Panasonic TV Owners & Discussion Thread

I don't understand... why would outputting 1366x768 from a htpc onto a 1024x768 panel be better? Wouldn't it be best to output precisely what the panel displays at? I would have thought it would be a simple case of select 1024 x 768 on the htpc display properties and away you go...

Good Guys advertised the PX7A in the paper up here today for $1899, less for cash...

Seriously tempted to get one (quite a departure for me though - I've been wanting a 40"+ 1080p display, and if I'd gone for a plsama I'd want proper pixel ratio)... but for the price and quality it is very tempting.

I don't understand... why would outputting 1366x768 from a htpc onto a 1024x768 panel be better? Wouldn't it be best to output precisely what the panel displays at? I would have thought it would be a simple case of select 1024 x 768 on the htpc display properties and away you go...

It is. That is what I mean! :)

Match the video output of your HTPC to match the native resolution of your plasma panel.

42" 104x768 panel is 4:3 resolution. 50" 1366x768 panel is 16:9 resolution (widescreen).

You get a widescreen image on the 1024x768 panel because it uses rectangular pixels instead of square ones.

I prefer to go for a 50" panel to get the native widescreen resolution with no additional rescaling.

It is. That is what I mean! :)

Match the video output of your HTPC to match the native resolution of your plasma panel.

42" 104x768 panel is 4:3 resolution. 50" 1366x768 panel is 16:9 resolution (widescreen).

You get a widescreen image on the 1024x768 panel because it uses rectangular pixels instead of square ones.

I prefer to go for a 50" panel to get the native widescreen resolution with no additional rescaling.

We moved the discussion to HTPC & Panasonic plasma thread

It is not necessarily better to match the plasma resolution and the PC resolution if the panel doesnt support 1:1 pixel mapping. Other issues of overscan / screen offset / scaling will all impact which resolution is best. Also the available refresh frequencies may vary for certain resolutions / video cards.

Although 1024x768 might be the best, I suspect that a 720p image will be better as the panel was designed to scale this resolution. Certainly my 50" panasonic plasma (see the above thread) doesnt work best on its native resolution.

J.

Those prices didn't include the 5 year warranty, but I managed to talk him into including the warranty with not a lot of effort, so I am getting the TV with 5 year warranty for 2300. So, I am sure you would be able to talk him into including it in the 2100 pretty easily, but I am not actually sure what the price of the extra warranty is normally.

As for stock, I am going out there tomorrow to fill in the finance stuff (ran out of time today), so I will find out and let you know what they have got.

yer can if you find out how mny they have.

thatde be great.

FAT

Guest EZYHD
no warranty

I had big probs with a Samsung plasma with warranty and mate has big probs with an LG out of warranty, its crazy not taking extra warranty on any Plasma as these complex TV's are just so expensive to fix.

Bought the 42" PX7A at Joyce Mayne yesterday for $1,750. Quote on extended warranty was $160 for 2yrs (3yrs in total)

Scott

that's a great price! - could you send the receipt to me - please PM me

so was that $2100 including 5 year warranty?if not, how much was it ? also,did they have stock of the 70a?

ill head out there monday if theyve got them.

FAT

Those prices didn't include the 5 year warranty, but I managed to talk him into including the warranty with not a lot of effort, so I am getting the TV with 5 year warranty for 2300. So, I am sure you would be able to talk him into including it in the 2100 pretty easily, but I am not actually sure what the price of the extra warranty is normally.

As for stock, I am going out there tomorrow to fill in the finance stuff (ran out of time today), so I will find out and let you know what they have got.

I went back today and when discussing the price, I found out the price of the extended warranty (making it 5 years) is 250.

yer can if you find out how mny they have.

thatde be great.

FAT

Sadly though they are out of stock at the moment and said that it will most likely be a 3 week wait for it :(, Panasonic supposedly told them they will come into their warehouse (the panasonic warehouse) around the 22nd, and they will get them a few 3-4 days after that, so looking at the 25-26th.

:(:(:(:(

MMM ,now it makes it hard,,,dont know if i should look at the 7a ,,suppose i Could wait for a few weeks,,,problem is i know for a fact panasonic has a bad track record with suppying stock when there is a shortage,,which there appears to be atm.

