Can I do better for the money?

I'm looking at a pair of Monitor Audio Silver 6 floor speakers for around $1650 new. I have read a few reviews saying they are decent speakers but there are better options around for the price. Can anyone help me out in regards to what would be those better options the reviews are speaking about? The speakers will be part of a setup including a Rega RP40 turntable and Rega Brio-R Amp.

On another note I currently have a set of Jamo Cornet 70 III speakers. How do these speakers rate these days...fairly decent still? Would they work well with the setup mentioned above? Any help is much appreciated.

You will get a better idea on how well the Jamo's you have work with that setup......... by trying them. A much better idea than what you will get asking others, I think.

I have never heard the Monitor Audio's, so I can't comment in any way.

Not much help I guess. Others will be more helpful than I.

Edit: Oh, and welcome to SNA :)

Edited by ortofun

Yes that is true and I intend on listening to the Jamos on the new setup. But my ears haven't heard a variety of speakers to compare. They sounded pretty good to me when I last had them powered up around a year ago. But sometimes what you think is great may not actually be when you find out what else is around. I'm just hoping to tap into the experience of others that may be able to steer me in the right direction.

Hi Troy,

Do you have a particular bias towards a specific sound signature i.e. do you prefer a warmer sound to a more brighter presentation? Do you prefer a more laid back sound, to a more dynamic up front presentation? What kind of music do you listen to?

The reason I ask is that when deciding on a set of speakers to buy I tried the MA Silver 2 Way Monitors and found that the presentation was a touch too bright and up front for my tastes. I've since discovered I have a preference for a slightly warmer, smoother and laid back presentation when it comes to the music I listen (counter intuitively: deep house and more logically: jazz).

I remember when I started on this journey I'd get a touch frustrated at the suggestions to listen before I buy: unfortunately a number of factors including location, and budget may render this impossible, but it's sound advice (no pun intended) and worth at least broadening your horizons so you get a sense for your preferred taste then potentially focus on a brand that has that particular signature at your price range.

Cheers,

Soapy

Edited by Galactic Soap

Hi Soapy. Yes this is the start of my journey. I've always had plenty of audio equipment around me in the past but in my younger days I really gave no consideration to the sound. If it whacked out volumes of noise I liked it. Over recent years I've been satisfied with downloadable content without a worry at all. But recently it has become apparent to me that my ears aren't digital and I'm missing out on the spectrum of sounds that the original artist intended for me to hear. But that's a whole other story and getting off topic [emoji4]

Today I had the chance to head into a dedicated audio hifi shop and listen to a set of speaker starting in my budget range....up to $1650 or so. I started out with a pair of Monitor Audio Silver 2 speakers in a media room. They sounded really good. Almost like the sound was swirling around my head. I wouldn't call the sound warming but they had fantastic clarity....which could also be the track being played. We moved them into the open room and they had less punch which is to be expected I guess. The step up from these are the Silver 6's floor speaker. These sounded more rounded than the 2's with what I would call a firmer and balanced range of sound. I only listened to these two as they were in my price range. I was amazed actually being in a dedicated shop and seeing the prices on the speakers....wow!! Lol I'm used to Harvey Norman and JBHIFI! But today was my first experience at really listening to the sound.....and I enjoyed it! [emoji106]

• Like 1

The Silver 6's are a great speaker but Galactic is right to ask about your preference for sound as they can be bright so a listen with your amp is needed if you don't have a preference for that type of sound. Personal opinion but I'd look at the Krix, Epos or B&W's in the same price range.

Thanks for the replies. The kind of music in my record collection is mostly Blues, Soul/Funk, RnB/Soul. Artists and groups such as Muddy Waters, John Lee Hooker, Little Walter, Buddy Guy, Aretha Franklin, Earth Wind n Fire....also The Eagles, Simply Red, Janis Joplin and also a bit of Elvis. If I was to say which sound I love the most....it's got to be Chicago Blues!!

I current have a pair of Jamo Cornet 70 III floor speakers and the gentleman from my Audio HiFi store has gladly let me bring them into the store to hook them up and compare my current sound to the Monitor Audio speakers. I haven't powered these speakers in almost 2 years so I'm hoping they still have some life left in them.

I used to own a pair of the Jamo Cornet speakers many years ago and always liked them. They had a warmish sound to them from memory with decent bass. I eventually traded them in for B&W 603S2 speakers and thought it was a step up but definitely a brighter sound. Will be interested to see how you find the different speakers as its such a personal thing.

For what its worth, I like Usher and Whatmough speakers in your price range as I think you get more bang for your buck.

Well I decided to purchase the Monitor Audio Silver 8 speakers. To me they sound fantastic for the range of music I like. It was difficult to track down sellers in Brisbane that sell the recommend speakers that everyone suggested. A few had some brands but not in my price range. To me the Sliver 8's not only sound great but look aesthetic with the grilles off too. Thanks to all that made recommendations as it helped me actually extend my budget to get speakers that give quite a bit more than my original selection. Cheers all.