Samsung TV Owners & Discussion Thread

Im personally going to get the newly released Denon 3311 with 2 Video Out and 6 HDMI 1.4a in- awesome piece of kit! Might even get it overseas as its half price there :D

Denon 3311 link - http://www.usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/5340.asp

Gester, if you buy it from the US you will end up with the unit that requires a AC 120 V, 60 Hz input. The power input is not switchable on that unit. How do you get around that?

I'm VERY happy to announce that my 63 is being delivered this Friday!!! Could have gotten it tomorrow if I wanted to but unfortunately I won't be home for delivery.

Yippee-kay-ay....WORLD CUP in 63" 3D (for some games) glory!!

I'm in Brisbane by the way.

Hey Kitcho,

where in Bris did you get yours from ??? Still waiting for mine :angry2: Might give HN another call so they can tell me two weeks again

Thanks for the links mate. I've read these threads and now I have a few questions (of course):

1. Does the 63 have a tether point or strap for this purpose?

2. Do straps come with the tv?

3. If I do this, will the tv still be able to 'swivel'?

You should be able to use the wall mounting points to tether the TV, or it might have specific tether points. I'm not sure.

The TV itself won't come with any straps

If you tether it it won't be able to swivel. I suppose you could leave some slack in the tethers so that it could still swivel, but you'd want to make sure that by leaving the slack that you didn't compromise the stability of the TV if it's pulled over.

Gester, if you buy it from the US you will end up with the unit that requires a AC 120 V, 60 Hz input. The power input is not switchable on that unit. How do you get around that?

Most people who buy AVRs from overseas in AU get them from Hong Kong or Singapore.

Lots of info and peoples' experience on this thread: http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=51680

answer Q3: why do you want it to swivel? i feel if you need it to swivel then your room isn't that big. I say Mount it as the viewing angle should be fine and shouldn't need to move it.
For my money wall mounting is the only way to go and easy enough to do if you are at all handy. I have mine on a fully articulated wall mount that allows me to tilt and swivel it any which way I like. Even if you are renting, the one I have only requires 4 screw holes; admittedly dirty great big coach screws but still it wouldn't take too much effort to patch up.

Wall mounting is the safest option, but for some people it's not possible due to reasons like rented accommodation, unsuitable type of wall/coverings, etc.

Hey LittlePIG

There appears to be a potential problem with wall mounting the 63 inch plasma. I

I had a slim line versatile mount for my Sammy 50 inch b860 and it is rated to 70 kg so I thought it should be fine for the 63 - the holes on the 63 all line up and all seems fine but the manual says the 63 inch sets are not compatable with any vest mounts but all other sets are. I wonder if it's an issue with the m8 screw length?? Not surprising the manual recommends the samsung slim mount but according to my mate at HN there are non for this set and oddly the samsung site brings up the slim mount for the b860 58 inch as a link - go figure? I think I might have to make a call to samsung. The sets are not very stable so for moment I would recommend wall tether. What's the point of a slim tv if u can't wall mount it???

Can someone please post up a quote for this tv so it can be used for price matching purposes? Myer near me are happy to price match but will probably not be interested in an online retailer price match scenario.

Where are you located?

Myer will probably want a receipt from a dealer in your area. They didn't ask for one in Adelaide, but it must vary from store to store.

Also are you after the 63", 58" or 50"

Where are you located?

Myer will probably want a receipt from a dealer in your area. They didn't ask for one in Adelaide, but it must vary from store to store.

Also are you after the 63", 58" or 50"

Im after the 63" and I am in melbourne. Myer would only discount it 10% and no further unless I could show a cheaper quote.

Hey guys, was looking at getting the Sony 55 inch HX700, but these Samsung plasmas seem like an awesome deal for the price.

Just wanted to know what the motion was like with 100hz on these TVs. I was in HN the other day and they were telling me for really big screens you really need 200hz. It sounded like an up sell to me.

Also, is burn in a thing of the past with these new plasmas? I'm planning on using my 360 and PS3 on it.

I'm in Sydney, so it sounds like you can pick one up for around the low $3000s quite easily? Anywhere to go in particular?

Sorry for the questions, I guess I'm a bit late to the 55 page thread. :)

Edited by iBoost

Im after the 63" and I am in melbourne. Myer would only discount it 10% and no further unless I could show a cheaper quote.

