Panasonic TV Owners & Discussion Thread

Most places are still out of stock...

The one place I've seen lately that still has the Panasonic in stock AND will give you a good price is Myer. Most of the other retailers do not even have it but from the sounds of it will get it late this week.

I, too, got the "alien" treatment at JB a week or so back. I had already paid a deposit on a TH50PX70A at Clive Peeters who had agreed that if stock didnt arrive within a week I could get my deposit back if I chose to cancel. A week went by and JB had several of this model in stock and when I asked if they could match the price they said that was below their buy price and advised me to wait out the Clive Peeters delivery (3 weeks and it still hasnt arrived). My theory for the JB refusal ? They bought up heaps of stock at a high price well before 30th June and then got caught with a supplier price drop.

Maybe, being a semi-intelligent retailer, the guy you spoke to realised that he has stock of the screen when no-one else does - and people who want the screen now will pay more for it to have it now. Retailers are under no obligation to match a price you have found, regardless of price. The alien look is his way of saying, "Sorry fella - you want it now, you pay what my price is".

I went down to HN Liverpool to check out whats on offer in TV land. I was looking at the Panasonic 70A and it was sweet, except for one thing, jaggies! These jaggies were not on the Pioneer. They were on both the 50" and 42" and running Channel 9 Widescreen Sunday Footy Show. Do you guys suffer from these jaggy lines, kind like aliasing in computer gaming terms? I thought the sub-pixel controller would clear this out.

Yeah. 1080p is just too expensive right now...especially in Australia.

I love the look of 1080p...and to be honest, if DLP/LCOS, etc were still readily available, I'd probably get a 1080p set cause I don't care about it being a flat panel and the price would be right....

But in Plasma or LCD which is pretty much the only thing you can find in Australia nowadays, it's just ridiculously expensive and the benefit is so marginal it's not even worth it. Still looking at a couple of years before they become something that's not bleeding edge and carrying a hefty premium.

Have been trying to find out what else is different rather than the extra pixels. Eg, better internal; chipset / scaler, better blacks / gradation levels. Would anyone have any ideas ? Crazy RRP given the US pricing.

My theory for the JB refusal ? They bought up heaps of stock at a high price well before 30th June and then got caught with a supplier price drop.

actually retailers get price protection on all products like this...

the price you had would have been below floor cost, but not below rebated cost due to turnover $, but as another poster said, its more of a supply and demand thing, and if the salesperson at JB wasnt desperate for a sale i can understand why he wouldnt sell it below floor cost....

(though im sure the share holders would have preferred it :) )

Their reluctance to sell at a lower price has nothing to do w/ them having it in stock and others not. There are still plenty of places with them in stock (the Myer store I went to had 30+ in stock). Some of them have a number they work off of for their commission I'm sure and that number probably dictates what they can or can not sell it at.

So far what I've seen as a rundown of price looks like this:

JB

GG

Bing Lee

Won't go below 3000 (although it's possible I'm sure but just going by what people have said and I've seen myself)

Myer

Clive

Will go below 3000

There are plenty of others out there as well but out of these five, it looks like only JB and Myer have them in stock.

Myer has a low delivery charge and Myer One which basically gives you additional money back....

1080p is a croc. Don't get sucked into the hype now. Wait until the prices drop and 1080p panels are the norm. You won't notice a difference at normal viewing distances anyway.

I told a mate of mine that I bought a 50" plasma and he asked if it was 1080p and I said no. He was pretty much bagging me for not getting a 1080p panel. He is such a noob cos he was saying if you look really close at a 1080p panel, you can hardly see any pixelation. Yeah great, but who watches TV from 5 cm away? Idiot.

Believe stick with a 768 panel if you are buying now. Get a 1080p panel in a year or two.

Hi u are right I had done my research over 3 months finding which Plasma to buy...and cheapest in market....in Aussie.

In last two weeks i got a Panasonic TH-42PX70A Plasma 42" 768 panel with 1080p,1080i support...

for $2,190 with $300 Warranty of 5 years. 50" is good size but too big for my livingroom

The last Model TH-42PX70 is $2,000 or less now with only one HDMI plug is the only different

Most Electronics market in Aussie for TH-42PX70A is $2,800. (You have to bet the price from the sales people)

I didn't get upset bec my screen does not have 1080p panel ...

We always sit about 11 foot away from Plasma no notice at all with clear picture (I never use analogue)

I only notice the quality, if the programs was made in analogue of 4.3 and or looking too close than 5cm on plasma. u might get sore eyes if pixels is bright so don't bother at all

All SD or HD TV Channels program quality are not same) who cares... due to signal Strength,noise, weather or where programs are made from what kind of live Cameras quality they use, all have different quality

(Some Football live have a crap Camera with doggy pixels) and rest of sport is clear to perfect to me.

