Speaker Project - Copenhagen

Prompted by another thread started by @Fidelity Hi, I thought I'd echo my experience with building The Speaker Project "Copenhagen" kit.

After building some speakers for the shed using some Klipsch in walls I had been given and a load of old 19mm pine shelving I was looking to have a crack at building a couple of desktop monitors.  I was jumping around Parts Express, Wagner, Madisound etc and google spat out The Speaker Project at some point.  Further investigation on their website and and I was intrigued enough to buy the kit.  At the time, the higher end Trohet was only available if you took the course, but the Copenhagen (not yet called that either) was home delivered with online support through detailed videos and with Atlas always just an email away!

A week later a heavy box landed at the post office, and unpacking revealed professionally CNC'd panels and everything I needed to build the kits (literally everything!!). 

IMG_7998.thumb.JPG.f410ae865a56de9a49d2c359ea935934.JPG

After a couple of trial fits, I glued them up with the supplied PVA, and clamped with the supplied straps.  I added a couple of my own clamps too, but it wasn't needed.  (but more is better, right?)

IMG_8002.thumb.JPG.5988b1d102d5ac5b3fa74762e0412512.JPG

All the panels have a great fit

IMG_8026.thumb.JPG.0a75b8949a92b368f67bd9e2df43e581.JPG

IMG_8046.thumb.JPG.ff625e266c76fbfe0b6d962d4da4d0a6.JPG

Next up the boxes are sanded and then finished with a few coats of varnish.  This was the most time consuming part of the process, waiting for the varnish to cure and the then sanding, rinse and repeat a few more times with progressively finer sandpapers.  

IMG_8051.thumb.JPG.5c5b7bef5e5d7584f146219600fcb4f5.JPG

IMG_8053.thumb.JPG.69a4926673cd257696b9054f2c71441d.JPG

Drivers for the Copenhagen come from SB Acoustics.   The x-overs were incredibly easy to layout and solder up, as the boards were very clearly marked up.  Good quality components, for example Dayton Audio poly caps.  I won't share the crossover pic, as that's one of the magic sauces that Atlas has worked so hard on!

IMG_8067.thumb.jpg.65135b981fc532190295c05e800428eb.jpg

Initial finished product :)

I then took them apart and did a couple of mods.

Installed a cross brace between the sides and lined with barium damping to really deaden the cabinet. (Trohet has internal bracing and damping already included in the kit)

Retro fitting the brace and damping was a bit awkward, but we got there with some blocks and clamping, and spray on contact adhesive for the damping.

IMG_8083.thumb.JPG.0145672a07a4646e10e99e7109b291c8.JPG

IMG_8087.thumb.JPG.800d7672784c84d3ca1b33a62fbbabb9.JPG

I am very pleased with these.  They defy their size with the bottom end - not subterranean of course - but surprisingly full.  Imaging is spot on and overall tone I would say ever so slightly warm.  They are a very engaging listen, musical and scale well from my desktop setup to filling a large room with more than enough volume for most activities.  Driving them from the Willsenton R8 with EL34s produces a full and wide soundstage.  

IMG_8374.thumb.JPG.0bf97c8df984cbaa5577ff5325ab89e8.JPG

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend - for the experience and the awesome finished product.

PS...  I am thinking of stripping them back and perhaps staining to an oak or walnut finish, and that's possible as they are not just thin veneer.  These particular ones are good quality birch ply, so can take some refinishing without issue. At the same time, will round over all the edges.  Of course once I stain dark I can't go back so easily, so the jury is still out. 

Edited by Timster
  • Like 7

8 hours ago, Timster said:

Prompted by another thread started by @Fidelity Hi, I thought I'd echo my experience with building The Speaker Project "Copenhagen" kit.

After building some speakers for the shed using some Klipsch in walls I had been given and a load of old 19mm pine shelving I was looking to have a crack at building a couple of desktop monitors.  I was jumping around Parts Express, Wagner, Madisound etc and google spat out The Speaker Project at some point.  Further investigation on their website and and I was intrigued enough to buy the kit.  At the time, the higher end Trohet was only available if you took the course, but the Copenhagen (not yet called that either) was home delivered with online support through detailed videos and with Atlas always just an email away!

