New R Series Samsung LCD TV range

Guest Moooki

If someone manages to get the 40" for 3200, could they please send me a PM.

Am really hoping to get one at that price - though obviouly the lower the better :blink:

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool thanks for the reply man.

That's an awesome price. Are HN willing to price match online stores? Did you mention the online bit or just mentioned the price?

Yeah i mentioned that it was an online price. He mumbled something about maybe it didnt include GST. I said highly unlikely to include delivery but not GST. Then he said quite fine mate lets write her up. I was done in 2 minutes. Go in knowing what you want. Easy sale for them.

Bockers

Xluke, You mentioned adding a few codes to the remote and you could use it for other devices. Does it allow for other older model brands. LG dule DVD & VCR & Sony sound system??? or is that on a universal remote? I've looked at the downloaded manual and can't seem to see anything regarding using it to control other devices. Might have missed somthing??

AHhhh dopy found it on page 20 'Selecting the source" Sorry......

G'Day,

Was the issue of the inbuilt tuner not outputting sound on certain channels via the optical out resolved? I recall there being conflicting views on this. Can an owner please confirm. Also does this model have the same features as the M series, i.e. SRS TruSurround XT, DNIe, My Colour Control, and the brightness sensor. Is the omission of these features possibly why it is the same price, if not cheaper than the M series even though it has the inbuilt tuner, or does it actually have these features and they just aren't listed? Samsung say it is the same panel, then why the difference in the colour measurement, i.e. 6.4 compares to 12.8... gimmick or real difference? I remember someone posted that side by side they looked the same, can anyone else confirm this? Also is the inbuilt tuner, and the pic from the inbuilt tuner reasonable, or would a seperate STB (possibly HDMI PVR) be better still with this screen. My Mother is about to spend 4.5K today on a Sony Bravia, so I mentioned the M series which DSE still seem to have, but wondered about this "new" R series when a new one is due out in Oct. according to Samsung. Just a quick fix to compete with LG's inbuilt tuner model??? All responses greatly appreciated.

Cheers all,

JSmith :ph34r:

P.S. Oh just one more Q, since this screen isn't HDCP enabled, is this an issue running a Sony HD STB with HDMI, as it is HDCP enabled. Someone mentioned both the M and R series would drop a DVD player that was HDCP enabled back to 480p... is this the an issue as well for a HDCP enabled STB?

P.S. Oh just one more Q, since this screen isn't HDCP enabled, is this an issue running a Sony HD STB with HDMI, as it is HDCP enabled. Someone mentioned both the M and R series would drop a DVD player that was HDCP enabled back to 480p... is this the an issue as well for a HDCP enabled STB?

Where did you get the info that this panel doesn't support HDCP? It has HDMI, so it is highly unlikely (impossible even?) that it's not HDCP compliant.

Where did you get the info that this panel doesn't support HDCP? It has HDMI, so it is highly unlikely (impossible even?) that it's not HDCP compliant.

It was in a previous post about the M series, thought it may well be relevant to this model. Howver I have seen on the samsung website in the manual that it does support HDCP so my bad... can you answer any of my queries though please?

Cheers,

G'Day,

Was the issue of the inbuilt tuner not outputting sound on certain channels via the optical out resolved? I recall there being conflicting views on this. Can an owner please confirm. Also does this model have the same features as the M series, i.e. SRS TruSurround XT, DNIe, My Colour Control, and the brightness sensor. Is the omission of these features possibly why it is the same price, if not cheaper than the M series even though it has the inbuilt tuner, or does it actually have these features and they just aren't listed? Samsung say it is the same panel, then why the difference in the colour measurement, i.e. 6.4 compares to 12.8... gimmick or real difference? I remember someone posted that side by side they looked the same, can anyone else confirm this? Also is the inbuilt tuner, and the pic from the inbuilt tuner reasonable, or would a seperate STB (possibly HDMI PVR) be better still with this screen. My Mother is about to spend 4.5K today on a Sony Bravia, so I mentioned the M series which DSE still seem to have, but wondered about this "new" R series when a new one is due out in Oct. according to Samsung. Just a quick fix to compete with LG's inbuilt tuner model??? All responses greatly appreciated.

