Panasonic TV Owners & Discussion Thread

Hi all,

just thought someone may want to know but just ordered Panasonic VIERA TH-50PX70A 50" (127cm) Digital HD Plasma TV from Retravision in Epping, Melb. (in Nrthrn subs.) last Friday 20/07/2007 for $2575 (They were having some sort of sale Christmas in July, I think), not in stock so 3-4 week wait but for the price I'm in no rush, +$299 for extended up to 5yr warranty ( which is lower end of 5yr warranties I've noticed {range $250-499 depending which store}). Went to other stores on day -3 JB's,Myer Nrthlnd ,Clive Peter's,2 Good Guys,Panasales and none could even price match let alone beat, with comments ranging from disbelief to "it must be reconditioned" to "who ever sold it to you must have got their numbers wrong".

Anyway if looking for 50" HD Plasma may be worth checking it out. Though the salesman did state "today only' but I've heard that before and it's hardly ever true but who knows??

That's an excellent price. Can you email the receipt, or give me the salesman's name. I may go there this weekend and try them out.

I'm looking at a 50 inch panasonic because it has a PC input , how much are they ging for these days? I dont want s true 1080p screen , 780 is fine , and not the latest spec either.

I'm looking at the good guys website , no prices though , the besic specs are

Resolution 1366 x 768

Contrast Ratio 10000:1

Tuner Integrated HDTV

Connections 2 x HDMI, S-Video, PC, Component

Price about?

just ordered Panasonic VIERA TH-50PX70A 50" (127cm) Digital HD Plasma TV from Retravision in Epping, Melb. (in Nrthrn subs.) last Friday 20/07/2007 for $2575 (They were having some sort of sale Christmas in July, I think), not in stock so 3-4 week wait but for the price I'm in no rush, +$299 for extended up to 5yr warranty ( which is lower end of 5yr warranties I've noticed {range $250-499 depending which store}). Went to other stores on day -3 JB's,Myer Nrthlnd ,Clive Peter's,2 Good Guys,Panasales and none could even price match let alone beat, with comments ranging from disbelief to "it must be reconditioned" to "who ever sold it to you must have got their numbers wrong".

Anyway if looking for 50" HD Plasma may be worth checking it out. Though the salesman did state "today only' but I've heard that before and it's hardly ever true but who knows??

That's a HD unit with;

Resolution 1366 x 768 with 1080p chipset

Contrast Ratio 10000:1

Tuner Integrated analogue tuner + SD/HD tuner

Connections 2 x HDMI, S-Video, PC, Component

See http://panasonic.com.au/products/specifica...m?objectID=3838 for specifics

Around Melb. 50" HD plasma (they will all be HD in that size) prices range from Panasales in Brighton $2799 LG PC1D to average $3299/3399/3499 for Good Guys,HN,Clive Peter's Samsung/LG/Panasonic 50" HD plasma with similar to above features. But average with haggling seems to be around $2800, anything lower is a bonus.

That's an excellent price. Can you email the receipt, or give me the salesman's name. I may go there this weekend and try them out.

Salesman was Mr. Don Quattrocchi.

Unfortunately scanner is down for the moment, so unable to upload receipt but hope to fix next few days when time avails.

I'm having a hard time deciding between pana 700a or the pio 507.

Are there any major improvements from the 70a to the 700a?

Hi MR08,

I'm in the hunt and tossing up between the Sammy Q9, the PX70 (though the Mrs has all but ruled that out for it's not so 'designer' look) and the PX700. Improvements I have been able to find so far for the PX700 over the PX70 are:

- Additional HDMI input on front of panel (for total of 3)

- Addition of SDHC Card Slot (for photos only I beleive, not video?)

- C.A.T.S. (Contrast Automatic Tracking System) - adjusts contrast automatically based on ambient lighting conditions

- PIP/PAT/PAP (2-tuner)

- SRS TruSurround XT processing

- Smart Sound Speaker System (31 W (15.5W + 15.5 W)) - said to be very good quality according to UK reviews

- Swivel pedestal stand

- Made in Japan (apparently the PX70 will not be for much longer...)

- UNCONFIRMED: there is mention of an anti-glare screen coating in this model for continental Europe, but it has not shown up on models released in the UK, so until it is seen here, I am not sure about that one. It's not in the listed spec anyway.

Given that you are able to get online pricing for the PX700 as low as $3,199 (see earlier post on previous page), it's pretty good value still even over the PX70, that is assuming you would utilise the featured improvements as shown - I know I would be.

