Samsung TV Owners & Discussion Thread

So you returned a TV based on how the Wii looked on it even though you were aware it would look questionable? Wii is a 480P signal which is being upscaled by the TV to fit the resolution of the screen. I havent seen a Wii game that looks 'normal' on anything but a CRT television.

The clouding issue obviously is grounds for swapping it over, but dont complain to them about something that is NEVER going to change no matter how many panels you go through. 360 looks better on VGA than component? Im pretty sure thats a given mate..

Probably a good idea to wait before putting this new one on the wall.

No the Wii was the final straw. I didnt expect it to look as good as an xbox 360. But going from a 10 year old tv with composite cables to component i would have expected it to look just as good. I didnt expect it to have jaggies ALL over the picture and for writing to be almost unreadable. If the pic was the same for wii as the old TV then I would be very happy. Interesting your comment on Wii on anything but a CRT.

The clouding, well that was a pian even when i turned the backlight WAYYYYY down. The fact that my mrs noticed it said it was not me being picky. I was happy to kep it and suck it up expcet the worst corner (the one that comes out in the pic) was so frigging bad and come out in everthing.

As for 360 over component vs VGA i would have thought that I would have so many jaggies again on it. I agree the next one is staying on the stand for a few days of testing.

Do people use LCD 1080 to watch FTA such as news/shows/documentries or for ather things?

If ather things , then what are they! suppose sports....

I been reading a while thru the threats.. Looks like LCD 1080 is always a problem viewing. Why buy LCD for when plasmas are to qarranty you best :)

Linda

No the Wii was the final straw. I didnt expect it to look as good as an xbox 360. But going from a 10 year old tv with composite cables to component i would have expected it to look just as good. I didnt expect it to have jaggies ALL over the picture and for writing to be almost unreadable. If the pic was the same for wii as the old TV then I would be very happy. Interesting your comment on Wii on anything but a CRT.

The clouding, well that was a pian even when i turned the backlight WAYYYYY down. The fact that my mrs noticed it said it was not me being picky. I was happy to kep it and suck it up expcet the worst corner (the one that comes out in the pic) was so frigging bad and come out in everthing.

As for 360 over component vs VGA i would have thought that I would have so many jaggies again on it. I agree the next one is staying on the stand for a few days of testing.

The Wii only does 480p because more people own SDTVs than HDTVs, according to nintendos marketing data. The scaler in the TV is alright but its not going to be good enough to make 480p look crisp on a 46 inch screen that is over double the resolution of the output signal from the console.

Wii looks good on your old TV because its running at the resolution of the TV. CRTs dont have a fixed pixel count either- it can go up or down (ala a computer monitors resolution) however TVs are a bit more restricted than PC monitors in that respect.

My friend had his Wii on a 50 inch Bravia LCD and it was jaggy as hell, and the sonys have a better scaler than the sammys. Youre not going to get a crisp picture from a Wii on anything but a HDTV CRT, or SDTV LCD.

VGA is a similar signal to component, just a different connector. its picture quality will be better than component though.

The Wii only does 480p because more people own SDTVs than HDTVs, according to nintendos marketing data. The scaler in the TV is alright but its not going to be good enough to make 480p look crisp on a 46 inch screen that is over double the resolution of the output signal from the console.

Wii looks good on your old TV because its running at the resolution of the TV. CRTs dont have a fixed pixel count either- it can go up or down (ala a computer monitors resolution) however TVs are a bit more restricted than PC monitors in that respect.

My friend had his Wii on a 50 inch Bravia LCD and it was jaggy as hell, and the sonys have a better scaler than the sammys. Youre not going to get a crisp picture from a Wii on anything but a HDTV CRT, or SDTV LCD.

VGA is a similar signal to component, just a different connector. its picture quality will be better than component though.

Well then lucky i still have my KVHR 32 to do some HD CRT goodness. Time for the wii to move rooms.

The 46M81 will do it, heres proof, my 46M81:

http://img454.imageshack.us/img454/608/avspecsge8.jpg

However, I don't think a firmware update will enable it, more over an update to the HDMI ports & EDID chip according to a couple of the discussions at AVSforums.

Good luck.

Im a bit confused... you're saying your set does 1080p/24fps, so does that mean you have the HDMI port and EDID chip update? I guess you're basically saying some 46M81 will, some wont, depending on where/when they were made (ie what HDMI ports and EDID chip they got)? Can you post your manufacture location/date details, and firmware version?