What makes me happy about this Plasma is Integrated DVB-T (HD,SD with Analogue), no bloody box needed

2 HDMI input - Had not try yet

The best Black background than LCD

PC Input - Done it to watch DVD bloody great view in 16.9 from my PC

(For games, homework i rather use my LCD)

To reduce a chance of burn in long hours, no big deal if u running DVD movies in 16.9 mode is best cover screen.

Power watts for 42" is 350W and 50" is 528W so i rather 350W

My Old Panasonic 68cm flat CRT was 160W

My future HDMI HD DVD RECORDER DMR-EX75

when the price drops from $700-800 by end of year.... (Don't waste ur money on Analogue DVD RECORDER it will not record programs as clear as integrated HD DVD RECORDER....coming ahead...

I would buy Blue Ray is a good idea for next few years until Movie Productions start using Blu Ray up to 90% and price in market will drop.

At moment in Aussie market is from $1,000 in 2007.

LCD 1080p still have **** pixel boxy shifting and black light leak (LCD always have globe light behind screen)

Why I didn't buy Panasonic 1080p panel bec its not too costly

All Plasma 1080p will drop price fast early next year due to New Laser TV Technology will hit aussie market end of December 2007.

I am happy with my new Plasma TV 768 panel to last longer.

Don't really care if my Plasma break down in Ten years why why!!

I will buy new Panasonic 1080p full Laser TV which will take over Plasma and LCD no big deal

Everyone should stick stick with a 768 panel and forget about 1080p if u can't afford it.

Have been trying to find out what else is different rather than the extra pixels. Eg, better internal; chipset / scaler, better blacks / gradation levels. Would anyone have any ideas ? Crazy RRP given the US pricing.

If you are interested in specs I think you will find that besides resolution 720p plasma panels have much higher specs than 1080p plasma panels. ;)

In last two weeks i got a Panasonic TH-42PX70A Plasma 42" 768 panel with 1080p,1080i support...

for $2,190 with $300 Warranty of 5 years. 50" is good size but too big for my livingroom

We always sit about 11 foot away from Plasma no notice at all with clear picture (I never use analogue)

You're 11 feet away and think 50" is too big!? WTF?!?!?! :wacko:

Got this in an email from my local electrical retailer this morning

the 1080p premium seems huge

TH58PZ700A RRP $10999.00 AVAILABLE SEPTEMBER.

TH50PZ700A RRP$6599.00 AVAILABLE SEPTEMBER.

TH42PZ700A RRP$5499.00 AVAILABLE OCTOBER.

consider the 42pz700u retails between 1600 and 2400 in the states

There are quite a few new models coming out by October so it is going to be quite competitive. If the $A remains high the pricing will have to be cheaper than that. It will be interesting to compare the new Pioneer 720p models with the 80% better blacks and advanced processing with the PZ models. I suspect the Pioneer will win out, but we have to wait and see.

Sorry if this has already been posted before. TH50PX700A $3359 seems to be available at last.

http://www.theelectricdiscounter.com.au/as...rranty=5YPT3000

Hi Gang,

So as you can see - the TH-50PX700A has started to show it's head around some of the online stores (above, Bing Lee, etc) and this has me up and thinking about a model switch once again in the lead up to my 50" plasma purchase... anyone know of if/when a PX700A is on display in Sydney anywhere (preferably city or North)?

The WAF was pretty high on the Sammy Q91 compared to the PX70's rather dull looks, and I conceded in part thanks to the fact the Sammy had the better feature set with what only appeared a marginal difference in PQ. With this new Pana now on the scene it may be back to a two-horse race for me again! :wacko:

There were a few other things the Sammy Q91 had which may still keep it in the race though, anyone care to comment on whether these are features available or substituted on the PX700A?

- Independently stored picture settings (by input, HDMI, TV tuner, AV1, etc)

- Swivel stand (I see the PX700A is on a stand, but not sure it is swivel or not??)

- Anti-burn technology (anything like the pixel-shift function)

The manual appears to have been taken down from the Pana site so I am finding it hard to verify (it was there ages ago shortly after this thread was kicked off - anyone save a copy of the PDF?).

Any other comments?

Cheers,

Doc.

Anyone seen the TH50PX700A yet? $3359 at http://www.theelectricdiscounter.com.au/as...rranty=5YPT3000

but this ad says 1 HDMI only! Not on Pana AU website yet (that I could find). I thought it was a PX600 with an anti-glare screen coting but PX600 has 2 HDMI?

Looks to be 3 HDMI inputs in this ad to me... in the product name, description, and features...

"The New Release Panasonic 50 Inch Plasma TV, featuring a Built in HD Tuner, Viera Link, 3 HDMI, Real Black Drive, 3D Colour Management, and Sub Pixel Control. 10th Generation Panel."

Hi Gang,

So as you can see - the TH-50PX700A has started to show it's head around some of the online stores (above, Bing Lee, etc) and this has me up and thinking about a model switch once again in the lead up to my 50" plasma purchase... anyone know of if/when a PX700A is on display in Sydney anywhere (preferably city or North)?

