New R Series Samsung LCD TV range

Strongly disagree. M61 has AWFUL picture quality. Couldnt even produce skin tones properly.

I saw them side by side at the Home Show in Sydney. They told me they had the same setting and when you stand back and have a real good look you can see the colour on the M61 look alot natural. They had the plasma's in the same room and they look really bad compared to the LCD's.

answer me this question? the new R71 Vs the Bravia. Which one wins?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Basejump, just found out my unit will only be here in another week or sooooooo, the joys of ordering 1 off but at a fantastic price. We are not called WA (Wait Awhile) for nothing. I hope one of the other 32"r71 owners will get the dim's for you.

Hi basejump... my little one and I went for an outing this morning so I took my tape with me, Retravision had no stock but gave me Samsung 1300369600 no and said to be persistant, HN had in stock and measured as follows. From top of display the first hole is about 100mm down, the hole pitch is 200mm square, so if anyone can confirm that go for it... it takes 1 min to do. While in HN the sales rep that I was working with says hi Kev, this is the latest model... I said I know I have bought one....... 1st question "from where?" Betta electrical.... I said do you know why? ... they sold it to me for $2020. I told him that I gave them 3 oppertunities to match that price... he said who did you talk to.... and so on... while leaving there was a flurry of words with one of the othe reps and when i stopped to look at some bears on a display( my girl loves them at the moment) both sales people moved away.... mmm pitty they did not price match I could be watching my new TV now, and not waiting for another week.... I sapose I'm not your average gullible purchaser.... he said that they were selling 8 per week and that the prices had in fact come down not up...??? Oh the bull^%$&^$it.... WHO Knows????? I still say pay what you think is a fair price.

Finally got to see this TV at lunch today in Myer Perth. Was dissapointed with the tv, but I think this is due to the ordinary setup. They had an LG demo loop playing on it, this had wavy lines on the tv (through component) and was a bit grainy. The salesman told me that its only the samsung it was doing it on.

Anyways, I got him to tune in digital tv, it looked ok, but the picture was pretty grainy and blocky. We looked at the Ch 7 digital loop and some of the other digital channels. I'm sure the setup had something to do with this as surely the tv is better than this.

I loved the look of the tv other than that, the salesman would only go to $3500, mind you I didnt push.

Guest belecta
$2100 for 32' at HN greensborough, melb...good enuf 4 me

I just picked up the new 40 inch R71 for $3,290 at JB's Elizabeth St in Melbourne - ask for Danny.

Can anyone give me a quick run down on the best setup that i should have b/w the tv and my foxtel iq, dvd player and surround sound. Is a scart the go??? Also whats the best way to hook up my mac G4 laptop?

Thanks, would appreciate the help as I am a bit of a novice when it comes to setting up this sort of gear!!!!

Hi Belecta, I spoke to Danny at lunchtime today, was told they had sold over twenty 40 inch R71s in just a few days, the fastest selling screen ever, "best" price I was offered was $3,388, did you buy something else with it or should I just improve my negotiating skills?

Guest brock1503560357

Not to put anyone off, 'cause I'm after one of these myself, but I was told today by a retailer that their batch of 32inches were sent back to samsung because the "built in hdtv pq looked like analogue quality". Just something to be mindful of when you get it home. This came from a friendly chap at myer in perth. They did have the 26 and 37 on display.

Thanks Brock.... My 32" is still on the way from (East)?????? via Betta electrical. Hope the bad batch will bypass Bunbury next week. I assume the HD quality was what Tony Montana was saying above. As I have no idea what to look for I 'll have to post some questions when I get it, We only have SD in Bunbury and only ABC and SBS, I assume perhaps the screen should look like DVD clarity???

Guest belecta
Hi Belecta, I spoke to Danny at lunchtime today, was told they had sold over twenty 40 inch R71s in just a few days, the fastest selling screen ever, "best" price I was offered was $3,388, did you buy something else with it or should I just improve my negotiating skills?

Yeh i just said that the good guys out at Brighton can do it for $3,260. He wasnt overly impressed as he reckons they were not making any cash off it.......thems the breaks though i suppose. I bought it off him rather than the Good Guys who were $30 cheaper purely because i had picked his brain a fair bit!!!!

Any tips on the best setup for my Foxtel Iq to Tv setup - Scart?????

We picked up the Samsung 40" LA40R71BD at Myer Sydney City a few days ago for $3100 including delivery, if anyone's interested. I didn't expect them to give it to us for that price given the ticketed price was $3999 but the assistant went down to $3200 instantly, and I'm not one for haggling. They were selling fast there too. Delivery is supposedly Monday.

We didn't buy anything else with it but we did spend a good 1 hour just tossing up between the Samsung LCD and an LG plasma which was $1000 less than the samsung's "ticketed" price. Hope this helps.

answer me this question? the new R71 Vs the Bravia. Which one wins?

Samsung !! since I have one now. and Bravia is 1k more. Because Both comes with (unfortunately) one HDMI slot, Samsung gets the thumb up, because it has inbuilt tuner which means the HDMI input can be used for other media.

Not to put anyone off, 'cause I'm after one of these myself, but I was told today by a retailer that their batch of 32inches were sent back to samsung because the "built in hdtv pq looked like analogue quality". Just something to be mindful of when you get it home. This came from a friendly chap at myer in perth. They did have the 26 and 37 on display.

