Jazz: Currently Spinning

JUGGLING KUKLA - NoBusiness LP86

Double bass and cello, beautifully captured. It really is like they're playing right in front of me, in my own private recital.

Stirring stuff, and easily digested.

Can't wait for more! :) 

188.jpg

john%2526anil.jpg

• Like 5

R-10419123-1500756336-5428.jpeg.jpg.08d69081789cf4ed48c9d749aa5593c8.jpg

These guys are all great players, and John Medeski can do no wrong as far as I'm concerned.

But when let loose to jazzify some 60s rock standards (Lay Lady Lay, Up On Cripple Creek, Woodstock...) and some less than riveting originals the result is, frankly, dull.  Who'd a thought that a bunch of primitive rockers would wring a lot more excitement and meaning out of this stuff than these real smart guys, eh?

You won't clear any rooms with it, but you won't wake anybody up with it, either.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, k-k-k-kenny said:

R-10419123-1500756336-5428.jpeg.jpg.08d69081789cf4ed48c9d749aa5593c8.jpg

These guys are all great players, and John Medeski can do no wrong as far as I'm concerned.

But when let loose to jazzify some 60s rock standards (Lay Lady Lay, Up On Cripple Creek, Woodstock...) and some less than riveting originals the result is, frankly, dull.  Who'd a thought that a bunch of primitive rockers would wring a lot more excitement and meaning out of this stuff than these real smart guys, eh?

You won't clear any rooms with it, but you won't wake anybody up with it, either.

Yep, I let that one pass. Love all those guys, but it's all about the material.

• Like 1

On 2017/10/10 at 10:10 AM, k-k-k-kenny said:

I should oughta be working, but seem instead to be getting the brain into gear with this:

PHJB is an odd ensemble: founded by a white couple in the 60s to preserve the culture and now run (rights seem to be owned) by their son Ben Jaffe.  I now realise that what you get on the record ain't necessarily what or who you'd get at the venue in St Peters St.

I'd passed on buying it when in NOLA a couple of months ago, thinking it was just ye trad stuff.  It isn't.  Good New Orleans funk and latin grooves on this and very accessible.  Nice to see Kyle Roussel on keyboards playing to his potential; his solo album of a couple of years ago was a bit of a showcase that lacked proper focus for mine.

@k-k-k-kennyHere's a bit of frippery for ya. Which reminds me, have you youtubed Jools Holland's Walking to New Orleans yet?

cheers

mick

• Like 3

Can't remember the last time I played this.

R-2738403-1472580256-9816.jpeg.jpg

Recorded in Japan, 1978. Empathetic, elegant, mostly ballady duets. Archie on soprano, alto & tenor. Very nice Japanese vinyl.

Edited by mikey d
  • Like 5

Guest Misterioso
1 hour ago, mikey d said:

Well? How is it? Waiting patiently for my copy in the post.

I have another copy in the post. Ordered twice by mistake - I am getting old. How it is? More of the same. Grande scale, epic, dense, in particular the B side. Can we say glam jazz? Certainly very entertaining, I like it. Great pressing quality as well. 

1 minute ago, Misterioso said:

I have another copy in the post. Ordered twice by mistake - I am getting old. How it is? More of the same. Grande scale, epic, dense, in particular the B side. Can we say glam jazz? Certainly very entertaining, I like it. Great pressing quality as well. 

Nice! Looking forward to it. I am not sure what to do with my 2nd copy of the last Necks lp :).

• Like 1

JUGGLING KUKLA - NoBusiness LP86

Double bass and cello, beautifully captured. It really is like they're playing right in front of me, in my own private recital.

Stirring stuff, and easily digested.
Can't wait for more! [emoji4] 

188.jpg
john%2526anil.jpg
I need to check this out.
  • Like 2

@mickj1Nice that... Yes indeedy I have and am.  Although the show was made over 30 years ago there's a lot that still looks familiar.  Flat wet hot countryside, sleepy, dying country towns... and though quite a few of the performers have moved on, Fred's Lounge is still going and Fats D still with us, though not very visible in public these days

• Like 2

20 hours ago, mikey d said:

Well? How is it? Waiting patiently for my copy in the post.

Ditto.

Amazon UK welched on me and said it wasn't available anymore and cancelled my pre-order :(

So have just had to buy again at a much higher cost!

• Like 1

Tenorio Jr - Embalo.

A rather tragic ending to this artist's life. This is his only recording as band leader.

He went missing in mysterious circumstances in Argentina during the first year of that country's last civil-military dictatorship: in March 1976, while on tour at Buenos Aires with Toquinho and Vinícius de Moraes, Tenório Júnior mentioned he was going out to buy cigarettes, and he was never seen again; it was quickly surmised that he might have been rounded up by the dictatorship's security forces, mistaken for an Argentine "guerrilla" and kidnapped, to be subsequently thrown in jail, tortured and murdered.

In 1979, singer Elis Regina mentioned in an interview with the Brazilian newspaper Folha de S.Paulo that he had been seen in jail in La Plata City; subsequent investigations by several journalists and Argentina's CONADEP confirmed his tragic fate, and he is now widely considered to be a desaparecido (missing person), therefore a victim of Argentina's State-sponsored terrorism during the 70s.

images (43).jpg

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Misterioso said:

Fred Anderson, Hamid Drake, William Parker - Blue Winter (Eremite, 2005)

59e1ee8749a49_FredAnderson-BlueWinter.png.7b2feec2a4c5c7c314d4252618414b47.png

Haven’t heard much of Fred Anderson, but anything with Parker and Drake involved has a good chance of being worthwhile to listen to.

• Like 1

Guest Misterioso
2 minutes ago, soundfan said:

Haven’t heard much of Fred Anderson, but anything with Parker and Drake involved has a good chance of being worthwhile to listen to.

It's a brilliant double CD. The opening 44 minutes track is as good as jazz gets (well, in my opinion anyway). Anderson and Drake have a long joint recording history. Another excellent Eremite release from the same trio plus Edward "Kidd" Jordan is "2 Days in April", also a double CD. Highly recommended. 

Guest Misterioso

Bobby Bradford and Hafez Modirzadeh - Live at the Magic Triangle (NoBusiness, 2017)

with Ken Filiano and Royal Hartigan. More Bobby Bradford goodness from NoBusiness Records. Slow pace improvised music. 

Edited by Misterioso

Guest Misterioso
1 hour ago, mrbuzzardstubble said:

He's performing at Womadelaide in March. :thumb:Also announced in the first lot are Rodrigo and Gabriela, Adrian Sherwood, Tinariwen, Anoushka Shankar and Bixiga '70.

Also two performances at Bluesfest. Edit: wrong year. That was 2016,

Will try to see him again.

Edited by Misterioso