Show us your Turntables!!!

3 hours ago, PKay said:

What speakers are those? Great to have speakers that work in modern home environments. 

Jim  Rogers was responsible for these using the ls3/5a drivers but in a significantly different cabinet. I listen to a pair every time I turn on the tv.

4 minutes ago, t_mike said:

Shed system, or just lying around? If it's the latter, let me know if you want to move them on (by PM).

Somehow I can’t see anyone owning these speakers moving them on. I’m next in line if they do. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, t_mike said:

That is correct. A better sounding version at that. They aren't modern though, made in the mid 80's.

They look fantastic. I would think if  @guruis using them at home they would be excellent sounding as well.

Edited by PKay
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, PKay said:

They look fantastic. I would think if  @guruis using them at home they would be excellent sounding as well.

I think you have to appreciate that speakers of this nature were used as a broadcast monitoring device principally based on reproducing speech and the vocal range as naturally as possible. They are not for everything but what they do, they do exceptionally well.

Fabulous midrange speaker, as a well respected audio guru told me once “we live in the midrange” They’re great for vocals, not just broadcast but most types of song. Add a quality sub if that’s your thing too, JR made a cylindrical one to match that sadly I don’t have.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well it only took five months since purchasing the Oracle Delphi back in March down in Sydney to finally get it up here and then get it assembled and properly set up with the Kiseki Blue cart. Anyway it's now done and a big thank you to Andy at Lenehan Audio for putting it all together for me, so about three hours ago I unplugged the DP-60L from the RCM Sensor Prelude and plugged in the Delphi and have been sitting here listening ever since to some of my favourite albums and I can say even though the cart is new and I have not yet changed any settings in the phono stage I am still very impressed.

My plan is to keep it plugged into the RCM for the next week or so then I'll swap the RCM with TRON SEVEN and see how the two phono stages compare in my system.

As per usual apologies in advance for the crappy pictures that I take.

cheers Terry

image.jpeg

Edited by TerryO
  • Like 10

11 minutes ago, Happy said:

@TerryO kiseki, which would be ‘miracle’ in Japanese, is such a cool name phonetically. I was terribly interested in that cart once.

Well David if you want to jump on a big silver bird and fly up here you are more than welcome to stay at our place and help me wear out the Kiseki playing records anytime you like. 

cheers Terry

Edited by TerryO
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TerryO said:

Well it only took five months since purchasing the Oracle Delphi back in March down in Sydney to finally get it up here and then get it assembled and properly set up with the Kiseki Blue cart. Anyway it's now done and a big thank you to Andy at Lenehan Audio for putting it all together for me, so about three hours ago I unplugged the DP-60L from the RCM Sensor Prelude and plugged in the Delphi and have been sitting here listening ever since to some of my favourite albums and I can say even though the cart is new and I have not yet changed any settings in the phono stage I am still very impressed.

My plan is to keep it plugged into the RCM for the next week or so then I'll swap the RCM with TRON SEVEN and see how the two phono stages compare in my system.

As per usual apologies in advance for the crappy pictures that I take.

cheers Terry

image.jpeg

Great TT and cart!  :thumb:

My only comment is ... maybe you should figure out the optimal loading for the Kiseki with the RCM Sensor Prelude, before changing over to the TRON SEVEN.

Andy

14 minutes ago, andyr said:

Great TT and cart!  :thumb:

My only comment is ... maybe you should figure out the optimal loading for the Kiseki with the RCM Sensor Prelude, before changing over to the TRON SEVEN.

Andy

Thanks Andy, yes that is what I am planning on doing this week, once I have a setting that I am happy with then I'll give the SEVEN a go.

cheers Terry

Edited by TerryO

19 minutes ago, TerryO said:

Thanks Andy, yes that is what I am planning on doing this week, once I have a setting that I am happy with then I'll give the SEVEN a go.

cheers Terry

I'm interested to know what load options the RCM offers, Terry.

Why I'm interested is that I spent a few hours this afternoon with someone who has a wonderful tube MM/MC phono stage ... but it only offers 100/255/470 ohms loading for MCs.  The specs for his cart say "minimum 470 ohms" - so one might think that selecting this load on his phono stage was all there was to it.