Got a link to AVS forum discussion on this?

I was wondering how did anyone get Samsung to fix the Xbox 360 VGA problem. The guy I just spoke to on the 1300 362 603 number was very unhelpful. He was saying because I wasn't connecting a PC to the VGA port it wasn't covered under warranty. He wouldn't even look up "07-LCD TV-A003" for me & seemed very shocked that I even knew the code. Any advice that can help me sort out this issue would be appreciated.

A console is effectively a PC. Motherboard, CPU, GPU, hard-drive. Just a different o/s.

I have read that running the VGA input through a d-link KVM switch will solve your problem in some cases.

OK. So when it arrives today, what are some things I should test, to make sure it's all functioning as it should? Is there perhaps another topic on this? Ie. "How to test that your plasma is working as it should" or something?

Also, any tips on how to care for it?

I plan to play xbox 360 on it, but I will be careful to not play more than an hour, I will avoid watching standard def with the black bars on the sides, I'll avoid pausing anything, especially for more than a minute or 2, and will turn the contrast down to 50%.

Im a bit confused... you're saying your set does 1080p/24fps, so does that mean you have the HDMI port and EDID chip update? I guess you're basically saying some 46M81 will, some wont, depending on where/when they were made (ie what HDMI ports and EDID chip they got)? Can you post your manufacture location/date details, and firmware version?

Got a link to AVS forum discussion on this?

A few threads exist about this over at AVforums....

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=533777

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread....amp;postcount=1

I have a Malaysian built set

Sticker on the side shows:

LA46M81BDX/XSA

SQ02

Service menu details show:

T-TLPMPAUD-1004

T-BDPMPEUS-1003

BORD2_CALLA_TR-1004_0328

MAR 26 2007

17:56:41

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

i regards to the 360 display problem, does it just not display right?

i got the 40" model and this is exactly what happened:

plugged in 360 using vga, didn't work. says no signal from memory.

so i unplugged the vga from the TV then plugged the 360 into my monitor, which would display the signal, then i changed the display res to 1024x768.

unplugged the vga from the computer monitor and back into the TV, worked and changed it straight to 1920x1080.

all done and works perfect.

Well depend on where you model is made.

Often, with the china built models if you set the xbox360 to 1920x1080 it will display for about 5 seconds and the screen with will say no signal. But if you ran it thru a KVM switch it gives the vga just that extra little bit of voltage and it works just fine.

The problem doesnt seems to exist on the malaysian built models.

Im sure they would rather deal with someone at the dept of fair trading who has half a clue what they are talking about over someone such as yourself who seems to think they can drop names like ACCC or DOFT and get anything they want from a vendor.

I worked for Hewlett Packard customer service for over a year, believe me when I say it gets you nowhere acting like a smartarse. Be polite and mature and youll get what you want much faster.

There is a known problem with the unit. Apparently not everyone at Samsung knows about it. try going directly to your local samsung repairer as they seem quite cluey to the issue, as evidenced in this thread by other posts.

Well your first sentence makes no sense, though I imagine you're too 'outraged' to even comprehend this. Samsung support have been universally panned as being unhelpful dickheads, feel free defending them.

If I want information, and I'm not getting it, I'll be ****ed if I'm going to let some idiot CS droid dick me around.

You realise what a knowledgebase is, it's this amazing thing on a COMPUTER that allows EVERYONE to know if they bother to look up the problem, perhaps you weren't quite ready to be introduced to it in your illustrious 1 year career at HP.

Just a recap on the price again. Went to Wow store and the price there for the ps50q91 was quoted: 3,275.00

and the PS50C91 less features was quoted: 2,999.00

Then i went to retravision store and was quoted that the ps50q91 ia: 2,820 with 2 year warranty and extra 3 years is 539.00 plus he said that u have 1 month to buy 3 year warranty for your plasma you brought. Thats handy 1 month give plenty to save and buy extra warranty. Wow store was nothing like that.

Interesting i would stick with retravision see the different compareing price? Very different indeed. and they say wow store is the discount store :) im loughing for it. I said what price could you do for me at wow store and he said nope there is the slash price that it was 3,800 and here shows the current price of 3,275

Looks like retravision are far too good and good price, Surely i wouldnt be spending more money els where when retravision offers the lowest price posible garranty. Suppose most emplyees out there dosnt no much about screens there for they are clueless on the price they putting on.

