SME 3012 - what's this?

I've got an old SME 3012 that I'm getting up and running. It's just been re-wired with an incognito kit. I've only had a SME 3009 improved, so this is all new to me. The rear weight freely moves back and forth freely, and there's this black... gunk... between the weight and the armtube. What is it? Should I clean it? 

Any general advice on getting this up and running gratefully received. 

image.png.37bbca1cbba0cd62668ec54c9c3b5e41.png

9 minutes ago, Analogsound said:

The coupling rubber is broken, you need to buy a replacement or better send it to technical to repair

image.png.e4ee548bae0c35878006827f4662ff04.png

That's really helpful thanks. I was hoping it wasn't something that was broken but figured it was likely. 

Do you know anywhere better to get them from than here: https://www.smetonearms.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=20 

Was hoping to get this TT up and running! 

All fairly easy to fix yourself.  Other than the coupling rubbers being perished and broken (they always do) you seem to be missing the sliding adjustment weight from the outrigger arm, and also the anti-skating weight which should hang from the centre notched rod, and over a wire guide (which I also do not see) and would have been held under the missing base positioning slide screw (I see only one on the near side - the one on the far side is missing)

Details vary with exact versions but looking at pictures online will help

image.png.2043937a6ca166c097e44c9659671121.pngimage.png.6aedb63d7777f6da4bcfe5e3d6667147.png

image.png

Edited by aussievintage
  • Like 3

On 14/08/2023 at 10:00 AM, aussievintage said:

All fairly easy to fix yourself.  Other than the coupling rubbers being perished and broken (they always do) you seem to be missing the sliding adjustment weight from the outrigger arm, and also the anti-skating weight which should hang from the centre notched rod, and over a wire guide (which I also do not see) and would have been held under the missing base positioning slide screw (I see only one on the near side - the one on the far side is missing)

Details vary with exact versions but looking at pictures online will help

image.png.2043937a6ca166c097e44c9659671121.pngimage.png.6aedb63d7777f6da4bcfe5e3d6667147.png

image.png

You scared me for a second, thankfully I have those items, they're just not attached currently while I get this up and running. 

• Haha 1

Just to confirm that this is a reasonably easy fix, just take your time with (it requires some patience to remove the black gunk) - there are a few resources online. I managed to get some original SME parts on ebay (that is, the two rubber bits) so that may be an option.

In my experience, the repair immediately tightened the sound on my 3012, so worth doing. 

If you're in Melbourne and don't have wide experience in doing this stuff just give it to Loi (analogsound) to check over and overhaul for you.  It won't cost you much and it will be as good as new when finished.  

With the rubber rotted away there may be some other adjustments needed to bring the tonearm back to perfect running order.

He can also check the knife edge bearings for you etc.

LPG