PMC Speakers Owners & Discussion Thread

I wonder why PMC don't bring the colour Oak into the country? best colour IMO....Amarone is pretty nice too though. Haven't heard the Twenty5's yet but keen to hear them after all these positive comments. 

3 hours ago, Happydogs said:

@maximus 

I've had some Twenty.22s for around 6 years and still very happy with them.   

What amp are you using with them ?

Densen B200/B320 pre power. Just received the Twenty25's, been playing for approx 3 hrs. It seems a terrific match with the Densens, all the emotion, timing in spades. I just wanna sit here all afternoon .

The Densens are 100/8 ohms and seem to cope quite comfortably with the 25.22, in saying that it would be interesting to hear a more powerful amp, say 250/8 ie Bryston, electrocompaniet just to see what they bring to the table.

Cheers..

On 19/07/2018 at 4:42 PM, maximus said:

Densen B200/B320 pre power. Just received the Twenty25's, been playing for approx 3 hrs. It seems a terrific match with the Densens, all the emotion, timing in spades. I just wanna sit here all afternoon .

The Densens are 100/8 ohms and seem to cope quite comfortably with the 25.22, in saying that it would be interesting to hear a more powerful amp, say 250/8 ie Bryston, electrocompaniet just to see what they bring to the table.

Cheers..

You don't need the extra wattage @maximus. I've run mine with a 50w/ch Exposure amp and a 200w/ch Plinius and they sounded great on both. 100w is plenty IMO as long as there is good current delivery. Congrats on your new speakers, they really are something special.

Yeah, thanks for the info Blakey. I've been talking them up at work all day.

Itching to hear them but all the folks here watching Friday night AFL, have to wait til Sunday when the kids are out playing soccer.

Looking forward to them from Monday as I've got the whole week off.  I know you hear the saying. 'Reinventing you cd collection'  but  I'll be doing exactly that.

cheers Frank.

• Like 1

On 19/07/2018 at 5:12 PM, maximus said:

Cheers..

G'day Frank, hope you're well mate!

We haven't spoken in a long time, the name has changed, formally (towny).. 

I am slowly getting back into the HiFi scene, I have had my eye on the 25.22 as I had once owned the TB2i many moons ago!

Did you ever get a chance to demo the earlier model mate?

If so anything you can tell me about the two would be great!

I found the TB2i to be good on most material, however on some of the earlier recordings I had they could be quite shrill, bland for want of a better word.

Does the new tweeter in the twenty5 have a sweet spot also or is it more laid back than the earlier series?

thanks mate,

Tony 

Edited by b@ndicoot

Yeah, I do remember you Tony, your up Lillydale way.

never ever auditioned it, but I do believe the 'plus' version was considerably better than the earlier version.

As far as the 25.22 goes, it plays all genres, no shrill or hardness at all, it seems to have all day deciphering the music, tonality and weight in the midrange just add to the package.

Best to audition the range Tony before you buy anything.

welcome back..

16 minutes ago, maximus said:

Yeah, I do remember you Tony, your up Lillydale way.

never ever auditioned it, but I do believe the 'plus' version was considerably better than the earlier version.

As far as the 25.22 goes, it plays all genres, no shrill or hardness at all, it seems to have all day deciphering the music, tonality and weight in the midrange just add to the package.

Best to audition the range Tony before you buy anything.

welcome back..

Yeah that is me! 

Ok great thanks mate, yes I certainly will go and have a listen, hopefully soon!

Thanks for the info!

Cheers,

Tony.

• Like 1

Have these guys posted yet?

https://studios301.com

https://studios301.com/studios/studio-1/

Studio One is our largest recording space and the centrepiece of our brand new facility. The studio is comprised of a beautiful custom built 201 square metre recording space including two isolation booths and a Yamaha C7 grand piano. Combining our studio heritage with modern technology, the spacious 75 square metre control room is equipped with Australia’s only Neve 88R console, a significant outboard selection including the famed Fairchild 670, the latest iMac Pro and Apogee converters. With PMC QB1A monitors, this the first facility in the Southern hemisphere to install PMC’s flagship monitoring system.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, b@ndicoot said:

G'day Frank, hope you're well mate!

