New AWA 81cm LCD TV - BigW again!

I seem to remember that people had similar problems with the PC via DVI connections with the 66cm as well....

The solution was to use the VGA connection or a different card.

If memory serves correctly, it was only with some types of cards.....

Check out this thread:

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=14996

Had sucess with a Radeon 9200....

Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't think that there is anything in that thread that is useful since I've now tried it with 3 different cards with the same results on all of them.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The screen looks good, but I'm having a slight problem with it - when attempting to run with a DVI cable from my HTPC, any resolution above 1024x768 is shifted over to the right.  Running the screen from the same system with a standard VGA cable, the screen appears fine.  Anyone else bought this screen yet and running it successfully through DVI from a PC? 

Find if there any PC adjustments in the menu. Up and down and left and right. There were adjustments in the 26"

I had to use them on the 26" via DVI.

Yep, found those controls, but they don't do anything for the horizontal position - you can adjust it but the picture doesn't move at all. The vertical adjustment does move the picture.

I should have mentioned in my previous post that the picture is shifted by about 10cm when running at 1280x768 - far more than a minor adjustment could fix.

I've now tried the screen with 2 dvi cables and on 3 different video cards - a Radeon 9550SE, 9000SE, and an GeForce Ti 4200. Always the same problem, so it looks like I'm just unlucky and have a bad unit :blink:

I'll have to take it back and swap it over tomorrow...

I seem to remember that people had similar problems with the PC via DVI connections with the 66cm as well....

Check out this thread:

Cheers,

Peter

Ah yea - that's great news. Different card manufacturer may not be compliant to DVI standards as they should.

I've got a Sapphire Radeon 9100 and 9600XT AND both WORK PERFECTLY WITH DVI @ NATIVE.

DA

Check out this thread:

Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't think that there is anything in that thread that is useful since I've now tried it with 3 different cards with the same results on all of them.

Well evidence seems to point to DVI-D on those cards being out of spec. I really don't think its the LCD TV.

Powerstrip could do the fix you need.

DA

I have a NVIDA 6600 card with DVI and is meant to be HDTV capable so i assume that it will be OK.

While this screens resolution is not noted in the default setup it looks like i can adjust the setings to any number.

Hopefully this will work.

Although from past discussion it sounds like there is little difference between VGA and DVI for the PC connection.

It is looking more likely that i will have to get one of these tomorrow.

Next will have to start looking for a HD set top box.

I have a NVIDA 6600 card with DVI and is meant to be HDTV capable so i assume that it will be OK.

While this screens resolution is not noted in the default setup it looks like i can adjust the setings to any number.

Hopefully this will work.

Although from past discussion it sounds like there is little difference between VGA and DVI for the PC connection.

It is looking more likely that i will have to get one of these tomorrow.

Next will have to start looking for a HD set top box.

Consider using VGA for the PC and save the DVI for the HD STB.

I use the Teac STB via DVI and am very happy! :blink:

Peter

Looks like every Big W has them on display and are selling them.

Got mine at Endeavor Hills (fountain gate also have them) and the picture quality is better then the 26".

To those who say its too big for a bedroom... well its not, if the picture quality was the same as the 26" I would say yes but I was blown away by this set and its cheap price

I also picked up a Teak DVB-800 for $350 and I am happy with the picture quality running it through bunny ears ( :blink: )

But one problem is that there are white haze lines around borders ect. how does one fix this? Or is it due to the signal strength. I also cannot pick up channel Ten.

Looks like every Big W has them on display and are selling them.

Got mine at Endeavor Hills (fountain gate also have them) and the picture quality is much better then the 26".

WoRm, what do the blacks look like?

I haven't done any direct CRT to LCD comparisons with TV's, but I've not seen an LCD computer monitor that produces the inky blacks (and shading) of a good (even cheap) CRT PC monitor. Probably not an issue for ordinary TV watching but definitely for movies.

Are these new LCD screens better at this?

Well evidence seems to point to DVI-D on those cards being out of spec. I really don't think its the LCD TV.

What evidence do you mean?

Powerstrip could do the fix you need.

I've just tried Powerstrip without any real change to the problem. Can't say that I expected it to, but I guess it was worth a try anyway...

Well for starters I definitely know that ti4600 is out of spec for DVI.

We also have others here using DVI in native match to panel but admit its on a 26" display but with Radeon cards in higher quality builds such as Sapphire.

I have no issue with alignments in the panel.

The brands I have are Sapphire and am presently running SmartVGA ? going by the box it came in.

Are you using native panel match or 1280 * 768 resolution.

Could be the panel afterall. Hard call to make.

DA

Did these things fit in an average size car or do you need a trailer???

It fitted quite easily in the back of my Mazda6 - without dropping the rear seats, but even without dropping the seats, the Mazda6 has a lot of room in the boot, so I couldn't guarantee that it would fit in the back of an average size car...

I just measured the size of the box - it's about 100cm by 58cm by 32cm.

Well for starters I definitely know that ti4600 is out of spec for DVI.

Yes, but I also tested with an ATI Radeon 9550SE and a 9000SE...

We also have others here using DVI in native match to panel but admit its on a 26" display but with Radeon cards in higher quality builds such as Sapphire.

