Yamaha NS-1000 best speaker stands poll

Yamaha NS-1000 best speaker stands poll  

58 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

IMG_0370.thumb.JPG.adebade331a5e2f499fa19ce19afcf53.JPGIMG_0365.thumb.JPG.675bb11133d58812817c170dedf5618b.JPG

On 20/06/2019 at 8:36 PM, Willmax said:

Well done @THOMO looks great and appears really well made - I think I'd still prefer their vintage designs though.

As a furniture designer I can't agree.

I considered all the suggested and established designs as well as my first design posted here and feel the NS5000 type is the most elegant design.

image.png.2baadc094af735545a50e14725c549de.png

Edited by THOMO
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi there people of stereonet
Ive been in the steel industry for 20 years building people beautiful hand crafted wrought iron. This time it was my turn. 1st photo Ns1000m stands...built from thick 50x50 shs with 50x25 cross section top and bottom. Angled slighty back say 5 to 10 degree. Weighs a tonne. Then sandblasted. Primed. And top coated. My brother is also in on it. His design is slightly different. 2nd photo. Built from thick 25x25 shs floating design slightly angled also. To accomidate elegant ns500ma that are very rare havent seen another pair for ages. Also to match a very solid hifi table for only a few dedicated pieces. Merbau wood for shelves that are recessed into the frame. 3rd photo. My next project is music notes wall art to go above my hifi system. Not quite finished yet needs the finishing touches. 4th photo. Cheers. Glad to add to the thread.20190315_204100.jpegResized_20190216_075854_1609_1550377116320.jpeg20190319_141115.jpeg20191022_155104.jpeg

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...
On 30/10/2019 at 8:08 PM, Addz said:

Hi there people of stereonet
Ive been in the steel industry for 20 years building people beautiful hand crafted wrought iron. This time it was my turn. 1st photo Ns1000m stands...built from thick 50x50 shs with 50x25 cross section top and bottom. Angled slighty back say 5 to 10 degree. Weighs a tonne. Then sandblasted. Primed. And top coated. My brother is also in on it. His design is slightly different. 2nd photo. Built from thick 25x25 shs floating design slightly angled also. To accomidate elegant ns500ma that are very rare havent seen another pair for ages. Also to match a very solid hifi table for only a few dedicated pieces. Merbau wood for shelves that are recessed into the frame. 3rd photo. My next project is music notes wall art to go above my hifi system. Not quite finished yet needs the finishing touches. 4th photo. Cheers. Glad to add to the thread.20190315_204100.jpegResized_20190216_075854_1609_1550377116320.jpeg20190319_141115.jpeg20191022_155104.jpeg

Work of Art!

• 4 months later...
53 minutes ago, kamielcat said:

Do you know if these are still available at all?

I think they would make them for you. Being Kenrick Sound they would be thousands. Cheaper to build them yourself or commission someone local to.

• Like 3

• 2 years later...
8 hours ago, Willmax said:

Does anyone here know who made these incredibly good looking NS1000 stands? 

E6ADB29B-39B3-4DA6-8CE1-BBC1047E491B.thumb.jpeg.59c7742bcdc906802f885d4bcc123d90.jpeg.20c0c85a2303d3fd1674cf69cfef19b5.jpeg

377174AA-33F6-4CEE-9DBE-8C151F7470A1.thumb.jpeg.9d25e3910e8bb17fa7ecc6aa5ccd6f6c.jpeg.bfabd2d67215744627cc044731d508a1.jpeg

I do not know but that tenon joint where the rail goes into the legs is pretty tricky.I am guessing it was either hand cut with perhaps most waste material drilled out  or done using a custom built routing jig.And if a jig was used  a fair bit of labour just making that.Either way there would be a fair bit of chisel work involved to finish it off.A nice joint though.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, THOMO said:

I do not know but that tenon joint where the rail goes into the legs is pretty tricky.I am guessing it was either hand cut with perhaps most waste material drilled out  or done using a custom built routing jig.And if a jig was used  a fair bit of labour just making that.Either way there would be a fair bit of chisel work involved to finish it off.A nice joint though.

Thanks @THOMO I seem to vaguely remember these posted on a thread here on SNA, which one specifically I'm not sure. So I'm hoping someone will see the pictures and be able to point it out for me. The level of craftsmenship really stands out, it must be tricky to keep all legs level/square as well I'd imagine, any idea of what timber it may be?

• 3 months later...
On 18/06/2019 at 11:59 AM, THOMO said:

I built these stands based on the new NS5000 design in solid ebonised jarrah .