Linda

A console is effectively a PC. Motherboard, CPU, GPU, hard-drive. Just a different o/s.

I have read that running the VGA input through a d-link KVM switch will solve your problem in some cases.

Thanks for the support that a console is a glorified PC. Maybe if Sony released a VGA cable for the PS3 I could run Linux on it & see if Samsung would classify it as a PC or a console. <_<

I have borrowed a VGA splitter before to see if that would fix the problem. It did. But why should I have to spend $80 to fix something that should work out of the box?

I did have some luck with a service centre though. But I would have to take the TV to them with proof of purchase to get them to fix it under warranty. But I didn't get the feeling from them that they had heard of the problem themselves. So just not sure how long I would be without my set. Also the transport of the TV bcomes an issue for me. Main reason why I had it home delivered. My other option would be to lie to Samsung about it being connected to a PC. :unsure:

I was wondering how did anyone get Samsung to fix the Xbox 360 VGA problem. The guy I just spoke to on the 1300 362 603 number was very unhelpful. He was saying because I wasn't connecting a PC to the VGA port it wasn't covered under warranty. He wouldn't even look up "07-LCD TV-A003" for me & seemed very shocked that I even knew the code. Any advice that can help me sort out this issue would be appreciated.

This particular issue has already been mentioned earlier in this thread. And an excellent extensive answer was provided by CharlieB from New Zealand in the post referenced here:

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?s=&...st&p=718226

Maybe you need to refer Samsung's service people to this post if they aren't already aware of the solution.

Yeah another question.

Can anyone share any tips for setting up/ configuring the PS50Q91HDX? I've finally got it up and running (had to get someone to come over and help me lift it onto the Tv cabinet!!)

Anyway, I've tuned in the stations, and reduced the contrast to only 50. and that Pixel shift thing is enabled also. Set a 2x2 each 2 minutes.

I guess what I'm after is some hints on how to get it looking it's best. I.e. turn off this feature, or turn this one on, or set this valued to something between x and y type of thing.

Comments and suggestions would be most appreciated. I've moved up from an 80 cm CRT, and I'm a bit of a plasma newbie.

A few threads exist about this over at AVforums....

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=533777

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread....amp;postcount=1

I have a Malaysian built set

Sticker on the side shows:

LA46M81BDX/XSA

SQ02

Service menu details show:

T-TLPMPAUD-1004

T-BDPMPEUS-1003

BORD2_CALLA_TR-1004_0328

MAR 26 2007

17:56:41

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

okay im a pseudo-noob at this tv thing so ill just see if im getting this right. the links u posted there stated that the 1013 firmware enabled certain m8 panels (the newer ones) to play 1080p/24. now how exactly do u tell how old/when ur tv was manufactered? im a little concerned now coz it seems mine was shipped with the 1001 (?) firmware so am i right in guessing that i have a tv from an older batch that doesnt have this updated EDID and firmware needed for 1080/24?

thanks for the help, really appreciate it

This particular issue has already been mentioned earlier in this thread. And an excellent extensive answer was provided by CharlieB from New Zealand in the post referenced here:

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?s=&...st&p=718226

Maybe you need to refer Samsung's service people to this post if they aren't already aware of the solution.

That is an excellent post about the problem & was the 1 that made me finally call Samsung. As I previuosly said the guy I spoke to wouldn't even look up the code in the post. How would I get them to read a forum if they won't even read their own intranet?

Yeah another question.

Can anyone share any tips for setting up/ configuring the PS50Q91HDX? I've finally got it up and running (had to get someone to come over and help me lift it onto the Tv cabinet!!)

Anyway, I've tuned in the stations, and reduced the contrast to only 50. and that Pixel shift thing is enabled also. Set a 2x2 each 2 minutes.

I guess what I'm after is some hints on how to get it looking it's best. I.e. turn off this feature, or turn this one on, or set this valued to something between x and y type of thing.

Comments and suggestions would be most appreciated. I've moved up from an 80 cm CRT, and I'm a bit of a plasma newbie.

Search posts by rmack. I'm happy with the settings he suggested, but then, as he said, it's each to his own. It's a starting point, anyway.

...How would I get them to read a forum if they won't even read their own intranet?

Good point!

Maybe if you ask to speak to someone in charge -such as the service manager, and point out that the solution is common knowlege and well understood, even by people who not associated with Samsung!