FAT

I went back today and when discussing the price, I found out the price of the extended warranty (making it 5 years) is 250.

Sadly though they are out of stock at the moment and said that it will most likely be a 3 week wait for it :(, Panasonic supposedly told them they will come into their warehouse (the panasonic warehouse) around the 22nd, and they will get them a few 3-4 days after that, so looking at the 25-26th.

Excellent mate,,thanks for that ,,,looks like ive madfe up my mind.

FAT

A public thanks to Scott too - it's almost budging the finance managers now (i.e. the parents)

Good Guys advertised the PX7A in the paper up here today for $1899, less for cash...

Seriously tempted to get one (quite a departure for me though - I've been wanting a 40"+ 1080p display, and if I'd gone for a plsama I'd want proper pixel ratio)... but for the price and quality it is very tempting.

The latest JB-Hi Fi catalog landed in my letterbox today (Melbourne) and they have the 7A listed at $1998, so you know they can go lower. :)

They had the cheek to list the 42" 70A at $2496! No way is it worth $500 more.

Here is a link to a UK review on the UK equivalent 42" 70A model.

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/Panasonic-TH42PX70/

It says in part:

We got the PC/VGA connection working on 1366x768 input with the correct aspect ratio. You cannot perform 1:1 mapping on a plasma as long as its native resolution is in 4:3 ratio, like in this case. All 1024x768 resolution plasma screens achieve a 16:9 aspect ratio by having rectangular pixels. Advanced PC settings allow you to change gamma (affect mid tones in an image) and horizontal / vertical position.

I still think it's a great panel for TV and DVD/HD-DVD viewing The 7A for less than $2000 is great value.

I'll find out where the wife put the receipt. All I said was I've heard people are getting it for $2800 - but I'd have to go home and get the proof. Guess he just wanted a sale with 20 minutes before closing time on the 30th June. I didn't really talk to him - let her do her do the bargaining. It's the asian salesman that I see there just about every time we go into the store.

Want me to email it when I find it?

Hi Great Jax, thats an incredible price,

I went into Harvey Normal at Knox, Melbourne - and the best they could do was 2950 for the Panel and laughed off 2800.

Do u mind sending my a copy of the receipt for the Panasonic 50"?

Would really appreciate it, Thanks.

Geoff.

my email is jammingeoffAThotmail.com

Yesterday Harvey Norman in Bundall (Gold Coast) had the TH-42PX70A reduced down to $2,286. But after going into HN and 2 Retravisions (and ringing a further 3) no one seems to have any available for immediate pickup...none available until the end of the month.

Hi Guys,

I am in the market for a HD panel and am in a bit of a bind as to what to get.

I'm obsessed with 1080p. I'm buying a PS3 shortly and I want to get everything at once.

I personally prefer Plasma, but I may have to give up 1080p and settle for 720p because I don't have the room for a 50" panel. So it looks like a 42" is what I'm after.

I've been doing my research and have decided on either Panasonic or Pioneer. The latter was a little bit more than I want to pay.

I would settle for a 70A no problem. Can anyone give me their expert opinion? Any help would be great.

Oh, and what is 1:1 Pixel Mapping?

Hi All,

New to this forum.

I bought my 42PC1DG with one year warranty from BeeLee (right before the end of financial year)

Just a couple of quick question:

1) Should I get an Extended Warranty? ( 400 for extra 4 years)

2) Is this model easy to break down?

3) Is it expensive to fix?

Thanks for all your help in advance.

I bought my 42PC1DG with one year warranty from BeeLee (right before the end of financial year)

Just a couple of quick question:

1) Should I get an Extended Warranty? ( 400 for extra 4 years)

2) Is this model easy to break down?

3) Is it expensive to fix?

Opening yourself to a bit of fun by raising a question about an LG screen in a Pana pricing thread...

FWIW I would purchase the extra warranty (because it is an LG screen and repairs are expensive) but $400 seems a little high considering most are paying about $250-$300.

I'm obsessed with 1080p...I personally prefer Plasma, but I may have to give up 1080p and settle for 720p because I don't have the room for a 50" panel. So it looks like a 42" is what I'm after.

I've been doing my research and have decided on either Panasonic or Pioneer. The latter was a little bit more than I want to pay.

Panasonic look to be realeasing a 42" 1080p latter this year