NEW NEC HD Plasma

Why dont you ask your great mate Geoff at eHome to do something for you seems this unit is almost brand or is he one of these average so longs as the sales flood in he is all happy rolleyes

Now now, do you really think Geoff would put a second hand Plasma for sale as a new one. I think not.

Although Ive never bought anything from Geoff, I will in future as he helped me with a few things big time.

Although Glen is selling his Nec , Im still sticking with it as there is still no other plasma out there which comes close to the Nec.

eHome and Nec make a great combo.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why dont you ask your great mate Geoff at eHome to do something for you seems this unit is almost brand or is he one of these average so longs as the sales flood in he is all happy rolleyes

Now now, do you really think Geoff would put a second hand Plasma for sale as a new one. I think not.

Although Ive never bought anything from Geoff, I will in future as he helped me with a few things big time.

Although Glen is selling his Nec , Im still sticking with it as there is still no other plasma out there which comes close to the Nec.

Agreed

I am not selling the NEC bacause i am looking for something better that would be a life long task because as mentioned there is nothing

If anyone is in the market for a almost brand new NEC XM3W please PM me

I realise you want people to PM you Glen, at this stage do you have any takers?

Depending on the price, I will talk to my financier...

got a couple of bites but not confirmed as yet so who ever is in the market let us know

The Story is that this unit only has around the 100 hour mark now so it has not even been run in

And 100% 0 dead pixels

Hey glenncol

Why dont you ask your great mate Geoff at eHome to do something for you seems this unit is almost brand or is he one of these average so longs as the sales flood in he is all happy :blink:

Mate why dont you pull the plug on this forum as you offer nothing at all

Hi Matte

For starters I do not know about MCE 2005 - I am using DNTV Live and DIVCO software with a Samsung HD RPTV....before you stop there ...

In DVICO software I turned of DXVA due to choppy outcomes on some digital stations.

Personally I think MCE 2005 despite having nice features needs alot more work in its codec areas.

With DNTV Live with other codecs this choppiness is almost non-existent even 60Hz. If all tuned properly and when codecs are stable with HD/SD the only lack of smoothness of in fast pans scenes but virtually unnoticable.

I told you that choppiness can BE CAUSED by the codec letting you down. And maybe not the fault of the 60Hz.

I said clearly on another thread that VIA DVI from a HTPC the Samsung REPORTS 60Hz only.

In the Samsung using VGA I get incrementals from 50Hz through to 75Hz.

I believe then it is FIRMWARE related how it accepts form the DVI input.

In another case a LCD 66cm reports accurately to a HTPC ranges of 56Hz, 60hz and 75Hz.

Those are the facts. And unfortunately this firmware badly requires modification in maybe both display - your and mine - it not good when one manufacturer gets it right and the other cannot seem to fix the issue. I have been writing to Samsung for some time and it looks like a firmware upgrade may fix this as they problems with DVI HD STB's and DVI derived DVd players.

Go back to your maunfactuer and hit them with emails and phone calls. It is unacceptable that consumers are finding these lack of compliant Australian standards in there purchases. Surely the people behind the product has got some engineer who knows why DVI detection cannot allow 50Hz.

This same issue if you understand what I'm saying is no doubt related to the firmware.

The issue is two layers - DO NOT put your stuttering and judder issues all in the same basket.

DA

Hi Matte

For starters I do not know about MCE 2005 - I am using DNTV Live and DIVCO software with a Samsung HD RPTV....before you stop there ...

In DVICO software I turned of DXVA due to choppy outcomes on some digital stations.

Personally I think MCE 2005 despite having nice features needs alot more work in its codec areas.

With DNTV Live with other codecs this choppiness is almost non-existent even 60Hz. If all tuned properly and when codecs are stable with HD/SD the only lack of smoothness of in fast pans scenes but virtually unnoticable.

I told you that choppiness can BE CAUSED by the codec letting you down. And maybe not the fault of the 60Hz.

I said clearly on another thread that VIA DVI from a HTPC the Samsung REPORTS 60Hz only.

In the Samsung using VGA I get incrementals from 50Hz through to 75Hz.

I believe then it is FIRMWARE related how it accepts form the DVI input.

In another case a LCD 66cm reports accurately to a HTPC ranges of 56Hz, 60hz and 75Hz.

Those are the facts. And unfortunately this firmware badly requires modification in maybe both display - your and mine - it not good when one manufacturer gets it right and the other cannot seem to fix the issue. I have been writing to Samsung for some time and it looks like a firmware upgrade may fix this as they problems with DVI HD STB's and DVI derived DVd players.

Go back to your maunfactuer and hit them with emails and phone calls. It is unacceptable that consumers are finding these lack of compliant Australian standards in there purchases. Surely the people behind the product has got some engineer who knows why DVI detection cannot allow 50Hz.

This same issue if you understand what I'm saying is no doubt related to the firmware.

The issue is two layers - DO NOT put your stuttering and judder issues all in the same basket.

DA

Hey DA

Did you post to the right thread?

Hi glenncol

YES! Matte asked about stuttering on his NEC Plasma.

1. Most digital displays have simular DVI interfaces embedded in them.

2. The problems DIRECTLY relates to 60Hz and stutering causes.

3. Common: 60Hz problem, DVI input via HTPC, referring to digital panels.

4. Common to some DVI inputs on displays.

5. Plasma mainly testing and evaluating via HTPCs.

6. Scoped to digital displays only. ALL the same but not specific resolutions.

7. the difference between judder and stuttering - judder only 60Hz but hardly noticable.

8. Stuttering not same as judder.

9. Judder a frequency.

10. Stuttering fault in decoding.

NEC relevance very high.