We haven't spoken in a long time, the name has changed, formally (towny).. 

I am slowly getting back into the HiFi scene, I have had my eye on the 25.22 as I had once owned the TB2i many moons ago!

Did you ever get a chance to demo the earlier model mate?

If so anything you can tell me about the two would be great!

I found the TB2i to be good on most material, however on some of the earlier recordings I had they could be quite shrill, bland for want of a better word.

Does the new tweeter in the twenty5 have a sweet spot also or is it more laid back than the earlier series?

thanks mate,

Tony 

Hi @b@ndicoot (Tony). I've Heard the TB2i and own the TB2+. The tweeter on the + was a decent improvement. I think the same goes for the twenty and twenty5 series. The twenties sounded a little bright to my ears on some music however it seems to be fixed on the new 5 series.

• Like 1

On 21/07/2018 at 8:07 AM, blakey72 said:

Hi @b@ndicoot (Tony). I've Heard the TB2i and own the TB2+. The tweeter on the + was a decent improvement. I think the same goes for the twenty and twenty5 series. The twenties sounded a little bright to my ears on some music however it seems to be fixed on the new 5 series.

Blakey, hope you're keeping well mate and thanks for the reply.

Hmmm... i always thought the i was the improvement on the +?? Have I got this arse about?

Cheers

12 hours ago, b@ndicoot said:

Blakey, hope you're keeping well mate and thanks for the reply.

Hmmm... i always thought the i was the improvement on the +?? Have I got this arse about?

Cheers

Yeah I'm a little confused now. I think I was thinking of the TB2 not the i. Did the i come after the + ? I know the first of the Twenty20 series was said to be on the bright side. I might have it arse about mate ;)

Edited by blakey72

2 minutes ago, Andre28 said:

Hi all. Most likely looking to sell a pair of Db1i soon. These cost me $2195 at the time. Is 50% of that a fair price to list for?

Hi @Andre28. You could give it a go. It will depend on what's on the market and demand from buyers. 

1 hour ago, blakey72 said:

Yeah I'm a little confused now. I think I was thinking of the TB2 not the i. Did the i come after the + ? I know the first of the Twenty20 series was said to be on the bright side. I might have it arse about mate ;)

Yeah the i was definitely after the +.. just had a quick google..

It's becoming hard to keep track now, there is a gazillion bloody models!?

So what are you runnin at moment from source to speaker!?

Ok so sources are: Project RPM5.1 TT, Audio Technica AT150MLX Cart + Project Speedbox, Plinius CD101 Cd Player, Cambridge CNX Network Streamer. Amp is a Plinius 9200. IC's are a mix of Audioquest, Tara Labs and Redgum. Speaker cables home made RG213/U with Cambridge Audio plugs into the TB2S+'s. I have other systems but this is my main one.

How about you?

Edited by blakey72

For those with PMC bookshelf speakers, is anyone using them near a wall / corner. At my old place, they were sort of in a corner with a double brick wall right behind them. This was very bad placement for them. Had huge bass bloat/boom. Have since moved, and they are actually in an even smaller space now / closer to the wall. The rear wall it is against though is not solid (gyprock i think), and it is quite noticeably better than my old place (but still nothing on where I originally had them, with a bit of room, they were brilliant as you all know).

2 hours ago, Andre28 said:

For those with PMC bookshelf speakers, is anyone using them near a wall / corner. At my old place, they were sort of in a corner with a double brick wall right behind them. This was very bad placement for them. Had huge bass bloat/boom. Have since moved, and they are actually in an even smaller space now / closer to the wall. The rear wall it is against though is not solid (gyprock i think), and it is quite noticeably better than my old place (but still nothing on where I originally had them, with a bit of room, they were brilliant as you all know).

That sounds like you had PMCs with rear ports. I haven't had any issues like that with the front ported ones.

Note that you'd still get bass boom if you sit too close to the wall behind you.

15 hours ago, Andre28 said:

Thanks for that. Yes the wall on the other side would be barely 1.5m away from the front of the speaker, and that one is brick.

I find if I can have about 50cm minimum clearance between my head and the wall behind me, then a large part of the problem goes away.

• Like 1