Testing Phono Stages

On 2/21/2017 at 0:56 PM, initforthemusic said:

I set up a PHO-8 and a Debut Carbon for a mate a couple of years ago. He loves it. Sounds quite good. The PHO-8 is definitely good enough to accomodate better decks. Like most Vincent products it will compete with products costing much more. So I can recommend a PHO-8 but can't help you at all re. comparison with the Luxman. Personally if you are going to upgrade your deck I'd look at a quality 2nd hand deck for not much more than a new P3 (might fluke an older Sota, VPI or Well Tempered?), far superior sounding than a P3.

Still keen to audition a PHO-700 to hear how it compares to some of my Phono stages.

Just know PHO-700 is quite warm sounding phono. Since it is not a pure tube phono it is a solid stage phono (opamp based) with tube output buffer. The tube is used to color the sound rather than for amplification. I personally found it is too warm especially if you roll with tube with warmer sound signature. Not my cup of tea but some seems to like it

On 01/03/2017 at 4:36 PM, Wimbo said:

Ordered. I should have it middle of next week.

Will have a listen and let you know. Payed $340 for it. Good money spent.

Got the Vincent PHO8 today. Plugged it in straight away and bed it in for 4 hours.

System I have atm is a Music Hall MMF9 with the alloy headshell.( Not impressed with the Project full carbon arms) I use the external Project regulated Speed selector and got rid of the inbuilt one. isolation is slightly modified thanks to the hemisphere isolation pucks melting between plinths.

Actually from memory this improves it. Around 1mm distance between each plinth.Cartridge is a AT95VL.

Marantz PM4 amp running 15 watts Class A Continuous :thumb:.

Speakers are JBL 4301B's in mint condition.( Thanks to Besty22. Lovely bloke).

Soundstyle 4 pillar 500 mm high stands,(Spiked top and bottom). Original Flatline biwired cables (2 metre) running  2 to 2( so shorted to stereo) and an old Timbre Accoustics mains filter. (Very good).

Interconnects are crap. What is supplied with the table and a $20 half metre cable between table and phono.

The Marantz PM4's phono stage has a good rep btw.

I'm using an abandoned bedroom (Youngest moved out) thats  3.5 X 3.5 and live. Not echoing.

I've been listening and demoing HIFI since 82, so I'm pretty cluey critically. I played Neil Youngs 'Out on the weekend'. Difference's were what I thought they'd be relative to what has been said about the Vincent Phono stage. Lower noise floor creating better dynamics which gives you more low level detail. I play harmonica (kinda:P) and Young's harmonica on the Vincent was sooo much more detailed then the Marantz.I noticed also that higher sound levels were less distorted and well controlled.

This means that later this arvo I'll be getting some Led Zep out and Rocking hard.

Well recommended.

• Like 3