Sneek Peek at new VAF Signature Flagship Loudspeaker

I think Simon will work on them again Monday Morning so anytime Saturday should be OK too. 9:30am to 5pm.

I think five or so are comming today, one already who left with a big smile - I'm interpreting that as a good sign.

What a great win-win situation. Adelaide members get a great preview of flagship speakers and Philip gets valuable feedback from people who love their hi-fi. :cool:

Cheers

wolster

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well guys I popped into say hello to Philip this arvo and checked out the next version of the 1-93. I've only heard the current 1-93s on a few limited occasions but I think the folks at VAF have raised the bar to new heights. Probably higher than you expect.

While I feel very limited in my ability to assess and then to describe the sound it needs to be said that these are very impressive speakers indeed (sorry Phil I couldn't fault them so can't help suggest improvements either). There is definitley a wow factor as they present the music more realistically than before and it is as if there is nothing between the listening and the virtual musicians that are projected in front of you. It was a very inviting and friendly place to be, no shouting music, nothing fatiguing but also no veil between me and the music. a direct connection with the music if that makes sense.

Most impressive today was when Philip asked me to get up from the listening chair. Oh it's all over already I first thought but no Philip then said I'll play that same piece again and see how it compares . Well what do you know, the imaging was still there almost as good as when positioned in the hot seat. For those that recall the last visit we all made to VAFs, well I listened to some of the same tracks from the very well produced CD and Philip said again close your eyes and point at few instruments...I did and yep they were well outside the span of the speakers, one off to the left of the left speaker and I could have sworn I heard some sound coming from way up to my right (I glanced to check for a speaker but nothing but wall and architrave to be seen).

If anything negative is to be said is that these guys are going to cost a bit more and some of us (hello Bruce) are going to feel complelled to upgrade!

Signing off now feeling very privildged and grateful for the chance to experience these works in progress. Thanks Philip.

Rod.

Hi Phillip, I was trying to make it today but work got the better of me...........funny, can't have one without the other!:cool:

Going by your last post they'll still be set up tomorrow morning so I'll make an effort to get there.

What are you doing Grumpy......want to join me?:D

Cheers,

Keith

Hi Phillip, I was trying to make it today but work got the better of me...........funny, can't have one without the other!:P

Going by your last post they'll still be set up tomorrow morning so I'll make an effort to get there.

What are you doing Grumpy......want to join me?:P

Cheers,

Keith

Thanks for the kind offer Keith, but i can't make this one .

Hey Great write up Rod and I'm looking forward to reading more tomorrow from others.

Great report 4hecks. Thanks. Looking forward to seeing these new speakers.

What's the go over in SA, you buggers pinch mondie and Cheeky from us, now you guys are going crazy with audio events happening all the time! Nealy enough to make a Victorian jealous - not quite, but bloody nearly!

Congrats Philip. Thanks again for being part of SNA.

Visited today. They're good. Marked improvement over the old ones. Philip wasn't joking, they're isn't that much of a difference sitting or standing... Probably a good 90% of what you get sitting down. Especially in the highs, they completely retain their place and soundstage.

Velvetly smooth midrange rich with detail. Super clean bass.

Have to return with some complicated heavy stuff.

Thanks Philip for spending time with us today.

Visited today. They're good. Marked improvement over the old ones. Philip wasn't joking, they're isn't that much of a difference sitting or standing... Probably a good 90% of what you get sitting down. Especially in the highs, they completely retain their place and soundstage.

Velvetly smooth midrange rich with detail. Super clean bass.

Have to return with some complicated heavy stuff.

Thanks Philip for spending time with us today.

So! when are you ordering them Mikizee?:P You are after some new VAF's are you not?

I picked up my new DCXs yesterday at 5 o clock (thanks Philip & Alex)

wish I had read Philips post b4 hand. Might just have to go back and order DCX cc earlier than planned.

congratulations. Please post your thoughts on the new DCX. I have had mine now for a few weeks and they are bringing me much pleasure :P

What's the go over in SA, you buggers pinch mondie and Cheeky from us, now you guys are going crazy with audio events happening all the time! Nealy enough to make a Victorian jealous - not quite, but bloody nearly!

You will be, when we win the AFL! :P

I picked up my new DCXs yesterday at 5 o clock (thanks Philip & Alex)

wish I had read Philips post b4 hand. Might just have to go back and order DCX cc earlier than planned.

Yes, do please let us know what you think of them when you get the chance. What are you driving them with, out of interest?

I've had my DCXs since early February, and they are sounding pretty good. (Actually had older model DCXs for around 10 years.)

Yes, do please let us know what you think of them when you get the chance. What are you driving them with, out of interest?

I've had my DCXs since early February, and they are sounding pretty good. (Actually had older model DCXs for around 10 years.)

Old Kenwood BasicC1 Pre , KM209 power and Rotel RCD 1072 cd but looking to slowly upgrade amp and pre just want to listen a bit first so I have a reference. and thanks Lebowski looking forward to the weekend , will post thoughts soon.