Cheers all,

It was in a previous post about the M series, thought it may well be relevant to this model. Howver I have seen on the samsung website in the manual that it does support HDCP so my bad... can you answer any of my queries though please?

Cheers,

No, sorry, I can't, although I would also be interested in clarification as to whether the digital out works actually works properly.

If anyone is wondering - the info in the M series thread re HDCP was actually incorrect about those panels, anyway - this was clarified at some point in that thread.

No, sorry, I can't, although I would also be interested in clarification as to whether the digital out works actually works properly.

If anyone is wondering - the info in the M series thread re HDCP was actually incorrect about those panels, anyway - this was clarified at some point in that thread.

According to Xluke in a PM to me the optical output of the internal tuner works fine... I read a while back that it wouldn't output via this connection for certain channels, but this really doesn't make sense. The guy I spoke to at Samsung today (David) said he had not heard of this issue either, but mind you he seemed new... :blink: It would be odd though to have this if it didn't work correctly, but certainly worth querying prior to purchase.

Xluke... thanks was it somthing like the slight flicker one gets with neon lihghts when they are just about to pass their use by date???

No idea, it wasnt so much of a flicker, but the backlights were a bit delayed behind the picture. Then there was a flicker while the picture would readjust. Samsung techs said they hadnt had one like it, so it was probably a lose wire and just a 1 off. Wouldnt worry about it.

Just to add my thoughts on the 32" R7. Purchased from gameon for $1999 delivered to my home (bank transfer Sunday night, delivered to my home at 9am Wednesday). Very impressed with it.

Good reception and the screen seems quite good. I can see what people mean about the issue with blacks and LCDs. In low light the blacks are really dark grey not really noticeable unless there is a lot of black on screen but it seems better than most and not really an issue.

Well thought out remote and a good selection of ports on the back which are neatly laid out and labelled (much better than most) with the thoughtful inclusion of a digital audio output. Connecting my MacBook Pro via an XGA monitor cable (surprisingly hard to find a 3-5m cable). After a brief setup (automatic) the MacBook recognised it was a Samsung screen and the display was very crisp. Selecting "mirroring" changed my MacBook display to 1360*768 despite this not being an option on the LCD resolution. Very crisp picture via iPhoto.

All in all I am very happy and really can't see why the manufacturers are allowed to get away with not including a digital tuner on all LCD screens. Unless you want to spend a lot of money on a screen these Samsung Screens are the way to go.

Thanks Xluke... the above chatter does bring up a few features missing from the R series, that was in the M series, light sensor, wonder how effective that was, also my colour setting perhaps was not so good after all, and was left out of the R series??? or cost cuts ??? get mine any day now.... then I will not mind what is missing... you don't miss anything you do not know of...

Hi,

Back to a previous post - on setting up the remote to function other devices. I'll be &^%& if I can find how to do it in the manual (p20 shows how to move between sources - but not setting the remote). Apologies if it's obvious... (only thing I found was an obscure comment on the back of the remote...).

Ta,

DS

I thought technology prices especially LCDs would be going down, lots of people have been hinting all along that after the world cup, prices would start to drop. This price rise doesn't make much sense, Samsungs competitors; Panasonic, LG, Sony & Sharp etc. will start to look a lot more competitive.

Disappointment,

looks like the 32" Samsung is going up from a best price of $1999 to $2199

Not sure about the 40" model which is the one I've holding out for.

Hi everyone, just letting everyone know that there is still hope to pick up the new 32" sammy for $1999. I purchased mine today for this price using AMEX, with free home delivery, and a Hoytes family movie pass also included in the purchase, which was a plesant surprise and a real hit with the kids. Will come in handy for the school holidays. Anyway, the salesperson, had to check with management, and within 3 minutes the deal was done. Without any haggling delivery was included, and could be delivered this weekend.

So if anyone wants the same, go to Bing Lee Casula (Cross Roads Megacentre), and ask for Lina, who was a pleasure to deal with.