NEC favoritism or bias LOW.

Plasma ownership: None

HTPC orientated question & tested (many hours) a few brands of Plasmas with HTPCs.

DA

Hi glenncol

YES! Matte asked about stuttering on his NEC Plasma.

1. Most digital displays have simular DVI interfaces embedded in them.

2. The problems DIRECTLY relates to 60Hz and stutering causes.

3. Common: 60Hz problem, DVI input via HTPC, referring to digital panels.

4. Common to some DVI inputs on displays.

5. Plasma mainly testing and evaluating via HTPCs.

6. Scoped to digital displays only. ALL the same but not specific resolutions.

7. the difference between judder and stuttering - judder only 60Hz but hardly noticable.

8. Stuttering not same as judder.

9. Judder a frequency.

10. Stuttering fault in decoding.

NEC relevance very high.

NEC favoritism or bias LOW.

Plasma ownership: None

HTPC orientated question & tested (many hours) a few brands of Plasmas with HTPCs.

DA

Sorry dude

I seen MCE mentioned must have missed something

Agreed

I am not selling the NEC bacause i am looking for something better that would be a life long task because as mentioned there is nothing

Glenn there is a new forum member looking for a 41" NEC on this forum. You might like to talk to him about yours.

Still tampering with my settings in search of the perfect picture. 'Matte' put me onto this one, and I am interested to know if anyone else is using this setting.

In DVI setup, I have mine set to STB/TV which defaults blacks to High. He has his set to PC which defaults the blacks to low, because it gives better skin tones. I tried this and he's right, however I have noticed some minor solarisation (Service Menu set to 60hz).

Anyone else using the 'Low' black setting and if so, what results?

What an informative forum thread! I've had the NEC 50" 50XM4 (black/commercial model) since late last year & found the PQ excellent! However, using a universal remote control (HP iPAQ Pocket PC with NEVO Home Control software) can't find any remote codes to directly select a particular input. e.g. want to have a remote button to directly select VIDEO1/2/3. Can easily "learn" the button off the original remote but that only "cycles" thru V1, 2 & 3. Same problem for the DVD/HD button and RGB/PC input butoon. Read here somewhere that the 50XR3 (silver/retail model) has a different remote that has seperate direct buttons for each input? Is this true? If so, does anyone know how to email NEVO or other file to add these direct buttons?

Have a look for the IR codes for the 50XR4 - this is the Silver version...

However the remote for the silver version has like 9 buttons on it for direct input selection...

I have used these codes succesfully on my 50XM4...

Matt Eastburn

Re: DVI

I connected my Dell notebook to the NEC 42" via DVI and it could not scale the image correctly at any resolution. It's too big.

When connecting via VGA, it rescaled and displayed at 1024 x 768 perfectly.

The notebook's default resolution is 1440 x 900.

Is there anything I can do about this?

If i were you i would try and use your PLASMA as a second monitor when you connect it with your laptop - then you can choose almost any res you want (probably limited to 1600x1200 by the laptop).

If you are using XP on your DELL then all you need to do is go into display via the Control Panel then click on Settings TAB and you should be able to select the 2nd monitor then there is a check box under that saying extend my desktop (or something close to that).

Am i explaining myself clearly enough... I have the 50in so i am not to sure what the 42in supports, i know the native res is 1024x768 - but if you left it at that then the image would probably looked stretched - i would try 1360x768.

Matt E

I posted my NEC calibrations on a post on this forum however have had no replies to it, and in case it just gets lost, I am attaching a link here, in case anyone ever wants to try them.

I think you will be totally amazed if you do. Best I've seen and probably pretty close to a professional calibration (which it is not).

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=16190

Regards,

Sean.

• 2 weeks later...

I have just bought the Nec 42in SD panel. I have also bought a teac HD box, its output on Svideo is excellent, but on DVI it gives has a very bad shimmering effect.

My Strong 5390is connected via scart to RGB converter then RGB to BCN x 5 cable. Its picture is crystal clear, I am very happy with it.

My plan was to put foxtel on the scart and move the strong to Svideo, but I need to fix the teac/dvi shimmerring.

Can anyone help?

peter

• 1 month later...

• 3 months later...

Has anyone noticed the upcoming NEC 42XR4 model (shipping Nov 2005)?

http://www.necvisualsystems.com/applicatio...?Product_id=478

or http://www.necvisualsystems.com/corpus/P/O/NEC080534.pdf

I noted:

2 x HDMI inputs - No more DVI

Different pixel pitch [square]

Anti Reflective front filter [screen]

PiP

Improved brightness and contrast

1080p support

Interested to see if Glenncol and loyal followers jump onto this unit when it's released :blink:

the specs look great - wonder if they are going to release more technical details? the brochure is pretty high level.

Regards,

Marcelo

I like the looks of the minimilist black bezel. wonder what the stand and speakers and remote look like ?

yes not much info is there ?

Is this a nec sole effort or a pioneer colaboration

• 3 weeks later...

So here we are in Oct '05.

I read the first 11 or 12 pages of this thread, thought 'wow this is a long thread', noticed it was 70+ pages long and then jumped straight here!

I have an opportunity to buy the NEC at a great price (42 or 50) so I have a question for all you die hard NEC affectionados - after a year or so on the market, how well does it stack up against the current competition?

After much reading and much auditioning I believe the NEC will be just fine for me but I guess I want to make sure I havent missed the latest and greatest of something (not too worried about any new models at the end of the year either).

Anyone care to make me feel better about parting with my hard earned cash?

Also got to admit, although I went into this prepared for a 50", the price on the 42" high definition is pretty hard to pass up...