Cheers,

Doc.

Hi MR08,

I'm in the hunt and tossing up between the Sammy Q9, the PX70 (though the Mrs has all but ruled that out for it's not so 'designer' look) and the PX700. Improvements I have been able to find so far for the PX700 over the PX70 are:

- Additional HDMI input on front of panel (for total of 3)

- Addition of SDHC Card Slot (for photos only I beleive, not video?)

- C.A.T.S. (Contrast Automatic Tracking System) - adjusts contrast automatically based on ambient lighting conditions

- PIP/PAT/PAP (2-tuner)

- SRS TruSurround XT processing

- Smart Sound Speaker System (31 W (15.5W + 15.5 W)) - said to be very good quality according to UK reviews

- Swivel pedestal stand

- Made in Japan (apparently the PX70 will not be for much longer...)

- UNCONFIRMED: there is mention of an anti-glare screen coating in this model for continental Europe, but it has not shown up on models released in the UK, so until it is seen here, I am not sure about that one. It's not in the listed spec anyway.

Given that you are able to get online pricing for the PX700 as low as $3,199 (see earlier post on previous page), it's pretty good value still even over the PX70, that is assuming you would utilise the featured improvements as shown - I know I would be.

Cheers,

Doc.

i've just bought a 70a - and it's made in japan. have seen the rumours about future production being in china though - but they're just rumours (like the rumour that the latest delivery was to be china-sourced - clearly that was wrong!).

i have an a/v receiver, so the better speakers on the 700a didn't appeal. pip/pat/pap would've been nice, but not worth the extra money for me. extra hdmi/sd card slot wasn't a factor for me either - since i have nothing hdmi now, so figured that 2 inputs on the 70a would be fine. pedastal stand would've been nice too - but again, not a huge factor for me.

the biggest differential in my mind is the screen itself - since this is what i'm buying - and they're the same in the 70a and 700a - other than the cats thing. again, i figured that since the tv wasn't going to be moved around a lot, automatic contrast adjustment wasn't an issue (unlike on my blackberry, where it's actually quite useful - since i read the screen in all sorts of light).

like dr smythe - it really depends on what you're using it for. for me, the $300-$500 difference in price didn't justify the 700a in my mind - but if you want the speakers/extra inputs - and prefer grey/black rather than just black, then get the 700a!

Thanks for the replies.

My first requirment for my new TV was PIP. I have it at the moment and I love having it.

So I'm heading for the 700a, even if it is a little more expensive.

I've been quoted for the 700a for 3100 + 549 warrantee. This puts me almost in the pio 507 price bracket.

I'm might see if i can get teh 507 for under $3800

EDIT: Sorry the price was $3150

Thanks for the replies.

My first requirment for my new TV was PIP. I have it at the moment and I love having it.

I've been quoted for the 700a for 3100 + 549 warrantee. This puts me almost in the pio 507 price bracket.

Good price on the PX700A MR08! Was that unit price conditional on buying the 5 year warranty at the same time, or was the dealer happy to part with the panel alone for that? Already looking like better value for those extra bits that I unfortunately need over the PX70A :rolleyes:

I'm sure you've seen the Pio JB thread on the forum, but best get out there fast if you want the 507, at any price that is! If the store ain't got it out back, you ain't likely to get one at all!

Cheers,

Doc.

Good price on the PX700A MR08! Was that unit price conditional on buying the 5 year warranty at the same time, or was the dealer happy to part with the panel alone for that? Already looking like better value for those extra bits that I unfortunately need over the PX70A :rolleyes:

I'm sure you've seen the Pio JB thread on the forum, but best get out there fast if you want the 507, at any price that is! If the store ain't got it out back, you ain't likely to get one at all!

Cheers,

Doc.

Sorry I miss quoted the price it was $3150

No they quoted me the price then I had to ask how much the extended warranty would be if I bought it.

I PM'd a sales rep who has posted in these forums before. The dealer is in vic but I can PM you his contact details if you wish.

I bought the 70A and the stand really grows on you. I think it looks really classy and it's different from the norm.

Hi llsTixll,

For the stand it's more of a functional thing, we have an open plan living space and want to swivel the panel according to where we might be at the time... the matt finish was also a bit of a thing for her, so hoping the PX700 impresses a little more in person on that front!