The WAF was pretty high on the Sammy Q91 compared to the PX70's rather dull looks, and I conceded in part thanks to the fact the Sammy had the better feature set with what only appeared a marginal difference in PQ. With this new Pana now on the scene it may be back to a two-horse race for me again! :wacko:

There were a few other things the Sammy Q91 had which may still keep it in the race though, anyone care to comment on whether these are features available or substituted on the PX700A?

- Independently stored picture settings (by input, HDMI, TV tuner, AV1, etc)

- Swivel stand (I see the PX700A is on a stand, but not sure it is swivel or not??)

- Anti-burn technology (anything like the pixel-shift function)

The manual appears to have been taken down from the Pana site so I am finding it hard to verify (it was there ages ago shortly after this thread was kicked off - anyone save a copy of the PDF?).

Any other comments?

Cheers,

Doc.

I found the pdf on my desktop so I uploaded it for you: http://files-upload.com/390468/F001906.pdf.html

My decision came down to the Samsung Q91 or the Panasonic 70A. Here were my findings:

-I didn't like the reflection moire effect from the Samsung's filter (when the screen is off or dark, you can see horizontal lines across the screen when any ambient light hits it)

-The Samsung does have more features (Movie Plus, DNIe, etc) but you'll find that these are "extra" gimmicks that everyone seems to turn off anyway

-Plasma technology has improved so burn-in is very hard to achieve, even on panels without any "dedicated" anti-burn features - so I didn't care about the Samsung's feature here

-I reckon the Panasonic has better internal processing than the Samsung

-I reckon the Panasonic has arguably better PQ, PARTICULARLY with SD content

-I didn't like the very glossy bezel of the Samsung - agreed, it does swivel but mate, it isn't that hard to get behind a FLAT panel

-I liked the boomerang stand of the 70A - looks classy and different from the norm

If you didn't like the 70A stand then guaranteed you won't like the silver stand of the 700A - looks like the current gen Pios (black panel with a silver stand) - clashes for me

They were just my findings. Based on them, I went with the 70A.

I'm sure you'll be happy with either set.

I found the pdf on my desktop so I uploaded it for you: http://files-upload.com/390468/F001906.pdf.html

Thanks llsTixll, was thinking someone might have saved it! I think I only deleted it a few weeks back when cleaning up a rather messy desktop. I can't seem to dl the file ATM, even after the countdown, but I'll try a bit later... ;)

Thanks also for your comments between the current sets - the PX70A I have already ruled out for a few reasons, but hoping the PX700A may be able to stand up to the requirements we have. Agree on the importance of the SD PQ etc, and surprisingly enough, the CFO is a big fan of the Pio model's look, so the black on silver should be fine. The swivel stand is also important for us as it will be in an open plan living space where it can be veiwed from the couch, or the kitchen area.

Have you noticed whether or not you can save settings independently on the PX70A? I heard that this wasn't possible and is the reason that I'm trying to verify now - I am constantly switching between inputs and the thought of changing this each time damn near sends me insane! :lol:

Cheers,

Dr.

Hey llsTixll - this thing still ain't working, but are you sure this isn't the 2007 Viera Catalogue? Noticed I have a file on my desktop with the same name... I am after the TH-50PX700A user manual rather than the general catalogue / specs.

Cheers,

Doc.

Hey llsTixll - this thing still ain't working, but are you sure this isn't the 2007 Viera Catalogue? Noticed I have a file on my desktop with the same name... I am after the TH-50PX700A user manual rather than the general catalogue / specs.

Cheers,

Doc.

Hey mate

It is the 2007 Viera catalogue - sorry, I thought that's what you were after! :D

Have you noticed whether or not you can save settings independently on the PX70A? I heard that this wasn't possible and is the reason that I'm trying to verify now - I am constantly switching between inputs and the thought of changing this each time damn near sends me insane! :lol:

Cheers,

Dr.

I haven't noticed but then again, I hardly fiddle with the settings except for the first time calibration.

I'll take a look tonight and let you know.

I haven't noticed but then again, I hardly fiddle with the settings except for the first time calibration.

I'll take a look tonight and let you know.

Cool bananas, thanks mate... and thanks for trying with that brochure as well, I guess the hunt for the user manual continues! You'd think Pana would have it online if it's in the stores already. Might have to write them. Shock, horror! :blink:

Cheers,

Doc.

• Volunteer

Cheers,

Dr.

I have the 42" 70A and yes you can sve the settings independantly for each input (it does it automatically for whatever you set). Thankfully.

Cheers

Karen

I have the 42" 70A and yes you can sve the settings independantly for each input (it does it automatically for whatever you set). Thankfully.

Cheers

Karen

Thanks Karen - good to hear! I can assume from that I think that the PX700 will do at least the same in that respect.

Cheers,

Doc.

• Volunteer
Thanks Karen - good to hear! I can assume from that I think that the PX700 will do at least the same in that respect.

Cheers,

Doc.

Well you would hope so being a more expensive model. :rolleyes:

Cheers

Karen