These new Samsung panels are simply the same panels used in the recent Bravias. I have the V series Bravia, and is has very similar specs, including game mode, yet I think the quoted prices are good value. You still cant really find the 40" Bravia V for under $4000, and this new Samsung is the same panel (As most of you will know, Samsung - Sony have the new LCD plant, and these are both the same series.The previous Samsung panel was not the same as used in current Bravias) has a built in HD tuner.

Id go as far to say that the Samsung would look almost Identical to my Bravia, and its picture is amazing. Id buy a Bravia V 40" for $4000 with built in HD tuner, so why not buy this, when it could even be cheaper? Great Screen!

Hi everyone, just letting everyone know that there is still hope to pick up the new 32" sammy for $1999.

Well done on your purchase, just a thought the price could have been stock from prevous intro price and any new stock arriving soon carries the higher price.

Hi,

Back to a previous post - on setting up the remote to function other devices. I'll be &^%& if I can find how to do it in the manual

I will be in that boat as well soon, so anyone who has done it, some point form steps on how to thanks....

G'Day,

Can an owner please confirm. Also does this model have the same features as the M series, i.e. SRS TruSurround XT, DNIe, My Colour Control, and the brightness sensor. Is the omission of these features possibly why it is the same price, if not cheaper than the M series even though it has the inbuilt tuner, or does it actually have these features and they just aren't listed? Samsung say it is the same panel, then why the difference in the colour measurement, i.e. 6.4 compares to 12.8... gimmick or real difference?

Yes there is the SRS TruSurround XT and DNIE. The samsung website doesnt really mentioned it. I did wonder before purchasing...but then when I saw it physically, I notice there were SRS and DNIE on the sticker. If you check out this link http://www.samsung.com/au/r7/ goto the Product and you'll see the SRS and DNIE features... As for My Colour Control and brigthness sensor, I'm not sure how does it compare with the M series...there is a Colour setup on the menu.

hi

i need a favour

can someone who has a 32 inch R7 pls measure something for me - I need the distance from the top of the set to the top mounting holes for the wall bracket screw holes (on the back of the set)

sorry to be a pain but it would help me indeed if someone could get their tape out and post the measurement

I decided to call Samsung again.... This time i spoke to their technical department.....

What they told me today is the absolute opposite to what i was told yesterday......

As Trawler has pointed out the manual shows a digital optical out (I had originally downloaded the manual for the LA40R71B and of course this doens't show an optical out 'cos there ain't one. Once i got the correct manual i could see that there is indeed an optical out.... which prompted me to call Samsung again.....

This time Samsung said "Yes, you can output HDTV audio to an Amp via the optical out" The 42 inch Plasma with the tuner (PS42D7HD) DID have this problem - NO DIGITAL AUDIO OUT. It would seems that it really depends on who you talk to at Samsung as to what you are told.

I also posted yesterday that Samsung had told me the LCD panel in the new model was inferrior to the LA40M61BD... again, John contradicted what i was told yesterday - there IS NO DIFFERENCE in the panels.

Now for some humble pie.........

I apologise if i have misguided anybody, i was just passing on the information i was given by Samsung yesterday.... they must have had a temp on!! If anyone wants to confirm then give Samsung a call on 1300 362 603 just make sure you ask for the Technical Department not the temp unloading pallets out the back!

I'd expect that there will be some smart remarks from Xluke... so go for your life....

Hi

I was told that the colour gamut on the M61 is better than the R71. I have been lucky enough to see them both side by side and I agree that the M61 looks to have the better PQ. The whole audio out issue is because for some unknown reason the samsung PS42D7 plasma has no digital out for the HD tuner. However the LCD does have an optical out and I have also checked that it has an analogue audio out for the AV inputs. I hope that clears it all up

I was told that the colour gamut on the M61 is better than the R71. I have been lucky enough to see them both side by side and I agree that the M61 looks to have the better PQ.

Strongly disagree. M61 has AWFUL picture quality. Couldnt even produce skin tones properly.