While you're waiting for others in VIC to post their invoices, you could try ringing a few other Myers and saying that you know that Myer in other cities (e.g. Adelaide) are offering the 63" with 5 years warranty and delivery for $3630. There is no reason they can't match prices from Adelaide.

See what they say on the phone.

Tell them you're prepared to come and buy the TV but only if they can match that price or beat it.

It's a Myer price in a smaller city than Melbourne, and the nearest city to Melbourne (Adelaide) so there's no reason they can't.

See how you go.

Hey LittlePIG

There appears to be a potential problem with wall mounting the 63 inch plasma. I

I had a slim line versatile mount for my Sammy 50 inch b860 and it is rated to 70 kg so I thought it should be fine for the 63 - the holes on the 63 all line up and all seems fine but the manual says the 63 inch sets are not compatable with any vest mounts but all other sets are. I wonder if it's an issue with the m8 screw length?? Not surprising the manual recommends the samsung slim mount but according to my mate at HN there are non for this set and oddly the samsung site brings up the slim mount for the b860 58 inch as a link - go figure? I think I might have to make a call to samsung. The sets are not very stable so for moment I would recommend wall tether. What's the point of a slim tv if u can't wall mount it???

I have the 58" but according to spec sheet on the Samsung AU website the mounting points are the same for the 63" and it (the 63") is slim mount compatible. Personally I wouldn't use the slim mount but that's just me.

Attaching the 58" to my existing wall mount was a bit of a PITA however. I couldn't screw the mounting brackets directly to the TV because there is a screw on the back of the panel that fouled the bracket. Then I couldn't use the standouts that came with the mount with any of the screws provided as they were either too short or too long. A couple of appropriately sized washers in place of the standouts and bingo, Solidly attached mounting brackets.

Edited for clarity.

Edited by littlePiG

You should be able to use the wall mounting points to tether the TV, or it might have specific tether points. I'm not sure.

The TV itself won't come with any straps

If you tether it it won't be able to swivel. I suppose you could leave some slack in the tethers so that it could still swivel, but you'd want to make sure that by leaving the slack that you didn't compromise the stability of the TV if it's pulled over.

Thanks mate. I might try using the wall mount points if the 63 doesn't have any specific tether straps. Now that I think of it I probably don't require the tv too swivel...so this shouldn't matter.

What kind of straps should I purchase? The other threads didn't really say much about this.

I have the 58" but according to spec sheet on the Samsung AU website the mounting points are the same for the 63" and it (the 63") is slim mount compatible. Personally I wouldn't use the slim mount but that's just me.

Attaching the 58" to my existing wall mount was a bit of a PITA however. I couldn't screw the mounting brackets directly to the TV because there is a screw on the back of the panel that fouled the bracket. Then I couldn't use the standouts that came with the mount with any of the screws provided as they were either too short or too long. A couple of appropriately sized washers in place of the standouts and bingo, Solidly attached mounting brackets.

Edited for clarity.

this is the wall mount that i'll be gettting

http://www.samsung.com/au/consumer/detail/...=3d-accessories

called WMN1000C

this is the wall mount that i'll be gettting

http://www.samsung.com/au/consumer/detail/...=3d-accessories

called WMN1000C

I bought that wall mount also.

Cant use it though as i have gyprock over beams and the spacing between the beams does not much to the connections on the tv. Read on a previous page (i think) that someone had the same wall type and they put some kind of extra reinforcement in the wall and used it. Sounds like a lot of work.

So going with a slim wall mount instead. Still need to take back the Samsung for a refund.

Few more answers:

1. Still haven't had a chance to try the laptop on the TV.

2. Confirmed that NTFS USB works perfectly, with mp4 and mkv.

3. No IR that I've seen so far. Been a bit careful with no black bars for longer than 30 mins etc to start off with.

4. Re tether points or straps - Have a look at the manual (available on the sammy website), 8th page from the back for all the tethering info. One quote: "Since the necessary clamps, screws, and string are not supplied, please purchase these additionally."

Why do you want it to swivel? I swivel it if there's only a couple of us in the room and we want to sit in a particular part of the couch. So easy to do, but if it was tethered you're stuck. No kids in our place yet, but I would definetely tether or wall mount if there was.

