2014 Led Zepplin re-issues...

There is a thread already about the LZ reissues, but that thread may be about the deluxe issues.

I won't be ordering any of the vinyl reissues until I get confirmation of the mastering used. And didn't "the man himself" f##k it up last time he was involved?  :)

Latest word I have heard is comments by Michael Fremer who refers to an anonymous source saying that these will be digital, and not analog remasters.

Read below:

http://www.analogplanet.com/content/communication-breakdown-led-zep-catalog-cut-digital

An interesting read. Not saying that digital mastered reissues will sound bad.............................but boy- they could do it right the first time, and stop giving us inferior product when better is possible.

I base my above comments on the fact that I want vinyl, not CD Led Zeppelin reissues.

Edited by soundfan
  • Like 1

What ! No wheel on III.  You got a reference for that ?

Amazon says "includes the wheel and die-cut holes" !

Sooo... suspicion settles on digital (hi res ?).  Haven't preordered mine yet for the same reasons as Soundfan.

Edited by E.Man
  • Like 1

My first copy of Led Zep III was a 1980 cheap repress that i bought in England. Even that had the wheel. I can't imagine that lp without, the same goes for the windows on Physical Graffiti. The barf bag cover on In Through The Out Door is handy for those rare occasions someone straps you to the chair and forces you to listen to the tripe.

I will keep my Classic record reissues from 10 years ago. Won't get better than that

No milking for me  ;)

Blimey, was it really 10 years ago? Yep, i'll stick with my Classics, they are lovely.

... The barf bag cover on In Through The Out Door is handy for those rare occasions someone straps you to the chair and forces you to listen to the tripe.

I really didn't mind ITTOD.

Would you rather listen to that or Tony Barber?

• Like 1

I really didn't mind ITTOD.

Would you rather listen to that or Tony Barber?

I don't know. Tony Barber must be some Australian cultural reference that i'm afraid has gone over my head.

I'll stick to my original one with the wheel then!

So far the only reason to think there's no wheel is one comment "doesn't seem to".  Hardly definitive. I reckon it will have the wheel.

Do you wheely wheely hope there is a wheel.

So who are these Zepplin chappies and which album should a novice buy (only heard them on the radio).

My musical taste in the early 70s was that of a child. My recently purchased early 70 s collection is sparse. I have Yellow Brick Road, Rise and fall of Ziggy Stardust and Railroad Gins " Matter of time" from that period ............( and in a horrrible twist on that title I just found out that Carol Lloyd only has months to live but she is still performing, wow. If that isn't inspirational I don't know what is).

Edited by Briz Vegas

Do you wheely wheely hope there is a wheel.

So who are these Zepplin chappies and which album should a novice buy (only heard them on the radio).

My musical taste in the early 70s was that of a child. My recently purchased early 70 s collection is sparse. I have Yellow Brick Road, Rise and fall of Ziggy Stardust and Railroad Gins " Matter of time" from that period ............( and in a horrrible twist on that title I just found out that Carol Lloyd only has months to live but she is still performing, wow. If that isn't inspirational I don't know what is).

The 70's, golden age of rock and imo a decade un-equalled.  LZ IV would probably be a good start but the 1st 6 albums are all 5 star (really worth exploring every 70s Bowie album + Scary Monsters & all EJ up to Captan Fantastic).

I will keep my Classic record reissues from 10 years ago. Won't get better than that

No milking for me  ;)

I got well and truly milked buying those Classic 180g's a little over 12mths ago, not to mention going through 4 x LZII RL's to find a clean copy (& probably stupidly my AU presses have sat unplayed since my return to vinyl).  

• Like 1

I got well and truly milked buying those Classic 180g's a little over 12mths ago, not to mention going through 4 x LZII RL's to find a clean copy (& probably stupidly my AU presses have sat unplayed since my return to vinyl).  

David

Unfortunately if you don't buy vinyl releases when they are actually released, you will in all probability get milked buying them down the line when supply is short.

You have to admit, the Classic Led Zeppelin pressings do sound bloody good thou.

The Classic LZII sounds pretty damm good I have not bothered going after the RL holy grail, due the examples you have just given.

Edited by turntable

Its going to be interesting to see if the vinyl is mastered well enough to match the Classic Records re-issues. If they dont then the prices of the CR's are going to go stratospheric. If you are a LZ fan and dont own nice early pressings or the CR's then be prepared to grab them quick if these reissues dont cut it.

As for an RLII, this is one LP that surpasses the hype. Grab one while you can.

David

Unfortunately if you don't buy vinyl releases when they are actually released, you will in all probability get milked buying them down the line when supply is short.

You have to admit, the Classic Led Zeppelin pressings do sound bloody good thou.

The Classic LZII sounds pretty damm good I have not bothered going after the RL holy grail, due the examples you have just given.

My own fault I know, too many years of all work & no play had me missing quite a lot, fortunately I've been able to play catch-up. Agree they are exceptional, haven't got the Classic ITTOD though, stupid prices & my AU press doesn't sound that bad.

I'm also late to the Led Zep party. I must admit I've always scratched my head on the 2nd hand prices. I mean they're not exactly an obscure act and there must be a truckload of pressings in the market ? I considered buying the Classic reissues for a nano second, but north of $130 / album ....mmm.... probably not. So crossing my fingers on these upcoming reissues.

• Like 1

The trouble with all those old LZ pressings out there is that they were not generally owned by middle aged or older well to do folk who enjoyed a scotch during an evening of listening :(  Young men, parties, alcohol & for some drugs means most are in very poor condition (which on ebay means 'excellent'), so finding truly excellent to n/mint will cost and often take more than one attempt.

• Like 1

If compared against another popular band from the same era - say The Who for example, near mint Who albums can easily be had for $10 or less, where led zep kicks off around $25. Surely this would be the same demographic treating their albums badly (and heaven forbid if Who fans treated their vinyl like The Who treated their instruments there would be no early pressings !). According to discogs there are a lot more versions of led zep albums than Who albums. So I can only conclude that Led Zep has attained some sort of incredible appeal with vinyl collectors inflating the second hand market.

Edited by Goatboy

I scored a reasonable copy (a couple of audible scratches, otherwise freshish vinyl, cover VG+) of Houses of the Holy for $5 last week. At my favourite record store. Initially only grabbed it only for the mint inner sleeve, which is missing from the copy I already had ($35 Ebay).

Hard to believe, as another record store here in Perth was trying to sell LZ3, in "used as a doormat" condition, for $23. That was the lastime I went in that place.

I'm looking forward to the re-issues, for my own consumption and re-setting current second hand prices.