Best Stylus Cleaner To Get

On my wishlist for christmas is a good quality stylus cleaner, and I was thinking towards the Ultrasonic cleaner..

https://www.musicdirect.com/analog-accessories/flux-hifi-sonic-electronic-stylus-cleaner This is one thing i've found, and I don't mind spending a few bikkies as it should be the only one I have to buy..

Just wondering if anyone has feedback either on this particular unit, or if theres a better recommendation in terms of doing a better job, and less damaging to the stylus. Cost is not the main issue, I just want to get the best (up to about $150-200)

Cheers as always.

The Onzow Zero Dust works well for me. I have an antique Audio Technica 637 that gets used occasionally, and Linn green paper that gets used even less often but the Onzow gets used each LP. It's really easy and safe to use.

Greg

p.s.--I haven't examined the stylus under a decent microscope so I don't know which one does the best job.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Gremrock said:

On my wishlist for christmas is a good quality stylus cleaner, and I was thinking towards the Ultrasonic cleaner..

https://www.musicdirect.com/analog-accessories/flux-hifi-sonic-electronic-stylus-cleaner This is one thing i've found, and I don't mind spending a few bikkies as it should be the only one I have to buy..

Just wondering if anyone has feedback either on this particular unit, or if theres a better recommendation in terms of doing a better job, and less damaging to the stylus. Cost is not the main issue, I just want to get the best (up to about $150-200)

Cheers as always.

That looks like a good unit.  It may be your only option for an ultrasonic cleaning machine as the Ortofon unit which I have is long unavailable.  As, I suspect, is the AT unit Greg mentioned.

Re. the Onzow ZeroDust:

*  I bought one at least a decade ago as it promised to be more convenient than the US cleaner.  (I only used the Ortofon US cleaner once a session, whereas i used the ZeroDust before each side.)

*  However, I recently sent my Benz LP over to NWA in the UK, for a re-tip.  When they got it, they reported that there was an "oily film" over the coils (up inside the wooden body).  The only way that could've got there IMO is if - especially over summer - the gel which the ZeroDust is made from exudes an oily gas which rises up onto the coils, when you hold it up to the stylus.  So I don't use mine any more.

*  But there is a later version of the ZeroDust out which may be made of a different material and so won't do what mine does.  (My ZeroDust you can take out of its case - the new one, you can't.)

So I would say - buy the US cleaner from Music Direct.  :thumb:

Andy

Edited by andyr
bullet point facility doesn't work.

"The service life of the needle increases due to less abrasion."

One could only imagine that this would also be the case of the vinyl it runs in. As long as it isn't prone to shaking a stylus off the cantilever, it sounds the goods to me.

16 hours ago, Steve100 said:

Lyra SPT fluid is excellent.  

Cheers,

Steve

5 hours ago, Krispy Audio said:

Onzow every record side. It's no good if the dirt has had time to cure on the stylus.

Not to sure about SPT...

Been using it as directed on my Kandid and a small "crud ball" appeared on the stylus which required the use of more SPT to remove this....:wacko:

Never have had this problem or issue before, and the fact you have to "draw" the brush in the same direction as the record plays i.e. clockwise seems odd, surely a more effective way of removing crud would be to

"draw' the stylus cleaning brush in an anti-clockwise direction....and the price of the stuff.....:wacko::wacko:

I have a selection of cleaning solutions and implements including Onzow so now i use what when i think its needed....;)

Tase.

4 hours ago, Tasebass said:

I have a selection of cleaning solutions and implements including Onzow so now i use what when i think its needed....;)

Tase.

PTT, Tase, and do yourself a favour ... get an ultrasonic stylus cleaner like the brands mentioned in this thread.  :thumb:

Andy

50 minutes ago, andyr said:

PTT, Tase, and do yourself a favour ... get an ultrasonic stylus cleaner like the brands mentioned in this thread.  :thumb:

Andy

have an AT637 ......there not recommended by DV....

I'll stick to my own methods...

Tase

32 minutes ago, Metamatic said:

:)@andyr   you sure that crud is not from the Last spray stuff you use? 

Aaah, you are confooosed, Shane.  :P  I don't use Last - given my bad experience with a ZeroDust, I no longer use it ... so before and after each side I now use a stylus brush (dry) and every now and again I use my Ortofon US cleaner.

Not ideal, I agree - but I am searching for something to replace the ZeroDust as the regular clean.  Linn 'green sandpaper' is not an option!  :D

Andy

4 minutes ago, Jakeyb77 said:

Can one hold just the tip of the cantilever in a US Record cleaner and if so what fluid could one use? 

Have a look at the links on this thread and the pics of an ultrasonic stylus cleaner, Jake.  A totally different animal to an ultrasonic LP cleaner.

The US stylus cleaner has a bristle-pad that you rest the stylus on; ideally, you put a drop of alcohol (IPA) on the pad, first.

Andy

11 minutes ago, bzr said:

I used to use one of these. Did a marvelous job & very good for keeping the neighbor in the loop for the next album change.

Airhorn.jpg

Great tip from Krispy Audio that one..

Would clear the ears as well!

• Like 1