Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable Owners & Discussion Thread

@@Tasebass

The Box looks familiar. :)

have fun and let us know if you like it 

Exactly..."Have fun".....tis what its all about in my book Shane.....

.....still thinking of a Univector Tone arm on this though....

ATBTase.

Exactly..."Have fun".....tis what its all about in my book Shane.....

.....still thinking of a Univector Tone arm on this though....

ATBTase.

If you are going down that path and you think the removal of the tonearm is easy, count me in as interested in doing it also.

I have often thought about doing this on my htd4.5. One blogger claimed it wasn't possible, but I've had the base off mine and it looks like three screws will remove the lot. Need to find a cheap STR8-150 to mod! Fwiw don't think there is that much different to the older 4.5kg/cm Hanpins.

Edited by Asteroid

Would a 2M Blue cartridge be compatible with the Pioneer headshell? Would this cartridge be a good choice for this turntable for a home hifi setup? i.e. not for DJ use.

I have the PLX-1000 and it is an extremely good turntable for HiFi.   I dont DJ.   Sounds a lot better than its price.

I would think the Blue would be a good choice.  I know some guys that use the red and black and like it.

Perhaps buy the Supreme head shell from decibel if you are looking for a good upgrade over this STK head shell.

Cheers

Would a 2M Blue cartridge be compatible with the Pioneer headshell? Would this cartridge be a good choice for this turntable for a home hifi setup? i.e. not for DJ use.

Gonna put my 2M Black on mine.....

Tase.

If you are going down that path and you think the removal of the tonearm is easy, count me in as interested in doing it also.

I'll see how the stock arm pans out.

How are the arm bearings holding out on your 1000??....Is it just a case of careful tightening and hope for the best??

ATBTase.

I'll see how the stock arm pans out.

How are the arm bearings holding out on your 1000??....Is it just a case of careful tightening and hope for the best??

ATBTase.

If yours is slightly loose, yes just a careful tighten and all is good.

I'm curious to hear how anything sounds through Shane's system as his speakers, pre amps, phono amps and power amps are of such a high standard that a real cheap USB tt might well sound a lot better than expected. I suppose you could argue that a high quality system might be more likely to show up the  shortcomings of a turntable but I wonder if that is the case and anything with a relatively quiet motor and bearing and an arm that at least works will sound good?

Am I the only one who thinks "If the arm is habitually loose, what else might be too?"

No you are not. I signed up for JBHiFi deal, but got cold feet before it was shipped and cancelled the order. Such an "easy" fix/adjustment that isn't QC'd before shipping, what lies beneath?

Plus I did the calculation that this new deck was costing more than the three nice vintage turntables that I already have (DD, belt & idler) combined  ;)

• Like 1

Am I the only one who thinks "If the arm is habitually loose, what else might be too?"

If you understand gimbal tonearms there is an adjustment in the vertical and the horizontal to get the bearings just right.   Some of the arms are slightly loose in the horizontal.

It literally takes 10 seconds to slightly tighten the horizontal adjustment 1-2mm so there is no play.

It sounded fine slightly loose and sounded fine tightened. 

It has played perfect for a month now and seems to be bulletproof.

Frankly if anyone feels that this is a real issue is looking for an issue that does not exist. 

Remember these turntables are made for DJ's and the abuse they give to turntables.

the loving care that audiophiles have with their turntables must make the Pioneer feel like the best hooker in town :P

Anyway, I am not here to sell anything so take my experience as what you want out of it.

cheers

Edited by metal beat
  • Like 3

Anyway, I am not here to sell anything so take my experience as what you want out of it.

cheers

I've been following your posts and really appreciate them, they hold extra weight due to the benchmark turntables you have to compare the Pioneer against. For me it was going to be the most I've paid for a turntable, and was really something I didn't need, so some tiny doubt was enough for me to pull back.

The money only partially stayed in the bank account as I bought a lovely Technics SL-1200 MkI from the classifieds here :-)

• Like 1

Yes MB I had the ST150, I know the game.

But it's not like the Japanese to be sloppy on even one detail, even with their China-made cheapies. Makes me wonder if their eye is on the ball.