Looking forward to the bonus Sammy Blu-ray player. Got a good review at Cnet - CNET BD-C6900 Review

Going to use that for my network connectivity (built-in wireless) for Samsung Apps, youtube etc. Only wish that the BD-C6900 could pass-through full multi-channel audio to the TV's digital optical out (it only passes through 2-channel). Just means yet another Toslink cable, which is no good as my reciever is now full :(

For those in Sydney, DJ city store has the 63" on display. They were showing M v A in 3D. The salesman tried to switch to FTA but it wasn't able to pick up any of the channels.

Ahhhh you should have posted this before lunch time :)

Thanks mate. I might try using the wall mount points if the 63 doesn't have any specific tether straps. Now that I think of it I probably don't require the tv too swivel...so this shouldn't matter.

What kind of straps should I purchase? The other threads didn't really say much about this.

I'm not sure. A quick search came up with this place which had a number of straps which could work

http://stores.shop.ebay.com.au/Baby-Safety-For-Less

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-Furniture-Strap...=item5887f550d2

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/TV-Stereo-Equipment...=item1c126e36aa

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-Furniture-Strap...=item5887b7873b

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Heavy-Duty-Steel-Fu...=item1c12cb4847

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/DELUXE-TV-Stereo-Eq...=item5887e032f2

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/No-Holes-FURNITURE-...=item1c12cc2091

You're probably best off creating a new thread asking for where to get the tether/safety straps from in Australia. I'm sure people on the Forum have used them so they'd be able to advise you on how to moor the TV best.

Cant use it though as i have gyprock over beams and the spacing between the beams does not much to the connections on the tv. Read on a previous page (i think) that someone had the same wall type and they put some kind of extra reinforcement in the wall and used it. Sounds like a lot of work.

So going with a slim wall mount instead. Still need to take back the Samsung for a refund.

I would be surprised if the wall mount is not wider than the standard spacing between timber beams.

As long as the mount can cross two beams, you should be able to slide the bracket arms off centre to line up the tv where you want it.

The brackets that mount on the TV dont have to mount on the centre of the wall plate.

Ahhhh you should have posted this before lunch time :)

That's when I went out :)

I also went to Myers but they didn't have any on display.

I was very impressed with the picture quality ... quite stunning (admitted, the source was blu ray) in both 3D and 2D.

What I noticed was that the heat emitting from the set was a none factor even when I had my hand just cms from the screen. When I was at Myers, looking at last years 8 series plasma (58"), I could feel the heat immediately. Also noticed that the energy rating on the 2009 8 series plasma was slightly over 1100kW/year.

hey all,

been following this thread closely. just walked in to Joyce Mayne, Bennetts Green (Newcastle NSW). Told them about the $3630 quote for TV 5yrs EW and delivery. They matched it straight away. Paid deposit, just got to wait for the TV now. Cmon

Looking forward to the bonus Sammy Blu-ray player. Got a good review at Cnet - CNET BD-C6900 Review

Going to use that for my network connectivity (built-in wireless) for Samsung Apps, youtube etc. Only wish that the BD-C6900 could pass-through full multi-channel audio to the TV's digital optical out (it only passes through 2-channel). Just means yet another Toslink cable, which is no good as my reciever is now full :(

Thanks for the link. Nice to see it's a decent piece of kit. :)

We don't have a BD player yet, so it's good to know that this will do everything we want.

On another note I was just reading the full T&Cs on the promo page http://www.samsung.com/au/promotions/tv-av...conditions.html and I realised that the 2 sets of glasses that you get with the 3D BD player are rechargable. I had assumed that they were battery operated ones.

Good to know that we won't have to keep buying batteries for these.

What I noticed was that the heat emitting from the set was a none factor even when I had my hand just cms from the screen. When I was at Myers, looking at last years 8 series plasma (58"), I could feel the heat immediately. Also noticed that the energy rating on the 2009 8 series plasma was slightly over 1100kW/year.

That's good to know.

I saw last year's 58" 8 series plasma at Myer over the weekend and it was noticably radiating heat when you were in front of it. It's good to know that the 2010 models don't do this.

yeah i know. i'm a bit of a handyman so it should be fine for me.

why don't u just put a plywood square at the back? prob still bit thiner then a normal mount?

I went into Myer City store today and asked about this TV and the best price he'd give me was around $3850. That's pretty crap I thought after seeing prices people are getting on here. Admittedly it was their stock take sale and they had about 200 people in the TV section so maybe he wasn't in the best mood to give a good price.

Anyone got a good price from Myer or another store in Sydney?