I built a few extra pairs if anybody wants a pair .See the classified ad section if you would like more information.

IMG_0370.JPG

IMG_0363.JPG

I have made a few more of these if anybody is wanting some.

They are the same as in these photos .

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 30/11/2022 at 5:24 PM, THOMO said:

I have made a few more of these if anybody is wanting some.

They are the same as in these photos .

Hi @THOMO I have recently purchased a set of NS1000m's and they came with a set of legs that look to be the ones you have made. Nice work on them, and a nice tight fitting centre joint.

Although, looking at your photo's it appears I have them upside down!

This was the set that had some damage on one of the legs where the centre screw holds it all together. This screw doesn't appear to take any weight so I now have my speakers on them and they feel good, I might flip them over though!

Cheers,

Russ

EC7E46AC-F178-4918-8A60-950AB969064C.jpeg

Edited by Rustee

Rustee,  Yes they can be used that way if you prefer.

A shame they were damaged in transport but at least the way they are constructed with that housing joint they are easy to reglue .At least the joint itself stood up to the abuse which is the advantage with. halving,mortise and tenon and dovetail joints.Hard to imagine what the couriers did to cause that sort of damage and from my experience they will rarely pay for the damage they do .Even if they completely destroyed one they would only offer to compensate you for the damage done to one so for anything used in pairs that is useless.Once they managed to put a forklift fork right through a box containing two pairs of different woofers and destroyed one of each and then refused to pay compensation for the undamaged ones despite knowing full well they were to be used in pairs.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Rustee said:

Hi @THOMO I have recently purchased a set of NS1000m's and they came with a set of legs that look to be the ones you have made. Nice work on them, and a nice tight fitting centre joint.

Although, looking at your photo's it appears I have them upside down!

This was the set that had some damage on one of the legs where the centre screw holds it all together. This screw doesn't appear to take any weight so I now have my speakers on them and they feel good, I might flip them over though!

Cheers,

Russ

EC7E46AC-F178-4918-8A60-950AB969064C.jpeg

My old friends. 😭

To clarify @Rustee those stands I threw in with the NS1000Ms are indeed @THOMO stands. I never got around to fixing them after the courier damaged the dicky one (I was a bit sulky at the time, from memory), but I'm glad you were able to get them to hold together nicely. Looking good! And in a much nicer space than I was able to provide for them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cope said:

Also, have you purposefully turned the mids down on the speakers? No judgement - I have to say, the whole time I had them I never thought to play with the L-Pads. 😂

Yep I have been playing around with the attenuators to see what sounds best in my room/system. 

1 hour ago, Cope said:

I never got around to fixing them

The damage wasn't major and not in a weight bearing part of the stand, they are holding together quite nicely with the very nice joint that @THOMO  made. The hardwood construction is also very nice and adds strength.

But I will end up gluing them for the added strength and rigidity.

1 hour ago, Cope said:

Looking good! And in a much nicer space than I was able to provide for them.

Thanks they sound nice, a little lighter on the bass at lower volumes than I am used to, but I will give them time. Once you give them some juice, the 12" driver really lets you know its there.

Edited by Rustee

1 hour ago, THOMO said:

Rustee,  Yes they can be used that way if you prefer.

A shame they were damaged in transport but at least the way they are constructed with that housing joint they are easy to reglue .At least the joint itself stood up to the abuse which is the advantage with. halving,mortise and tenon and dovetail joints

I think I will flip them over, at least the nice joint can be seen then. Yes must have been knocked pretty hard but they stood up well as you say, a testament to your work :thumb:

I will glue them which will add that extra bit of strength.

1 hour ago, THOMO said:

Once they managed to put a forklift fork right through a box containing two pairs of different woofers and destroyed one of each

wow that is absolutely shocking, very little care is taken by some people.

22 minutes ago, Rustee said:

Yep I have been playing around with the attenuators to see what sounds best in my room/system. 

Makes total sense - it's what they're there for. 😊 I just remember your mate testing them and wasn't sure if he'd returned them to the 0dB position.

22 minutes ago, Rustee said:

Thanks they sound nice, a little lighter on the bass than I am used to, but I will give them time

Yeah, my room being less open and heavily carpeted probably made them sound a bit fuller in that area. A lot of people seem to find happiness throwing a sub into the mix, from the impressions I've read here and elsewhere.

Sorry, dragging this thread off topic.

Edited by Cope
  • Like 1