Gale GS401

5 minutes ago, Leinster Lad said:

Just hypothetically, if I wanted to give the cabinets of my 401's a nice wipe over with some furniture oil, what would you gurus suggest ?

First make sure they aren't 401A's.9_9

I guess people with more wood finishing experience will weigh in , but I used to love the old Marveer that hasn't been available for decades.  The best substitute I currently know of is this:

https://www.howardproducts.com/product/feed-n-wax-wood-polish-and-conditioner/

Seems to work well on whatever I've tried it on, but I doubt it will give the long-lasting finish the old Marveer did.  That stuff made some scratches on an old pair of speakers disappear about 20 years ago, and they still look great. 

• Love 1

35 minutes ago, Leinster Lad said:

Just hypothetically, if I wanted to give the cabinets of my 401's a nice wipe over with some furniture oil, what would you gurus suggest ?

Keen to know what everyone else recommends. However maybe try Howard’s feed n wax. You can also get it is small quantities from furniture shops. 

2 minutes ago, Tony M said:

First make sure they aren't 401A's.9_9

I guess people with more wood finishing experience will weigh in , but I used to love the old Marveer that hasn't been available for decades.  The best substitute I currently know of is this:

https://www.howardproducts.com/product/feed-n-wax-wood-polish-and-conditioner/

Seems to work well on whatever I've tried it on, but I doubt it will give the long-lasting finish the old Marveer did.  That stuff made some scratches on an old pair of speakers disappear about 20 years ago, and they still look great. 

If there are scratches, bit of steel wool and the right color matched Howard’s restore n finish. It’s some sort of magic and just wipes away the years.  

16 minutes ago, Special K said:

If there are scratches, bit of steel wool and the right color matched Howard’s restore n finish. It’s some sort of magic and just wipes away the years.  

Best colour match I can see for the Gales would be the "Walnut" ?

Just now, Leinster Lad said:

Best colour match I can see for the Gales would be the "Walnut" ?

I have the chromes and have never seen the wood ones in person. Maybe best another owner chimes in on this. The biggest difference you will find is that either way any blemishes will be gone with just one wipe. Some stubborn ones may need a different approach. 

Use an oil not a wax because that will attract dust and end up grimy.

The best oil finish is Ardvos Universal Wood Oil.It also contains natural resins so will build a finish over time.You can apply with 0000 steel wool and then apply/buff subsequent coats.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

I am currently getting the crossovers redone on mine and wanted to find out if there were recommendations on which internal wiring to use.  Seems tedious to get in and out of hence, trying to get it done at the same time.  

Thanks in advance.