Old Kenwood BasicC1 Pre , KM209 power and Rotel RCD 1072 cd but looking to slowly upgrade amp and pre just want to listen a bit first so I have a reference. and thanks Lebowski looking forward to the weekend , will post thoughts soon.

Yep, that's the way to do it, step by step. Listen to them for a while with your current equipment until you get used to them, which should give you some idea on what to upgrade next.

Thanks Philip and well done to you guys that have seen and heard these offerings.

Instead I spent the day wandering around the airport tarmac. Kicking tyres and mumbling to myself (in a Homer Simpson kinda way) about those lucky so and so's, blah, blah, blah:confused:

Well i am realy jealous wish i could pop in and listen :P congratulations Phill on the new speakers i was saying to someone the other day on the fact that vaf have had the same flagship speaker for as long as i can rember and they must have got it right way back then. :P

So! when are you ordering them Mikizee?:P You are after some new VAF's are you not?

Currently crunching the numbers to see how much I can scrimp myself and how much of my soul I'd have to sell to the bank in order to get them (and new amps etc).

I desperately need new furniture as well (remember my crappy couches?) So I was thinking of loaning a fat wad of cash to upgrade my house.

Then live like a pauper for the next two years. Well, a pauper with a terrific home sound system. (and nice couches).

e.

Then live like a pauper for the next two years. Well, a pauper with a terrific home sound system. (and nice couches).

Yep! when I get down a bit about finances etc, I can always go in and listen to THE system or just look at it:rolleyes: And my VAF's are almost 10 years old --And lovin' them.

Good luck with your soul and who needs new seats anyway:cool:

I managed to visit yesterday and Philip was kind enough to stay and give me a demonstration.

The speakers were being driven by Micrex (or are they called Sonique now?) Hybrid pre-powere and an Arcam (was it?) Cd player. Cables were a new German line VAF are importing. As thick as gardeen hoses, Nitrogen filled and with seriously jewel like locking connectors.

They were set up as the old i93s usually were.

In short: almost everything the old 93s did the new ones do better and the imporvements are immediately obvious.

To me (and probably only to me) they have abig flaw that the old ones did not. When driven by the Micrexes (which I blame, as they also have this fault) the speakers become agressive in the upper-mids with poorly-recorded music. Try Grace by Jeff Buckley. They were recorded with this fault the Micrexes exaggerated it and the new 93s hit me over the head with it. Nearly painful.

This is an area of sensitivity for me and I've always built systems to aviod it. There was no such problem with the other music played. A different amp would fix this (or listener).

This aside -- WOW! The feeling that the musician is communicating with the listener rather than the engineer/producer just serving up the piece as if to say 'take it or leave it' was addictive. The slightest change of technique between notes was clear and the musical reason was laid bare.

There was no sense of compression of dynamics or a floor to the bass or treble.

Everyone should listen to these! Will post more Monday.

Thanks again to Phil for his time.

ES

Thanks for that ES.

This may sound like it's in another ball park, but I was listening to my older DCX's very closely (and loud) today after some fiddling with mt TT and the lower midrange sounded magnifacent, but the upper mids were very 'cringing' in parts. Is it maybe a VAF 'sound' or the recordings?

I managed to visit yesterday and Philip was kind enough to stay and give me a demonstration.

The speakers were being driven by Micrex (or are they called Sonique now?) Hybrid pre-powere and an Arcam (was it?) Cd player. Cables were a new German line VAF are importing. As thick as gardeen hoses, Nitrogen filled and with seriously jewel like locking connectors.

They were set up as the old i93s usually were.

In short: almost everything the old 93s did the new ones do better and the imporvements are immediately obvious.

To me (and probably only to me) they have abig flaw that the old ones did not. When driven by the Micrexes (which I blame, as they also have this fault) the speakers become agressive in the upper-mids with poorly-recorded music. Try Grace by Jeff Buckley. They were recorded with this fault the Micrexes exaggerated it and the new 93s hit me over the head with it. Nearly painful.

This is an area of sensitivity for me and I've always built systems to aviod it. There was no such problem with the other music played. A different amp would fix this (or listener).

This aside -- WOW! The feeling that the musician is communicating with the listener rather than the engineer/producer just serving up the piece as if to say 'take it or leave it' was addictive. The slightest change of technique between notes was clear and the musical reason was laid bare.

There was no sense of compression of dynamics or a floor to the bass or treble.

Everyone should listen to these! Will post more Monday.

Thanks again to Phil for his time.

ES

Have to correct you there ES the Jeff Buckley track Philip has in his arsenal is 'Everybody Here Wants You' off the 'My Sweetheart the Drunk' record.

This track was only recorded as a demo and only released after Jeff Buckley's death and thus is not a great recording. So that may attribute to your feelings about hearing that track.