Cambridge audio Azur 740A

• 6 months later...

This bs saga continues.

After sitting on the shelf for several months, I had a chance to have another look at it.

Well.

It didn't like sitting there. It now refuses to work for more than a few minutes even with nothing other than power connected.

As soon as I put a dmm on the speaker terminals, it trips out. Every 'error' under the sun.

From overheat to dc to shorted leads. It really has lost its mind.

Because the protection system all feeds back and forth from a pic ic on the front panel board, We (Myself and owner) decided to take a gamble on a new board.

I ordered a new front board assembly from the Aus agent, they in turn ordered a new board from CA england (so I'm lead to believe anyway. England that is).

Several weeks later I get a box that contains. TWO boards. Both the same part. Both, second hand. I would guess they are supposed to be 'refurbished'. Did I say I thought I'd ordered one new board ?

The paper work says I ordered one board. Only got charged for one. No mention of second hand or refurbished.

I gave them both a look over before even reopening the unit.

Glad I did.

I cannot, will not, even contemplate using either board.

I sent the Aus agent an email 4-4-16 with my concerns and photos.

They assure me they asked for a new board, so are at a loss to explain whats going on and that they would email ca to find out whats going on.

I sent a follow up enquiry 14-4-16.

I have yet to receive any reply other than the gent I've been dealing with is out of the office until early may, and that someone else is handling things.

But wait, can no one send an email ? maybe they have, maybe they've received a reply, I have no idea.

This is all absolute bs.

Please, tell me, as a consumer, that you would accept either of these parts to repair your unit......................

Unit still with original board in place. With the TWO boards sent to me.

post-106429-0-98811900-1461112241_thumb.

post-106429-0-71777000-1461112251_thumb.

One board has obviously been worked on. Under the flood of epoxy you can see its had several tracks destroyed, and bodged with a bit of wire. Badly.

In all the places I've worked, I'd get fired for that sort of half arsed rubbish.

post-106429-0-40063400-1461112260_thumb.

post-106429-0-16032100-1461112269_thumb.

post-106429-0-92564200-1461112293_thumb.

The second board, well, whats it's story ? new, second hand, salvaged from the skip ? At least the first board doesn't have glue all over the connectors.................

post-106429-0-50072200-1461112277_thumb.

So far the Aus agent has been really good to deal with.

Well, up until I hear nothing about whats happening.

It's now wearing very thin. Thats why I'm posting this.

As a warning to anyone contemplating a ca purchase.

Don't forget, ca is owned by 'audio partners' who own a string of brands, not just ca.

• Like 1

This bs saga continues.

After sitting on the shelf for several months, I had a chance to have another look at it.

Well.

It didn't like sitting there. It now refuses to work for more than a few minutes even with nothing other than power connected.

As soon as I put a dmm on the speaker terminals, it trips out. Every 'error' under the sun.

From overheat to dc to shorted leads. It really has lost its mind.

Because the protection system all feeds back and forth from a pic ic on the front panel board, We (Myself and owner) decided to take a gamble on a new board.

I ordered a new front board assembly from the Aus agent, they in turn ordered a new board from CA england (so I'm lead to believe anyway. England that is).

Several weeks later I get a box that contains. TWO boards. Both the same part. Both, second hand. I would guess they are supposed to be 'refurbished'. Did I say I thought I'd ordered one new board ?

The paper work says I ordered one board. Only got charged for one. No mention of second hand or refurbished.

I gave them both a look over before even reopening the unit.

Glad I did.

I cannot, will not, even contemplate using either board.

I sent the Aus agent an email 4-4-16 with my concerns and photos.

They assure me they asked for a new board, so are at a loss to explain whats going on and that they would email ca to find out whats going on.

I sent a follow up enquiry 14-4-16.

I have yet to receive any reply other than the gent I've been dealing with is out of the office until early may, and that someone else is handling things.

But wait, can no one send an email ? maybe they have, maybe they've received a reply, I have no idea.

This is all absolute bs.

Please, tell me, as a consumer, that you would accept either of these parts to repair your unit......................

Unit still with original board in place. With the TWO boards sent to me.

attachicon.gifboards.jpg

attachicon.gifboards2.jpg

One board has obviously been worked on. Under the flood of epoxy you can see its had several tracks destroyed, and bodged with a bit of wire. Badly.