I have no issue with alignments in the panel.

The brands I have are Sapphire and am presently running SmartVGA ? going by the box it came in.

Are you using native panel match or 1280 * 768 resolution.

Tried it in both 1280x768 and 1360x768

Could be the panel afterall. Hard call to make.

I'm pretty sure it's the panel.

I'd say that the probability of 3 different cards, made by different manufacturers with chips from 2 different chip design companies, all having exactly the same fault to be pretty close to zero...

I've just picked one of these up a couple of hours ago.

The screen looks good, but I'm having a slight problem with it - when attempting to run with a DVI cable from my HTPC, any resolution above 1024x768 is shifted over to the right.  Running the screen from the same system with a standard VGA cable, the screen appears fine.  Anyone else bought this screen yet and running it successfully through DVI from a PC? 

The video card that I'm using is a Radeon 9550SE.

yep it will be your video card.. not the LCD display...

I had the EXACT same problem with a 24inch widescreen LCD i bought.. certain resolutions on the video card would offput the picture to the right.. and there was no way i could get it back but to change resolution...

Using a completely different video card fixed this issue all together.....

So yes only a few video cards seem to support the higher resolution on LCDs...

I had the EXACT same problem with a 24inch widescreen LCD i bought.. certain resolutions on the video card would offput the picture to the right.. and there was no way i could get it back but to change resolution...

Ouch.

Which video card did you switch to ? And do you know which other ones also work at higher res on LCDs ?

bertieb

Ouch.

Which video card did you switch to ? And do you know which other ones also work at higher res on LCDs ?

bertieb

well i was using an ATI card... my 24 inch widescreen LCD does real high res though.. up to 1920x1200... anyhow getting close to that resolution the whole picture would be shifted to the right.. you could adjust the vertical but it could not be bought over enough... this was fullscreen..

I could however have the picture centred perfectly if i was running a lower res.. but it looked crap...

i was worried i had a dud screen...

but then i hooked it up to my other computer... it is only running an onboard nVidia card.. nothing special.. but it was able to do the higher res perfectly without the picture being off centred.. i love it....

i can only wonder if its a WIDESCREEN type of problem.. not sure.. was just happy it worked on the other card.. am actually buying a new card this weekend too.. i hope it works ok with it...

NOTE: this is not with the LCD bigw are selling.. but just wanted to share that i have had a similar experience with a DELL LCD and it was the video cards problem.

Ouch.

bertieb

Radeon Card - 9600XT (not an SE) = Smart VGA* branded on box - TESTED OKAY

Radeon Card - 9100 (not an SE) = Sapphire - Tested Okay

Avoid SE branded Radeon cards. I think this maybe the issue here to above but not really sure.

Purchased from Disc Shop Brisbane.

Web site for Smart VGA

http://www.yuan.com.tw/en/products/vga_9600xt.html

DA

How far to the right was it shifted? What appeared on the left hand side - was it blank or something else? You were using DVI, rather than VGA?

I've tried 3 different cards, all with exactly the same result - 2 ATIs and 1 NVidia...

How far to the right was it shifted? What appeared on the left hand side - was it blank or something else? You were using DVI, rather than VGA?

I've tried 3 different cards, all with exactly the same result - 2 ATIs and 1 NVidia...

Mine was missing about 4cms from right of the screen.. and on the left of the screen it was just all black.... on screen controls would move the picture over but wouldnt get it to totally move into the screen... so was still losing 2cm on the right and big black space on the left..

I was using VGA.. sorry but cant remember if your prob was vga or dvi...

Does sound weird that it wont work on either of your video cards.. quite possibly it is a dud then.... but very similar to the problem i had...

How is it when you run at a lower resolution on the card ?? lower than the native res of the screen...

Mine was missing about 4cms from right of the screen.. and on the left of the screen it was just all black.... on screen controls would move the picture over but wouldnt get it to totally move into the screen... so was still losing 2cm on the right and big black space on the left..

It's shifted by about 10cm to the right on mine, but the left hand portion isn't black - the rightmost column of pixels is smeared out on the left hand side.

I was using VGA.. sorry but cant remember if your prob was vga or dvi...

I'm using DVI. This sort of problem to a minor extent wouldn't surprise me with an analog connection such as VGA, but a digital connection _should_not_ have this problem...

Does sound weird that it wont work on either of your video cards.. quite possibly it is a dud then.... but very similar to the problem i had...

How is it when you run at a lower resolution on the card ?? lower than the native res of the screen...

At either 800x600 or 1024x768, the picture is fairly close to OK, although there is still a column or two of pixels on the left hand side that should be on the right hand side... Of course the picture is also blurred because the screen is no longer being fed a signal at its native resolution...

I've uploaded a picture of the problem here:

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=17120

Has anyone else got this screen running on a DVI connection???

Guys

I just call Big W in Forest Hill in Victoria. They tell me that it will on sale 8:30 tomorrow morning and there is no way that you can put one on hold.

Ren

They're on display at the QV store in the city right now - three boxex plus the display one. Looks quite good, allthough they were still setting it up when I went in. As someone earlier in the thread said, I have to keep reminding myself that it's only a bargain if you need one, and I don't have the space for one at the moment....

Cheers

Zed