is PAL were lying to me <_<

What is the effect with PAL ? Can't play Australian PS1/PS2 games ?

The DVD being region 3 is a bit of a shame.

I don't think that there's a lot of R3 titles.

(Most of the HK titles are region free I think)

But region A for Bluray is something that I think I want

considering the US library compared to Australia.

Maybe getting a US PS3 is nicer but then it's 110V. Hmmm

Hi,

I think the US PS3's all have a universal power supply? i.e. 110V-240V which will work in AUS without a transformer.

Can someone confirm this?:)

Thanks,

K.

What is the effect with PAL ? Can't play Australian PS1/PS2 games ?

The DVD being region 3 is a bit of a shame.

I don't think that there's a lot of R3 titles.

(Most of the HK titles are region free I think)

But region A for Bluray is something that I think I want

considering the US library compared to Australia.

Maybe getting a US PS3 is nicer but then it's 110V. Hmmm

I can't find the 20gig one on ebay but only the 80gig.

Can I ask a Noob question. I have been reading this thread, infact i've read it twice, i just dont understand it all.

If I was to buy a cheap PS3 from Honkers. say a 20 gig one.

Just checking that I can play Australian PS3 games on it and Australian/American BLu Ray Discs?

I mainly just want one to play games on.

Hi,

If you get a HK PS3 you can play all games all over the world. But you will not be able to playback AUS Blu Ray Movies. American blu-ray movies will work.

Thats how i understand it anyways :)

Cheers,

Kenn.

Can I ask a Noob question. I have been reading this thread, infact i've read it twice, i just dont understand it all.

Just checking that I can play Australian PS3 games on it and Australian/American BLu Ray Discs?

Hi,

If you get a HK PS3 you can play all games all over the world. But you will not be able to playback AUS Blu Ray Movies. American blu-ray movies will work.

Thats how i understand it anyways :)

Cheers,

Kenn.

I think that's right. PS3 from anywhere can play games from anywhere.

Blu-ray is different though, Australia is region B and Asia (and US) is region A.

DVD is different as well. It follows the current region, eg. HK - R3, Jap - R2, US - R1, Aus - R4.

PS2/PS1 games is also different and follows the current region, eg. PAL, NTSC J, NTSC U/C, etc

I don't know whether HK have the 20GB, They have the 80GB now which retails

the same price as the old 60GB one. If I'm not mistaken, it's around HKD$3780

so divide with the now very strong Aussie currency, you are getting a bargain

at the expense of not being able to play Aus PS2 and Blu-ray.

I don't know whether HK have the 20GB, They have the 80GB now which retails

the same price as the old 60GB one. If I'm not mistaken, it's around HKD$3780

so divide with the now very strong Aussie currency, you are getting a bargain

at the expense of not being able to play Aus PS2 and Blu-ray.

HKD$3780 is the official price at sony store, you get a free game of your choice as well. most of the game stores or electronic stores sell for HKD$2800-3100 just for the 80G console

for HKD$3780 ($550) you get a 80 gig ps3, extra controller + 1 game. what a bargain! well compared to what we have to pay for it in Australia. does anyone in HK want to buy me a ps3? :D

Edited by ntb