Matching a Cartridge to My Arm

Thanks for posting this.
If the compliance is listed as 5x10-6cm/dyne at 100Hz how do you make adjustment to use in this formula?

A phono cartridge whose compliance is rated at 12 x l0?6 or below, is considered low compliance. A cartridge whose compliance is rated between 13 x l0?6 and 25 x l0?6 is considered high to very high. Note: Another way of expressing compliance is um/mN. Here a rating of 5 to 10 is considered very low, 10 to 20 is moderate and above 35 is very high.

So the compliance of the cart in your example is 5.
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, DoggieHowser said:

Sound wise - yes it is a matter of taste, but when it comes to turntables, physics matters, hence the resonant frequency calculator. You do need to check the compliance of the cart vis a vis the effective mass of the tonearm/cart combo to make sure. 

Sorry Doggie, I didn't make it clear,....I was referring specifically to the Q of imped loading.

Cheers, Owen

http://darklanternforowen.wordpress.com/

Chaps,

Cartr-tonearm Resonant Freq:

I have used various calculators (there are convenient ones online), but as usually the case, a pic is worth a 1,000 words:

(Saves doing the maths (just add a gram or so for mounting hardware, to your cartr mass.))

As Doggie sez, conventional wisdom is that you want to end up in the 8-12Hz region.

(Lower is better than higher, IMHO - as indicated by this Ortofon graph.)

As said, it's not a right/wrong thing, there are variables involved.

Cheers, Owen

resonance-frequency.png

Edited by Owen Y
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Edd said:

Thanks for posting this.

If the compliance is listed as 5x10-6cm/dyne at 100Hz how do you make adjustment to use in this formula?

Chaps, 

Traditionally, Jap cartr manufs quote compliance @ 100Hz.

At 10Hz (which is the region of resonant freq that interests us), compliance tends to be higher. There is not a universal straight conversion, but around 1.75 - 2.25x.

eg. the above 5cu @ 100Hz, might be more like 9-10cu @ 10Hz - for res freq calc purposes.

Taking the OP's Hana SL cart, compliance 20cu @ 10Hz & RB300 tonearm Eff Mass 11.5gm + say 6gm cart/screws......

Referring to the above graph, we see Res Freq at 8+Hz - pretty good.

Always bear in mind that this technical stuff is a guideline only, there are variables.

eg. Tonearm Eff Mass will vary depending on say....

(i) positioning of the arm counterweight, distance from the arm pivot - moving it closer will reduce Eff Mass, many tonearms have posiioning adjustment of +/- 10mm or more, which will increase/decrease Eff Mass.

(ii) positioning of the cartridge in the h'shell slots - changes Eff Length & Eff Mass - a little.

Cheers, Owen

• Like 2