But I bought over my head amp, so we could use this to feed the MM side of his phono stage.  The head amp allows 'loaded' plugs to be used, to set cart loading to anything up to 47K.  We first tried it out with 470 ohm load plugs (the same as the MC side of his phono stage) ... and the sound was the same (as it should be!  :) ).

But then we changed the load plugs to 4,700 ohms.  We could both clearly hear the increase in air in the soundstage.

IOW, using a headamp which offers completely variable loading, into the MM side of his phono stage, sounded better than using the highest available loading option on the MC side of his phono stage (470 ohm).

I mention this simply to ask ... does the RCM offer you enough loading options for the Kiseki?

Andy

I run my Kiseki Blue NS at 840 ohms, in preference to 470 or 1000 ohms.

Generally, I find the higher loading does give "air" but at the expense of bass solidity.

Some carts l prefer wide open at 47K Ohms (or above), others just wallow at this setting.

21 minutes ago, Citroen said:

Good for Terry to know.  :thumb:  But does his RCM offer this value?

Generally, I find the higher loading does give "air" but at the expense of bass solidity.

Absolutely!  :)

Some carts l prefer wide open at 47K Ohms (or above), others just wallow at this setting.

None of the MC carts I've owned since I started to care about loading have liked 47K.  I found it interesting when I owned a Benz LP that Mr Lucaschek (Benz owner)'s phono stage only offers 47K - as he says this is the best sound.  In my system, I found 47K lost control of the bass, when playing my reggae records.  :(

Andy

7 minutes ago, andyr said:

Good for Terry to know.  :thumb:  But does his RCM offer this value?

Absolutely!  :)

None of the MC carts I've owned since I started to care about loading have liked 47K.  I found it interesting when I owned a Benz LP that Mr Lucaschek (Benz owner)'s phono stage only offers 47K - as he says this is the best sound.  In my system, I found 47K lost control of the bass, when playing my reggae records.  :(

Andy

since u dont appear to have deviated from the historic loading obsession, i did the research for u mate:

The $2995 (or, as reviewed, $3695 with Furutech upgrades) solid-state Prelude IC offers both RCA and XLR outputs, RCA inputs, has 7 steps of gain from 52-76 dB, resistive loading of 20, 50, 200, 400, 1000, and 47k Ohms*, and a very low signal-to-noise ratio of 85 dB at the 52 dB gain setting. All settings are easily accessible, which is how all phono stages should be designed. The preamplifier is housed in a separate enclosure from the power supply and both units are well made and substantial. I listened to both XLR and RCA outputs and preferred the RCA connections.

49 minutes ago, Happy said:

since u dont appear to have deviated from the historic loading obsession, i did the research for u mate:

Thank you, H.  :thumb:

But Citroen said:

1 hour ago, Citroen said:

So, yes, 840 ohms load can be had - but Terry will need to use a 'T'-connector and some loaded plugs, to get it, with the RCM:

• an 855 ohm res in the plugs (which is not a std value - you can buy 845 & 866 ohms), if using the 47K load setting, or
  • a 5,230 ohm res (which you can buy), if using the 1K setting.

Obviously Citroen bothered to go through some extensive testing, to end up with an 840 ohms loading.  So I'm not the only one who understands cart loading is important!  :na:

Andy

5 minutes ago, andyr said:

Thank you, H.  :thumb:

But Citroen said:

So, yes, 840 ohms load can be had - but Terry will need to use a 'T'-connector and some loaded plugs, to get it, with the RCM:

• an 855 ohm res in the plugs (which is not a std value - you can buy 845 & 866 ohms), if using the 47K load setting, or
  • a 5,230 ohm res (which you can buy), if using the 1K setting.

Obviously Citroen bothered to go through some extensive testing, to end up with an 840 ohms loading.  So I'm not the only one who understands cart loading is important!  :na:

Andy

That’s his preference mate. Doesn’t need to be the golden standard. 

You don’t just understand the loading importance you’re plain obsessed :P not that obsession is strange in this hobby though. 

• Like 1