Hopefully that may spur them into action...

PS: Also point out (or remind them) that there shouldn't be any need for the set to be taken away, since the task of removing or changing a resistor should be able to be done by a competent tech on site.

okay im a pseudo-noob at this tv thing so ill just see if im getting this right. the links u posted there stated that the 1013 firmware enabled certain m8 panels (the newer ones) to play 1080p/24. now how exactly do u tell how old/when ur tv was manufactered? im a little concerned now coz it seems mine was shipped with the 1001 (?) firmware so am i right in guessing that i have a tv from an older batch that doesnt have this updated EDID and firmware needed for 1080/24?

thanks for the help, really appreciate it

I took the posts on AVS forum to mean a slightly different thing. Newer model tvs (which came pre-installed with their 1013 firmware version) are capable of 24fps but older sets that shipped with earlier firmwares which were flashed to 1013 still did not work. Thus it is more an issue of manufacture date - newer sets having the updated EDID chip or whatever is required for the tv to tell devices like a PS3 that it suppotrs 24Hz, also ship with a newer firmware, but the firmware itself doesnt appear to enable earlier sets to send the extra information in their EDID signal (given they say the EDID chip is read only this would make sense). This is all what i gleamed from those posts so i could be wrong.

Is there an easy way to interogate what EDID info your set is providing? If there is an application to do this, then perhaps all the M81 owners in this thread with a PC hooked up can run it and post their manufacture date details and the EDID info. If it is possible to get the EDID info then you wouldnt even need a PS3 to see whether your set can do it or not.

Good point!

Maybe if you ask to speak to someone in charge -such as the service manager, and point out that the solution is common knowlege and well understood, even by people who not associated with Samsung!

Hopefully that may spur them into action...

PS: Also point out (or remind them) that there shouldn't be any need for the set to be taken away, since the task of removing or changing a resistor should be able to be done by a competent tech on site.

Yeah... Nlorinshel, perhaps you can read that forum post to them over the phone to try and explain it (its quite well worded, doesnt leave much room for argument), or better yet is there an email support address? Maybe you can tee it all up via email and provide a link to the post etc. It certainly sux that even when you KNOW the fix is available, and can tell them the damn intranet bulletin number, you get idiot phone peons who want to stuff you around

I took the posts on AVS forum to mean a slightly different thing. Newer model tvs (which came pre-installed with their 1013 firmware version) are capable of 24fps but older sets that shipped with earlier firmwares which were flashed to 1013 still did not work. Thus it is more an issue of manufacture date - newer sets having the updated EDID chip or whatever is required for the tv to tell devices like a PS3 that it suppotrs 24Hz, also ship with a newer firmware, but the firmware itself doesnt appear to enable earlier sets to send the extra information in their EDID signal (given they say the EDID chip is read only this would make sense). This is all what i gleamed from those posts so i could be wrong.

Is there an easy way to interogate what EDID info your set is providing? If there is an application to do this, then perhaps all the M81 owners in this thread with a PC hooked up can run it and post their manufacture date details and the EDID info. If it is possible to get the EDID info then you wouldnt even need a PS3 to see whether your set can do it or not.

Yeah... Nlorinshel, perhaps you can read that forum post to them over the phone to try and explain it (its quite well worded, doesnt leave much room for argument), or better yet is there an email support address? Maybe you can tee it all up via email and provide a link to the post etc. It certainly sux that even when you KNOW the fix is available, and can tell them the damn intranet bulletin number, you get idiot phone peons who want to stuff you around

yep i getcha scarecrow. i suppose the question that really needs to be answered is how to find out when a tv was manufactered..coz i really have no idea and cant find out how to do it anywhere. and does anyone know what approx date the EDID chips were updated?

I have the potential to get a new set delivered due to delays in getting the "Movie Plus Bug" fixed up. I was hoping to get a bonus upgrade with the 24fps feature as well. I assume I had the older version since the firmware reported v1001.

Does anyone know if the updated board also fixes the mysterious Movie Plus mode re-activating?

I have the potential to get a new set delivered due to delays in getting the "Movie Plus Bug" fixed up. I was hoping to get a bonus upgrade with the 24fps feature as well. I assume I had the older version since the firmware reported v1001.

Does anyone know if the updated board also fixes the mysterious Movie Plus mode re-activating?

we need an insider from samsung who can look these things up!