New AWA 81cm LCD TV - BigW again!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just installed one of these and am experiencing a wierd problem. When I set the resolution to a 15:9 or 16:9 (1280/1360x768) the picture is stretched and not all there. When I move the mouse to the edge of the screen it SCROLLs the desktop so I can see the bit that was missing. Setting to a 4:3 resolution displays the entire screen, but stretched to fit.

It seems like it's always stretching a 4:3 desktop onto the 16:9 screen, even if the desktop is 16:9 (in this case it crops it to 4:3 with the scrolling thing to see the rest of it). This is with DVI and VGA. I've got an ATI Radeon 9600.

Any ideas?

For those of you who have used this for their computer monitor, can I ask how does the resolution of 1366x768 look when sitting 2 feet away from the screen? - what I mean is that can it be a complete replacement for your PC desktop monitor - or is it only intended for distance viewing?

Do the icons look too big when used as a PC, and are the fonts smooth and clear - and what are the colours like?

I want to get a LCD to replace my 19" CRT monitor, but I can't decide what to get.  I like the Dell 24" which can resolve 1920x1200 however the size of the 32" is more attractive to double up for TV/DVD.  The 24" although a good size for a desktop monitor may be a little small for distance viewing.  By my calculations, it's only an inch wider than my 19" monitor - although a number of inches wider due to it being widescreen.  If only Dell had a 28 or 30" model ..... Apple has a 30" model - but 4.8k (no thanks)

Huh? Do you mean image size when comparing your 19" CRT (assuming an 18" viewable area) to the 24" LCD? By my calculations, the 24" LCD's viewable area is almost 6" wider and 2" higher.

As with all LCDs, as long as you run them at the native res, text and images will look sharp. Why not take a look for yourself. It seems like DJs in the CBD around the country are demonstrating the LG 30" LCD monitor/TV which runs at 1280x768. IMHO the screen resolution is adequate for productivity apps and web surfing but the screen size is perfect for watching videos.

Therefore the card may be programmed to have unusal resolution specs, as opposed to a desktop computer with a standard video card.

chrissara so you're actually able to change the resolution to 1366x768 on the 32" AWA through DVI without any problems. What laptop do you have? The only laptop I know of with DVI is the Apple Powerbook.

I bit the bullet and bought one.

My main use will be for family TV/movies. Only had a couple of hours use but picture is generally excellent (haven't got any HD source to try yet).

I was looking at a large CRT (Sony 86cm) as an alternative but the form factor, connectivity and cheaper price swung me to the AWA. I don't have the Sony for direct comparison but it's obvious that the AWA's blacks aren't in the CRT's class (no surprise) - but they're still quite acceptable. PQ even from a cheap DVD source is excellent.

I need more time to assess the sets cababilities, but there is no doubt it's a fine value in the current market.

BTW, if you're interested I wouldn't hang about. All the sets were sold at my local BigW before 9.00am this morning - only display model left - and they couldn't confirm if more were coming. I had one on hold before they arrived, which is the only way I managed to get one!

There seem to be only a couple per store.

I tried three stores (eastern suburbs Melbourne) and ended up going to Fountain Gate. They now have one left, unless it's now gone as well.

Haven't connected it yet, since I should be working. I shouldn't even be typing this since I have a deadline which I won't meet anyway, so bugger it, I will set-up the the new TV.

I am looking at getting one of these and a HD STB that will connect to it via DVI.

From everything I have read, it would appear that these two are my best options:

- LG LST4100P

- TEAC DV-B800

Are there any others I should consider? I don't want to spend too much (or too little) on the HD STB. Does either come with the correct DVI cable?

]

chrissara so you're actually able to change the resolution to 1366x768 on the 32" AWA through DVI without any problems. What laptop do you have? The only laptop I know of with DVI is the Apple Powerbook.

I have an ITC Millienium 7300.

Also known as a Sager 9640. Made by Clevo (their 900 series). Essentially the current top end laptop / desktop replacement. It has a x800 PCI-X video card with a DVI output on the back. Can show a piccie if you want. I choose this card over the GF 6800 which came standard with the laptop. The first generation in Australia (the last six weeks) only offered standard DDR ram as opposed to the X800 which was DDR3 ram.

I am looking at getting one of these and a HD STB that will connect to it via DVI.

From everything I have read, it would appear that these two are my best options:

- LG LST4100P

- TEAC DV-B800

Are there any others I should consider?  I don't want to spend too much (or too little) on the HD STB.  Does either come with the correct DVI cable?

Both do not come with dvi cables my plasma had 1 not the stbs. You can get a reasonable 1 for $30-$40 at Jbs or jaycar

The teac is the cheaper the LG (which I have 2 of) is in the $500 area and the teac $350-$390

Both work well the teac has some minor issues the posts here will elaborate.

My son has the teac and it works fine for him in RGB.

Just hooked up the new AWA 81cm.

PQ using my 4 year old SD Teac DV-B100 looks good. Using composite video.

ABC is showing the Bill and I have played around with picture settings. Looks very sharp indeed.

The guide on 7 and 9 is a bit blurry, but this was also the case on a CRT screen.

I will try the DVD with component video and maybe some fast moving images.

Will be interesting to see sports such as AFL or football.

Additional note:

The screen seems a bit 'wobbly' on the stand. It won't fall over, just flexes on the base. Has anyone else noticed this?

That's the same unit as available from Jaycar for $159

Just to correct this - I happened to be in Jaycar this morning and saw this RGB to component converter. They are actually $129 (but I can't find it in their web catalog).

EDIT: here's another RGB to component converter

http://www.australiandigitaltv.com/accessories/rgbcomp.htm

The Jaycar one is exactly the same as the Hantrex one above. I know because I bought one from Hantrex which arrived yesterday (which is why it caught my eye at Jaycar). Buying off Hantrex works well. Couple of clicks on the web and the unit arrives in 2 days. Hantrex is also a bit cheaper ($119 + $6 postage) compared to Jaycar.

Apparently all sold out in Perth, I visited Belmont at about 11am and was told they all sold out within the 1st Half hour. They reckon all stores sold out. Anyone know otherwise..

Some times it sucks to be on the ass end, of the ass end of the world.

Being LCD. How will ps2, xbox, gamecube look running at your standard 576i res? Mostly 4:3? Does this LCD let you change the aspect to 4:3 and have borders left and right?

Screen burn in? do LCDS have screen burn in?

And lastly. This LCD Vs any other CRT for the same price. What would win? I want my 2k to be well spend on the best quality set I can get. Be it LCD or CRT.

Being LCD. How will ps2, xbox, gamecube look running at your standard 576i res? Mostly 4:3? Does this LCD let you change the aspect to 4:3 and have borders left and right?

Screen burn in? do LCDS have screen burn in?

And lastly. This LCD Vs any other CRT for the same price. What would win? I want my 2k to be well spend on the best quality set I can get. Be it LCD or CRT.

Can't help you with the 1st, although I suspect that it can display in a number of modes, eg stretch, 4:3 etc

Burn in - all screens suffer this, CRT, Plasma and LCD but plasmas are probably the worst, LCD is probably on a par with CRT. I run windows on my office LCD, and havce yet to see a burn-in from the task bar that runs along the base, but I have seen some horrible burn-in on older CRTs. Basically, I wouldn't worry about it.

LCD vs CRT vs Plasma is a matter or personal choice. Try looking at a few, reading up a few articels, and then decide for yourself. Or buy the Big W LCD now, then take it back in a week if you're unhappy. Or wait 6 months and see what else comes onto the market.

Cheers

Zed