A week later a heavy box landed at the post office, and unpacking revealed professionally CNC'd panels and everything I needed to build the kits (literally everything!!). 

IMG_7998.thumb.JPG.f410ae865a56de9a49d2c359ea935934.JPG

After a couple of trial fits, I glued them up with the supplied PVA, and clamped with the supplied straps.  I added a couple of my own clamps too, but it wasn't needed.  (but more is better, right?)

IMG_8002.thumb.JPG.5988b1d102d5ac5b3fa74762e0412512.JPG

All the panels have a great fit

IMG_8026.thumb.JPG.0a75b8949a92b368f67bd9e2df43e581.JPG

IMG_8046.thumb.JPG.ff625e266c76fbfe0b6d962d4da4d0a6.JPG

Next up the boxes are sanded and then finished with a few coats of varnish.  This was the most time consuming part of the process, waiting for the varnish to cure and the then sanding, rinse and repeat a few more times with progressively finer sandpapers.  

IMG_8051.thumb.JPG.5c5b7bef5e5d7584f146219600fcb4f5.JPG

IMG_8053.thumb.JPG.69a4926673cd257696b9054f2c71441d.JPG

Drivers for the Copenhagen come from SB Acoustics.   The x-overs were incredibly easy to layout and solder up, as the boards were very clearly marked up.  Good quality components, for example Dayton Audio poly caps.  I won't share the crossover pic, as that's one of the magic sauces that Atlas has worked so hard on!

IMG_8067.thumb.jpg.65135b981fc532190295c05e800428eb.jpg

Initial finished product :)

I then took them apart and did a couple of mods.

Installed a cross brace between the sides and lined with barium damping to really deaden the cabinet. (Trohet has internal bracing and damping already included in the kit)

Retro fitting the brace and damping was a bit awkward, but we got there with some blocks and clamping, and spray on contact adhesive for the damping.

IMG_8083.thumb.JPG.0145672a07a4646e10e99e7109b291c8.JPG

IMG_8087.thumb.JPG.800d7672784c84d3ca1b33a62fbbabb9.JPG

I am very pleased with these.  They defy their size with the bottom end - not subterranean of course - but surprisingly full.  Imaging is spot on and overall tone I would say ever so slightly warm.  They are a very engaging listen, musical and scale well from my desktop setup to filling a large room with more than enough volume for most activities.  Driving them from the Willsenton R8 with EL34s produces a full and wide soundstage.  

IMG_8374.thumb.JPG.0bf97c8df984cbaa5577ff5325ab89e8.JPG

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend - for the experience and the awesome finished product.

PS...  I am thinking of stripping them back and perhaps staining to an oak or walnut finish, and that's possible as they are not just thin veneer.  These particular ones are good quality birch ply, so can take some refinishing without issue. At the same time, will round over all the edges.  Of course once I stain dark I can't go back so easily, so the jury is still out. 

Good effort, looks great. 

• Thanks 1

Nice work! I've recently found out about this company and pretty keen on building the Trohet's, I've also seen on their intstagram that there is a floor stander version in the works too.

Question, did you notice much when you added the cross brace and the stuck on damping?

Bet those Tannoy's at the back sound good!

Have you thought about veneering them opposed to just stain?

Thanks Sonjay!

The Tannoys are outstanding, and the room they are in is big enough to allow them space to shine :)

The cross brace and damping was more for my own OCD, the biggest difference to me was the knuckle test - rap the side of the cabinet and it was definitely more dead/damped.  I honestly didn't notice any change in the sound, as the birch ply is pretty solid.  The Trohets come with cross bracing and damping as I understand it.

I suppose if I added a veneer, it would be (more easily) reversible, and would be something else I could learn.  Good thought, thanks. 

• Like 1