When I saw it the first time, I wonder too. The 40in on display had fuzzy, grainy, boxy images...I believe it was the way they set it up, because I dont get those quality at home with mine at all. On the display there were 26in, 32in, 40in and only the 40in had the bad quality. Not sure but it could be the way they set it up initially.....

Can someone give me some direction as to where (can I buy the wallmount kit) and how can I mount a 40in to a wall ?? and approx price too ? thanks

Cheers

I bought the 32" from HN -Chadstone. Was supposed to come in today but has been put back to next Wednesday. Would of like to watch the world cup final on it but oh well...

They apparently have none available at any of the stores in Melbourne.

Samsung !! since I have one now. and Bravia is 1k more. Because Both comes with (unfortunately) one HDMI slot, Samsung gets the thumb up, because it has inbuilt tuner which means the HDMI input can be used for other media.

When I saw it the first time, I wonder too. The 40in on display had fuzzy, grainy, boxy images...I believe it was the way they set it up, because I dont get those quality at home with mine at all. On the display there were 26in, 32in, 40in and only the 40in had the bad quality. Not sure but it could be the way they set it up initially.....

Can someone give me some direction as to where (can I buy the wallmount kit) and how can I mount a 40in to a wall ?? and approx price too ? thanks

Cheers

Hi

Samsung don't make brackets for there lcd's. Go for a third party bracket. Vogels would be my suggestion. Over $200 i think.

Thanks Brock.... My 32" is still on the way from (East)?????? via Betta electrical. Hope the bad batch will bypass Bunbury next week. I assume the HD quality was what Tony Montana was saying above. As I have no idea what to look for I 'll have to post some questions when I get it, We only have SD in Bunbury and only ABC and SBS, I assume perhaps the screen should look like DVD clarity???

Yeh I hope the quality is better than presented yesterday. I'll have to head out to another store to see if they can hook it up and show its true capabilities. I really want this tv to be good as it will hopefully save me a few dollars over buying a bravia (which I still may get) and buy me some time before I have to purchase a recorder with hd tuners built in. (hoping better ones arrive soon)

Hi

Samsung don't make brackets for there lcd's. Go for a third party bracket. Vogels would be my suggestion. Over $200 i think.

I did saw some Vogels but I havent actually seen one that holds 40in unit though !! Most of them I saw holds 32in or 26in units. :blink:

Ideally I'm after one that holds 40in and with pivots point, just so I can move it 180deg (left to right) !!

Cheers

Thomas

go to the vogel website and enter the samsung model number (subsitute the "A" in the model number for an "E" - they have a stack of options -also do a google search for Canohm - they stock Vogels and other options - give them a ring if u get stuck - they will be able to put u in touch with a local stockest and give u an idea on RRP - highly recommended

I was about to buy an older model Samsung 32" LCD for $1495 when I was shown this model (la32r71bd) at HN Bris. City. After reading all the posts my only remaining newbie question is this:

If I had a DVD HD recorder, how would it integrate with this TV and an A/V receiver? From the perspective of recording to HD. Where would the input signal to the DVD recorder come from, given the aerial already goes to the TV?

would not take much knowledge of anyone from 'myer'. maybe they didnt know how to change from analogue to digital on the tv :blink:

I was about to buy an older model Samsung 32" LCD for $1495 when I was shown this model (la32r71bd) at HN Bris. City. After reading all the posts my only remaining newbie question is this:

If I had a DVD HD recorder, how would it integrate with this TV and an A/V receiver? From the perspective of recording to HD. Where would the input signal to the DVD recorder come from, given the aerial already goes to the TV?

If the TV does have a video out (and im not sure if it does) it will be a composite at best. If your looking to record TV to DVD you may want to look elsewhere.

Finally got to see this TV at lunch today in Myer Perth. Was dissapointed with the tv, but I think this is due to the ordinary setup. They had an LG demo loop playing on it, this had wavy lines on the tv (through component) and was a bit grainy. The salesman told me that its only the samsung it was doing it on.

Tony, I looked at a lot of 32" Lcds at various stores and found a huge difference in their setups. Myer chermside had a hopeless LCD setup where all the pictures looked bad compared to the plasmas. I felt I would never buy an LCD as a result. Looked at JB at Indooroopilly and found a huge difference, as most pictures were clear and not pixellated. Asked what they ran them on and was told an LG HD box but everything (LCD/plasma) were running on same setup (component) so a true picture comparison could be made. I reckon this is the only way a truely informed decision can be made.

I chose the sammy 32 R series and have found the internal box to be fantastic. I have set it up to a suggestion in this thread at www.bob.com to reduce the contrast levels in case I burn it out. I dont really know if this is an issue but I dont want the risk.

Anyway just try and find a store that has a good setup with a true like for like comparison and not one where the shop has unfair comparisons. I asked JB to show me the sammy picture using the internal box while comparing it to all the other LCDs near it. I also asked just to watch a normal HD tv channel and not the CH7 loop. Easier to compare I reckon. It still looked fantastic so I was sold. In fact my partner said she would never want a LCD because of the pixellated picture but changed her mind once I took her to a store with a good setup.

Hope this helps

Cheers

I did saw some Vogels but I havent actually seen one that holds 40in unit though !! Most of them I saw holds 32in or 26in units. :blink:

Ideally I'm after one that holds 40in and with pivots point, just so I can move it 180deg (left to right) !!

Cheers

Thomas

Vogel's have recently released a new range of LCD brckets for all sizes. They have fixed, tilt and swinging ones. All the major retailers carry vogels and if they don't carry the particular bracket you want they will order it for you