STATE: VIC - Nirvana Sound 15th October 2021 – Koetsu Shoot-Out Event

Nirvana Sound selected Koetsu as a brand for many reasons, the unique and beguiling sonics being what attracted us to the brand many years ago. Koetsu has carved out a well-earned reputation for each generation of listeners since the 1970’s and is one of the genre-defining brands when audiophiles discuss their favourite cartridges of all time.

For over 50 years, Sugano and now his son Fumihiko have been building phono cartridges. Their legacy has been built around the unique sound quality of their products as well as their rarity and beauty. After so many years of experience, Koetsu have developed a philosophy based around the quality of the materials in the cartridge motor and how the motor interacts with the material of the body. They have selected high purity materials such as 6N copper and rare platinum iron magnets to use in their motor mechanisms. To compliment these, they have created bodies made of materials chosen for their specific sonic qualities, including aluminium, rosewood and various stones.

How does the “house sound” stack up in 2021? Lots of forum opinions and pundits to listen to, we know! You can read about them, you can google about them, you can talk about them, but nothing and we mean nothing compares to actually hearing them in person on a known rig and consistent set up.

Nirvana Sound will host an evening of critical audio listening and technical explanation on a vertical line up of Koetsu cartridges from the entry level Black to the extreme Coral Stone Platinum.

You heard right! Our inhouse vinyl tragic Mark Döhmann will setup and install each cartridge on the same tonearm (Schroder CB9) in a sequential order and play some choice cuts which allow the listener to store an audio memory of the dynamic and tonal contrasts of each cartridge.

You will be able to experience the sound of each cartridge in a unique environment and confirm for yourself if the position of the Koetsu cartridge among Moving Coil devotees is well earned.

What we can promise is “these aren’t your grandparents Koetsu’s”. Materials science has improved over the decades and the use of advanced magnetic materials, the latest damping, stylus and cantilever technology mean that Koetsu has been able to continue to innovate and in some cases leapfrog the competition.

Hear what all the fuss is about and why this brand continues to amaze and perform in the pantheon of legendary performance.

The following cartridges will be played on this evening:

• Koetsu Black
  • Koetsu Urushi Vermillion
  • Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum
  • Koetsu Coral Stone Platinum

Read more about Koetsu.

Nirvana Sound Koetsu Shoot-out Evening

Friday 20th August 2021
6pm Refreshments, 7pm -9pm Music.

Please call Mark on 0410 344 938 or contact info@nirvanasound.com to book your seat.

Koetsu-cartridge.jpg.1ee81455b3a8197ab683ebc1a5697514.jpg

Edited by Nirvana Sound
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

What a great idea.

This sounds like a fantastic event.

If it wasn't for Lockdowns/travel issues and the risk of quarantine , I'd be happy to fly over from Adelaide to attend this.

It's almost impossible to compare the different cartridges in a range at one event, and it would take a very trusting dealer to lend you multiple cartridges to try at home!

Greetings Fellow Vinyl Junkies,

Looking forward to this shoot-out evening as I have been wanting to hear Koetsu's offerings for some time, "long-time admirer first time listener”! Well not quite a fellow miscreant I know has an 80’s vintage Black cart, I remember in my youth they were renowned for their musicality and the Black I heard sounds glorious. Eager to hear the dearer stable mates which I can’t afford.

Oh, and I hope we get out of and don’t go back into lockdown again still fuming I missed out on seeing the Cowboy Junkies.

Cheers

Coral Beta Aficionado

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Marc said:

@Nirvana Sound - the website link above shows a different date to this post.

Which one is correct? Either way, D.Andrews permitting, I'm there.

Hi Marc, 

We have moved the event to Friday 15th October. We feel the current mandated Covid health protections (which we support and observe) will see the need for indoor masks and distancing being extended and this will impact the quality of the listening conditions.

• 1 month later...

• 6 months later...