In all the places I've worked, I'd get fired for that sort of half arsed rubbish.

attachicon.gifbodge 1.jpg

attachicon.gifbodge 2.jpg

attachicon.gifbodge 3.jpg

The second board, well, whats it's story ? new, second hand, salvaged from the skip ? At least the first board doesn't have glue all over the connectors.................

attachicon.gifsecond hand.jpg

So far the Aus agent has been really good to deal with.

Well, up until I hear nothing about whats happening.

It's now wearing very thin. Thats why I'm posting this.

As a warning to anyone contemplating a ca purchase.

Don't forget, ca is owned by 'audio partners' who own a string of brands, not just ca.

C204 on the second board looks to have been touched with an iron :unsure:

Must have been pulled, otherwise why the glue.

I'd also like to add that the "approved Cambridge Audio warranty agent" in Queensland - AV Digitech at Underwood were completely useless in their attempts to initially repair the Azur 740A.

They refused to come to the party when the amplifier refused to fire up for the first time after they had repaired it as their 90 day warranty had expired (I had left the amplifier, still in it's plastic shrinkwrap, on the shelf for five months after they had "repaired" it.

For anyone contemplating purchasing any cambridge audio product. DON'T.

Those Cambridge (and Arcam) units have similar squashed together internals so servicing is a PITA, I just throw them out and don't bother fixing them.

…

Which is why when these sort of units go back to Cambridge for repairs, they just throw out the bad modular boards and fit in new ones.

Deep down I'm disappointed. Higher up I have to understand that not everything can be fixed. Economically.

I had an 840A die on me. I took it to the authorised service agent for repairs. They decided that some major board needed to be replaced. They also suggested that the board and labour would add up to more than the value of the unit.

Economic write-off. I won't buy Cambridge Audio again.

I don't have either :(

Me either.

Wanna hook up some time ?

Lets face it, you got screwed buying the CA, At least youll see me comming,  for you  .............................................................................................. Yes. I can sink really, disturbingly low :D

Hands up, Who wants to vomit :D :D :D

I had a 740A. 

Never had any problems with it at all.

Have a 740C.

Tray mechanism wouldn't open. It was bought secondhand but was fixed gratis anyhow.

I've got no problem with CA products, and there are horror stories with any brand.

Nigel obviously has problems with repairing these when they fail. But how many fail?

Yes, its disappointing to hear of the after sales service, but the agent I've dealt with was excellent.   

I had a 740A. 

Never had any problems with it at all.

Have a 740C.

Tray mechanism wouldn't open. It was bought secondhand but was fixed gratis anyhow.

I've got no problem with CA products, and there are horror stories with any brand.

Nigel obviously has problems with repairing these when they fail. But how many fail?

Yes, its disappointing to hear of the after sales service, but the agent I've dealt with was excellent.   

I'm not at liberty to say who, or what they said.

But from their information, I don't think even ca employees would buy a RECENT ca product......

I might reread what they said, and ask if I can post excerpts from it.

Of all the stuff I have had through my hands, this one unit has given more grief than any other. And that includes that damn Classe audio DR-9.

Have a look at the various stuff I have posted here.

Youll have to trust me on this, I've been doing 'hobby' repairs for decades.

No, I'm not super smart or whatever, and I have had units I havent been able to repair.

But this thing has given the most grief, without the satisfaction of it working for more than 2 hours.

Not like It's the only ca product I've worked on.

How many repairs have been here more than a month.

How many repairs have I had to go back into multiple times.

How many repairs are ones that Other repairers wont touch, or haven't repaired.

Just for a laugh, could any other repairers that read this please chime in and say if they've worked on, or would work on a ca product again.

I can only remember one other recent unit that I couldn't fully repair (A nakamichi sr4 that had major tuner issues). But it still went out as a functioning integrated amp.

Everyone knows you get good and bad of everything.

But please, feel free to label me a ca hater. You'd actually be right :)

Just saying my albeit limited experience has been different.

Must be damn frustrating from a repair point of view. From your experience looks like you have every right to be a hater!

Just saying my albeit limited experience has been different.

Must be damn frustrating from a repair point of view. From your experience looks like you have every right to be a hater!

Just do what I do.

Hate everything.

Cuts gift lists and present bills, also saves time trying to remember who you like or hate :D

• Like 2

Nigel I have to say I one hundred percent agree with you regarding repairs to CA gear. When I was doing lots of Hi-Fi repairs my success rate with CA was very low to the point where I would automatically refuse to take them on. They always seemed way over complicated in the design & very difficult to work on. It's a shame because they do sound nice & do well in reviews. Audiolab was another UK brand I always liked but once they go wrong they are almost impossible to repair.

• Like 1