Using Titebond II (wood glue) for cleaning

Where do you buy it from in Perth?  I'd love to give it a try.

Put this into eBay.i got mine for $2 plus $3 shipping if your lazy like me,and hate shopping.

Mont Marte Clear School Glue 147ml Washable

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mont-Marte-Clear-School-Glue-147ml-Washable-/301327464044?pt=AU_Art_Supplies&hash=item462884366c

Edited by masliko

Ok,so i got my gllluueeeee today.It has almost the same consistency as RR,so I've laid it on a test 7".

And......My wife,walked in today and pissed herself laughing!..I'm sitting on the lounge with a cheap USB microscope and bottle of glue and one white anti static glove on and a 7".

She even laughed more when i told her i was "just cleaning my records!"

Edited by masliko

Ok guys I've done my first vinyl with the MM glue and it is fantastic! IMHO.Its looks just like RR when it comes off.No nasty smells,and i belive if its made for children it would have to be safe for polyvinyl records (in others words "plastic")

It goes on great ,dried in 5 hours.And came off perfectly in one go.The record itself sound wise did not have alot of noise to start with and the SQ was not my intention in this test.This test was just to see if was safe to use on vinyl,how it would spread,how fast to dry and how it would come off.

I will do a SQ soon and post back.

So my only advice is(so far) is : Dont spread to thick & dont attempt to peel off  till fully dry.If you can touch it and leave a print it is NOT dry.

Edited by masliko
  • Like 1

Used my first school glue last night. After using titebond a few times, the school glue is such a dream to use. Peels off so easily in one piece

Vinyl sounds great after treatment.

Will be switching to schoolgel immediately

Try it. It works

Edited by Bill125812
  • Like 1

Used my first school glue last night. After using titebond a few times, the school glue is such a dream to use. Peels off so easily in one piece

Vinyl sounds great after treatment.

Will be switching to schoolgel immediately

Try it. It works

Today i've done a little experiment.

I have found an LP with rice bubbles on it(snap,crackle & pop) so i first used RR on it & still some noise remains.I have now thrown some MM on it,i'm waiting for the result.For me ,this will be the real decider.The noise on the LP maybe so bad that RR couldnt get it out,maybe the WW cant get it out either?-I'll have to wait and see.......

You would only do this treatment once in a LP's lifetime(maybe twice at most)every 15 years,depending on enviorment & storage style IMO.

PS sorry about my lame joke,have a nice day!

***UPDATE***:   Ok, so my round 1 results are in - and so far its a draw, on this one.Neither, RR or WW could get the rice bubbles out of this LP. The LP i used for the test was very damaged to begin with.

Edited by masliko
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

@@masliko - push it into the grooves. Massage it in. Put some weight behind it.  You have nothing to lose.

My first couple of times I was too light-handed.  Now I dispense on the spinning platter, then take the record off the platter and onto a clean flat safe surface, and massge it in.  Then the LP goes back on the platter.

• 1 month later...

Whether your favourite vinyl face mask is Wood Glue or REViRGiNIZER or some other spreadable fluid, you'll do it better with the VRC Turntable & Stack Rack see http://www.vinylrecordcleaningsystem.com.au

Tests with REViRGiNiZER show around 20% less fluid than the recommended dosage is achievable when applied to the record while it's spinning on the VRC Turntable.

Then VRC Stack Racks will dry up to 10 LPs (standard) or 20 LPs (MEGA) on the footprint of a handkerchief. Add a small fan (or put the Rack outside in the shade) and all dried in less than 4 hours.

Don't know about glue spread rates, but a bottle of REViRGiNiZER will do 15-16 LPs (both sides, per the recommended rates). Achieve 23-25 LPs using the VRC system. 

I am curious to see if the same mentality of Clay Bar could be applied to Record cleaning? Clay Bar is used in the car industry with a combination of a spray detailer, the clay bar is rubbed across the paint surface and its able to pick up old polish/contaminants and various other impurities on the clear coat surface

My thoughts were that you could use Blu Tack Instead, and press it lightly onto the surface (and subsequently somewhat into the grooves). 

Wonder if it could work as well? I have a feeling the glue is a cheaper option.

Clay bar can leave  a residue / smear, and little bits can break off, and bits get stuck on your fingers.

I use it on my car but I wouldn't recommend it for records.

I bought some of the Mont Marte school glue today, based on positive reviews here.

I tried PVA on a record years ago, and that seemed to work OK, so hoping this MM School glue provides the same positive experience.

Edited by eltech

I usually just wash old LP's in the sink with dish washing liquid and a shaving brush, then rinse and dry.

I found that sometimes wet washing doesn't get all the grey colour out of the grooves.

I've tried the Mont Marte school glue, and found that it does visibly get majority of the grey out of the grooves. I think any remaining grey is groove wear which is untreatable. I found that the LP is quieter, and has less pops, and the highs are clearer sounding after the glue treatment.

I think this glue is a good recommendation.

• Like 1