Doc.

i've just bought a 70a - and it's made in japan. have seen the rumours about future production being in china though - but they're just rumours (like the rumour that the latest delivery was to be china-sourced - clearly that was wrong!).

i have an a/v receiver, so the better speakers on the 700a didn't appeal. pip/pat/pap would've been nice, but not worth the extra money for me. extra hdmi/sd card slot wasn't a factor for me either - since i have nothing hdmi now, so figured that 2 inputs on the 70a would be fine. pedastal stand would've been nice too - but again, not a huge factor for me.

the biggest differential in my mind is the screen itself - since this is what i'm buying - and they're the same in the 70a and 700a - other than the cats thing. again, i figured that since the tv wasn't going to be moved around a lot, automatic contrast adjustment wasn't an issue (unlike on my blackberry, where it's actually quite useful - since i read the screen in all sorts of light).

like dr smythe - it really depends on what you're using it for. for me, the $300-$500 difference in price didn't justify the 700a in my mind - but if you want the speakers/extra inputs - and prefer grey/black rather than just black, then get the 700a!

I'm with you for the exact same reasons, hence why I've gone the 70a. Who really would utilise the speakers on a plasma or lcd nowadays? No doubt 99% of people would surely have a surround / av system for audio.

If The Retail is $4399 how come its sells here for $3199 http://www.theelectricdiscounter.com.au/as...rranty=5YPT3000

That's $1200 off, maybe they got the RRP wrong

Hey Pana,

While it's never gospel, the RRP for all the panels seems pretty far off what we are seeing at discount and through the online, or 'clicks and mortar' stores. The PX70A for example is also showing quite a high RRP of $3,849. Good for the stores who don't have customers searching forums such as these I guess.... must be how they make up for our leg work ;)

Cheers,

Doc.

If The Retail is $4399 how come its sells here for $3199 http://www.theelectricdiscounter.com.au/as...rranty=5YPT3000

That's $1200 off, maybe they got the RRP wrong

I think that is the correct RRP. The 70A is listed as $3849 RRP but Myer has the retail as $3499. (WOW Sight and Sound have the original $3849 as the RRP - they were selling it for $3449 and couldn't match Myer's $2699 because the WOW sales guy said that their price is already $400 off RRP. Apparently WOW's costing works differently - if the RRP comes down, they have to stick their original cost price where as Myer, HN can "bring down" their cost price to match the falling RRP. Beats me how it works)

The way I see it, the RRP on the website is the initial RRP when it's first released. The RRP continues to drop in stores but the website price doesn't seem to keep up with the updates. The RRP of $4399 is most probably from a few months ago. But then again, I could have no idea what I'm talking about... :huh:

Thanks for the replies.

EDIT: Sorry the price was $3150

MR08

Make sure that you go and trial the PIP on the 700a before buying. I have a 600a and whilst the PIP is OK it is nowhere near as good as the PIP on my old LG CRT. As the TV only has 1 HD tuner the PIP uses the analogue tuner, so when you swap to the PIP you get the analogue picture showing on the full screen which is not pretty to watch. I only use PIP now during ads so I can see when the ads are finished and then change back using the HD tuner. It also takes a second or so to get rid of the PIP during which the whole screen goes blank. Like I said it is OK but not as good as what I was used to.

I have no idea what the PIP function on the Pioneer is like.

I have a 600a and whilst the PIP is OK it is nowhere near as good as the PIP on my old LG CRT.

I have no idea what the PIP function on the Pioneer is like.

You can PIP inputs as well so if you have a PVR it works well eg PVR and PS3

I don't think the Pio can have PIP from 2 inputs: only 1 input and tuner (I think)

Hey guys, I was just hoping to get a few clarifications on what the exact difference between the panasonic TH-42PX7A and TH-42PX70A are? I know that there is one extra HDMI input on the 70A but does anyone know if there is anything else? I am waiting on a 70A to come in, but if it is only 1 HDMI input that is the difference then it might not be worth the extra money for it and I will probably try to change the order to a 7A. So, any clarification on this would be awesome because the panasonic specs seem to be a bit inconsistent on them.

Hey guys, I was just hoping to get a few clarifications on what the exact difference between the panasonic TH-42PX7A and TH-42PX70A are? I know that there is one extra HDMI input on the 70A but does anyone know if there is anything else? I am waiting on a 70A to come in, but if it is only 1 HDMI input that is the difference then it might not be worth the extra money for it and I will probably try to change the order to a 7A. So, any clarification on this would be awesome because the panasonic specs seem to be a bit inconsistent on them.

from my understanding, other than looking slightly different (esp the bottom part where the speakers are located), the 70a is made in japan, and the 7a is made in china. the screen is apparently the same!