BTW I'm not against good pro audio products for the audiophile, quite the opposite, and this looks like a value proposition with its massive build. But I resist the idea that it's amazing value -- there is a hint that its key components are generic platform products -- again, that's not a criticism, but also not a reason to treat it as a standout against say an ST150 that has an even more solid build and might have the same key components. Pitting its merits against the similarly priced Pro-Ject options with their acrylic platters, electronic speed control, inverted/ceramic bearings and carbon fibre tonearms, hmm, pros and cons maybe but no slam dunk.

I think MB's opinion is to be respected (and very honest) when you consider his background with all the quality equipment he has used or owns. No barrow to push there I feel ...

I am currently having a similar experience with a 'low brow' turntable vs. 'a higher brow' one. Namely a Luxman PD-370 vacuum hold down model (low brow) against the well respected Technics SP10 Mk II with EPA100 tonearm (high brow). Essentially, the Luxman at less than $1K invested sounds almost as good as the $4K invested in the Technics (the Technics has three arms hanging off it and has more than $10K RRP worth of MC cartridges with it).

I think that with turntables, if they keep accurate speed and it has a reasonable arm with a 'good' cartridge (like the Lux or the Pioneer deck being discussed), they can and do compete well against any other high brow product. The rest is just folklore and mainly audiophile talk, imho.

Regards,

Steve.

DSC_9087_zps2ocnytug.jpg

Edited by Steve M
  • Like 8

OK time for a quick report,,,,

post-109454-0-80849700-1432282525_thumb. post-109454-0-45125800-1432282535_thumb.

I will echo @ findings......If you are into vinyl and I don't care who why or what you own get one of these.....its a no brainer even at full retail. I thought it would struggle with an Ortofon 2M black but no.....far from it

So everyone stop your bitching and winging and go and buy one......So glad I did ( lot easier to set up than Sondeks too!!)

So ends the quick report... ;)

ATBTase.

Edited by Tasebass
  • Like 4

No you are not. I signed up for JBHiFi deal, but got cold feet before it was shipped and cancelled the order. Such an "easy" fix/adjustment that isn't QC'd before shipping, what lies beneath?

Plus I did the calculation that this new deck was costing more than the three nice vintage turntables that I already have (DD, belt & idler) combined  ;)

I have bought vintage decks in the couple hundred dollar brackets too...

This will blow ANY one of them to the weeds....

Tase.

• Like 1

@@Tasebass

I could not be bothered with even using the stk headshell :)    Everything else is stk thou.

In time you might want to try the Zupreme headshell.   I got a guy on the Hoffman forum to buy one for his lowly AT LP-120.  he was blown away with the improvement.

http://www.decibelhifi.com.au/zupreme-headshell/

Great to hear you enjoying it :thumb:    It really is a breath of fresh air at a price literally everyone can enjoy great sounding vinyl without any setup hassles.

For the last time, The PLX-1000 sounds much better than any of the Hanpin variations, so people that keep referring back to any Hanpin table really are wasting everyones time.  Read the various threads on Hoffman for comparisons.  Most prefer the PLX-1000 to the technics 1200 who have compared playing music.

The main reason why I reported the PLX-1000 is for anyone considering spending 2-3k on a table to seriously consider it.

cheers, enjoy

Edited by metal beat
  • Like 3

I had to do some modifications to the Headshell to get the 2m to fit so I will get a better one soon....

As you say, and I think we are both qualified to say this, anyone in the market for a TT up to 2-3K should give this a listen...

I actually got to 2m on special from Decibel Hifi total so far is $1500.00....absolute bargain..

Cheers Tony.

Edited by Tasebass

The good thing about the Supreme / Jelco HS25 is that it has long slots to fit the 54mm as well as azimuth adjustment if needed.

Tony, sounds like you have a huge weekend of playtime with the two CD12 plinth lp12's as well as the PLX-1000  :thumb:

• Like 1

I picked up one of these TT's today on the strength of the Stereophile review and the opinions here (and the price). It will be replacing my Rega P2. Initially I'm going to try it with my Garrott Brother's K1 cartridge. If I don't like the sound I will put something better on. Anyone using a PNP cartridge?

• Like 2